Puppy & Baby Help!

jaydenjessica

Separation, separation, separation.

An 8 week old puppy has no bite inhibition. A 7 month old child is just a chew toy to them.

Puppy and baby never to be on the floor at the same time for a long time yet. Yes, its cute but it's not SAFE.

Crate for puppy or child pen and gates for baby.

Not what I call ideal timing to add a pup to the family but with care and vigilance you can make it work. Until pup has bite inhibition (which you must teach) and a basic level of obedience training, including a good "leave it" response. I'd be going for total separation.

It will be the same when baby learns to walk and plays outside. Separate an area of the backyard for the dog and allow the child only in the other area.

AWL Qld are running a Dogs and New babies program, perhaps phone AWL in Vic to see if they run a similar program.

Here is the link--> http://www.awlqld.co...t-paws-program/

Pregnant Paws Program

Families all too often surrender their companion animals to pounds and refuges because they are expecting, or have recently welcomed, a new baby in their home.

coverpage-web.jpgAWLQ believes that many of these families may have reconsidered their decision to give up their animals if only they had had access to quality information about keeping both their babies and animals safe in the home. The Pregnant Paws program was therefore developed to encourage pet owners to take a 'pregnant pause' and become informed before making the decision to give up their animals due to pregnancy or a new baby in the family.

The program may be accessed in a variety of ways; through our Pregnant Paws Guide, by inviting one of our Education Officers to Guest Speak at your antenatal class or by accessing our Help and Advice Line.

The Pregnant Paws Guide is an information booklet that gives tips on how people can prepare their animals for the arrival of a new baby, keep their newborn babies safe around their cats and dogs, as well as pet safety for pregnant mums with their companion animals. It also highlights the benefits of animal companions for pregnant women and babies and gives advice on how to nurture and develop the relationship between a family pet and a new baby.

Download a FREE copy of the guide by clicking below

Pregnant Paws – Booklet

If you are a pregnant mum attending an antenatal class at your hospital, or a midwife who leads an antenatal program, then why not invite an AWLQ Education Officer to come and Guest Speak at your next class? Our Education Officer is available free of charge to come and answer any questions you or your expectant mums have about safety with animals and babies and provide you with a wealth of resources to access further information about the topic. For more information contact the AWLQ Education Division.

Help and advice is also available to those who are worried about managing their pets during pregnancy, or concerned about the safety of their new baby around their animals. The education team is available during business hours to discuss issues related to cat and dog behaviour and training, and to direct you to further help or resources that may be needed. Contact the Education Division.

Lovely, KC - but to the OP - please note that this is a situation where the dog is a trained adult

Yes, any time then was when I got my kelpie as they are the same age so he was raised with the kelpie pup and then my older two children were raised with the basset pup. The only one who hasn't had to live with a puppy while they were a baby is my youngest daughter, apparently I'm a sucker for punishment LOL

Val Bonney has a new book out called "Hey Baby: who's the boss" or something like that

Can't find my copy at the moment, but remember it is full of sensible advice about rearing animals with children

Google her web site for details

Edited by JRG

Definitely get a crate (i.e. cage) for your pup.

Supervision doesn't work.

Even IF you could do it 100% (who can?).

It can all go to hell before you have a chance to intervene.

Crates are only about $60 on ebay.

Easy to line with cardboard & newspaper for puppy accidents, change to a bed when pup old enough.

A crate's a great safe place for both puppy/dog (away from any naughty visitors) who might play the wrong kinds of games.

Is a dog den, not "cage" for those that don't like the idea because of what they look like.

eta: This was the link I was looking for... Why Supervising Dogs and Kids Doesn't Work

http://www.robinkbennett.com/2013/08/19/why-supervising-dogs-and-kids-doesnt-work/

Edited by Poodle wrangler