Breeds That Are Least Prone To Health Problems

Guest Maeby Fünke

When I was choosing a breed longevity and health were (as well as mental soundness and great temperaments) my main criteria. I ended up going with a Brittany. In our breed if you hear of a dog that dies young (under 10) usually it's an accident. Many dogs live well into their teens, last year we just lost a great Britt at 18 and we have another breed legend in WA still coming to supervise field trials at 15.

In those Finnish statistics for Britts the highest cause of death is 'Age' at 13 yrs 1 months average. The second highest cause is 'Accident' at 3 yrs 19 months average. Those two combined make up half the Britts on their database.

Edited by RallyValley

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greyhounds might be another breed to consider. Cancer is a possibility, but they are otherwise very healthy dogs. I know Hermon will have arthritis in one of his front legs due to racing, and possibly elsewhere, but my two girls never raced and I'm hopeful we might have them for another 11 years taking their age to 14.

My 3 border collies I have lost have all gone to cancer (3 different types) at 13 years, 13 years and 11 years. It seems too young to me but probably isn't the scheme of things.

Good to hear about the Britts Rallyvalley! I will have to go find the database you mention, it sounds interesting.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Although I can see why you have made a link between MCTs and pugs, there is no evidence to suggest it is genetic. In fact, I am not even sure that the prevalence of mast cell tumours is noticeably higher in the pug.

I'm really happy for you that you feel confident about this as a Pug owner and I wish I felt the same way :)

I promise you that I haven't made a link and I don't know of any.

Both my Pug's oncologists have told me that there is evidence that it is genetic. There is an actual gene that causes it and the cancer drug Palladia can switch this gene off temporarily.

The other oncologists I have spoken with have told me that they agree with what my Pug's oncologists have said and support their ideas.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

I'm sorry if I offended any Pug breeders (or breeders in general) with my comments. I just needed to vent. I'm angry and frustrated that my beautiful Pug, who I love more than anything on this earth, has cancer. I've been doing some thinking and I feel much better now. Pugs are my favourite breed and I'm not going to change to another one.

Thanks everyone for your advice and thanks again for giving me the space to vent. I really appreciate it :)

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I have never heard of a Tenterfield with cancer, but then their temperament / personality definitely doesn't suit everyone (doesn't even suit me half the time :rofl: ) I know a Manchester who has a tumour in his ear - unsure if it's cancerous or benign, but I have heard of others dying from MCT. According to that website 3/39 died from Tumours or cancer.

I know of a few border collies that have had/have Lymphoma but I'm not sure whether it's more prevalent in the breed or it's just more noticeable because there are a lot of BCs in dog sports circles.

If you love pugs - I'd still get one - sometimes it's just luck of the draw, your next one could be perfect.

Bit late to the thread. I picked a less common breed.... but not for that, just because I liked the characteristics. By chance, that meant a concentration of registered breeders serious about health issues. Also the breed standard says moderation not exaggeration in any features.

This breed has an International Health Committee with representatives from many countries.... including Australia. So there already was a background where this breed was held to be generally robust ... & tending to age well.

It was a case, then, of following up the experienced registered breeders. Results have been no major health problems with our pets until those of old age.

Edited by mita

Guest Maeby Fünke

If you love pugs - I'd still get one - sometimes it's just luck of the draw, your next one could be perfect.

Thank you :)

Guest Maeby Fünke

Bit late to the thread. I picked a less common breed.... but not for that, just because I liked the characteristics. By chance, that meant a concentration of registered breeders serious about health issues. Also the breed standard says moderation not exaggeration in any features.

This breed has an International Health Committee with representatives from many countries.... including Australia. So there already was a background where this breed was held to be generally robust ... & tending to age well.

It was a case, then, of following up the experienced registered breeders. Results have been no major health problems with our pets until those of old age.

I'm sorry, mita, what breed do you own again? I have forgotten.

Do you know the history of your pug? I remember you saying he was your sisters so I don't know if you know his background. Like, is he from a registered breeder, BYB, do you know his breeder, is is pedigree (ie: definitly purebred or could he have a tiny bit of something else in him), what was the health history of his parents, grandparents, great grand-parents, great-great-grand parents?

If it is genetic, are MCT's in his history?

Guest Maeby Fünke

Do you know the history of your pug? I remember you saying he was your sisters so I don't know if you know his background. Like, is he from a registered breeder, BYB, do you know his breeder, is is pedigree (ie: definitly purebred or could he have a tiny bit of something else in him), what was the health history of his parents, grandparents, great grand-parents, great-great-grand parents?

If it is genetic, are MCT's in his history?

I will PM you later if that's okay. It's a long story :laugh:

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I didn't say because I didn't want to 'push' my breed, Tibetan Spaniels, over your loved breed, Pugs. :) I honestly think it's much the same case as me.... track down registered breeders of Pugs with experience & great interest in health issues. And find bloodlines that are reasonably robust. But I also think breeders can't be God-like. Even with the best efforts, Nature can throw curly ones.

Here's the international work, re health, from tibbie breeders.

http://www.tibbies.net/itswp/

Guest Maeby Fünke

I didn't say because I didn't want to 'push' my breed, Tibetan Spaniels, over your loved breed, Pugs. :) I honestly think it's much the same case as me.... track down registered breeders of Pugs with experience & great interest in health issues. And find bloodlines that are reasonably robust. But I also think breeders can't be God-like. Even with the best efforts, Nature can throw curly ones.

Here's the international work, re health, from tibbie breeders.

http://www.tibbies.net/itswp/

Oh I see, thank you :)

Maeby - You contradicted yourself saying you haven't made a link but then saying your oncologist said its genetic.

I understand your angst. You're not the only pug owner battling MCTs. When I asked about genetic links I was informed there were none. :shrug:

Guest Maeby Fünke

Although I can see why you have made a link between MCTs and pugs, there is no evidence to suggest it is genetic. In fact, I am not even sure that the prevalence of mast cell tumours is noticeably higher in the pug.

I'm really happy for you that you feel confident about this as a Pug owner and I wish I felt the same way :)

I promise you that I haven't made a link and I don't know of any.

Both my oncologists have told me that there is evidence that it is genetic. There is an actual gene that causes it and the cancer drug Palladia can switch this gene off temporarily.

The other oncologists I have spoken with have told me that they agree with what my oncologists have said and support their ideas.

Ohhhhh, I've remembered what they've said now! Light bulb moment!

Mast Cell Tumours are caused by the mutation of a gene called a c-kit oncogene, which signals the tumours to start multiplying. Oncologists aren't sure exactly what causes the gene to mutate in the first place, but they believe it could be due to a combination of things like chronic infection and inflammation (which damages the DNA) and a weakening of the immune system.

And Pugs are one of the breeds that are prone to this mutating gene. I'm not sure what that means though! It is very frustrating!

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

Maeby - You contradicted yourself saying you haven't made a link but then saying your oncologist said its genetic.

I understand your angst. You're not the only pug owner battling MCTs. When I asked about genetic links I was informed there were none. :shrug:

I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean "by making a link" :confused:

Greyhounds might be another breed to consider. Cancer is a possibility, but they are otherwise very healthy dogs. I know Hermon will have arthritis in one of his front legs due to racing, and possibly elsewhere, but my two girls never raced and I'm hopeful we might have them for another 11 years taking their age to 14.

Osteosarcoma (bone cancer)is common in Greyhounds, I know a few amputees :(

Edited by stans mum

Osteosarcoma (bone cancer)is common in Greyhounds, I know a few amputees :(

yes, all of the long boned dogs/big sighthounds seem prone to it. I have lost 2 Borzoi that way, one was already old but the other only 7, too cruel. I think they are making progress on identifying the genetic susceptibility, that is a test I will be rushing to do when it becomes available. Bloat and osteosarcoma are the two to look out for most in my breed, it does pretty well otherwise, there are other issues but they are the big ones. Thank God I haven't experienced bloat as yet.

Edited by Diva