My Dog Keeps Getting Fleas...

So about a month ago myself and my Papillon moved into an apartment. It's awesome, we're both so happy and loving life.

We live in a fairly small building, most of the people here have pets. Downstairs my neighbour has a beautiful BC mix. He unfortunately has fleas 24/7. I've tried to politely talk to him about prevention, but he's adamant that they die when he takes him to the beach for a swim.

Now, Scooter comes to work with me (dog groomer) 5 days a week and never used to get fleas before we moved in here, despite living with four other dogs at our last place! I'm convinced he's catching them from the grass outside the building. He's on Panoramis but still manages to get fleas on him when we get home. Yesterday I wasn't even at work and he had them when I brought him back upstairs after a toilet break.

What can I do? I have been bathing him once a week with flea shampoo at work but I worry about the chemicals. That, and it only seems to keep them at bay for a couple of days. He's on pill form flea control, as I said above, since I would wash something like Advocate off in two weeks! I don't want to give him Capstar as it would send me broke. Bad dog owner alert, haha.

Would a flea bomb work? I know flea collars are generally poo-pooed but would it work in this scenario? It's driving me bonkers, he's never had fleas before, and they keep crawling around his face :( I bought a small bottle of the Fidos flea-rinse concentrate and was considering putting it in a spray bottle and spraying him every day, but once again I'm worried this will do more harm than good.

BLERGH FLEAS!!!

Flea collars are pretty much a waste of time. It could be just as effective to tie a $10 note around his neck !

The manufacturers of Advantage and Advocate claim that the product stops fleas from feeding within 5 minutes of contact with a treated animal and that it will kill those fleas within 20 minutes of contact. These products are also said to be waterproof within one hour of application.

Perhaps you would be better off using one of these products and then bathing him less. If you are using flea shampoo so frequently and it isnt working then you need to try something different.

It will be best to flea-bomb your apartment to make sure that it isnt a point of reinfestation.

I run a boarding kennel and training classes, country area with loads of bush and various grasses, chooks, cows etc..... my 4 dogs mix with the lot.... and always had to keep an eye on the fleas - would apply the spot on types each month thru the summer months and then less in colder times - been here over 20 years.

Interestingly enough for the last 12 months I haven't had a problem.... spot on applied last december and not again till may and that was because we had a litter of pups and just as precaution, still watching now to see when i need to apply. Nothing has changed except the diet that I am now using.....

Don't know if this is the reason but perhaps it is worth considering the diet the dog is on...... obviously my diet has suited the dogs better and perhaps has improved their natural antibodies or such like..... coats definately thicker and glossier and poos firm and dry and easier to pick up.

So perhaps think about the diet and exercise as well as other methods such as bombing or spot ons.

My friend had a bad infestation when they moved house about 2 years ago. They thought it was coming out of the grass in the back yard as they were still visiting the same parks and dogs as they were before. So they bombed the house, sprayed the backyard and spot-on treated the dog and the cat. That knocked the lot out and from then on they just continuted with the spot-on treatment each month with no problems.

I agree with what has been said above. I would stop washing so much and just use a spot-on treatment. Also i would get some spray from Bunnings and do the grass area outside that you were talking about. You can get some pet friendly ones. Maybe do it at night so that there is less chance that a dog will come into contact with it just in case and then bomb your unit (most can be set off in the morning and you can return home that afternoon and still be safe.

From memory you can use the spot treatment every 2 weeks (my aunt used to do it when she lived in a tick prone area during summer). I dont think you would need to if you tackle every other aspect but if you wanted too you could do 2 doses in the first month just to make sure you knock it all out.

Other option is to just avoid that grassed area altogether if that is where you think they are coming from....

Thanks for the advice everyone.

He is already on monthly preventative treatment, as I said in my original post. I don't want to double up by using a spot-on as well. I have a flea bomb here that I will set off tomorrow morning as we leave for work for the day. He's almost due again so I guess I can buy the spot-on as well and see if it works better than the Panoramis.

I'll suss out the spray option. Do you guys find if you treat your dogs and spray and bomb that they will still bring fleas home? We have to walk past the apartment with the flea infested dog every day, and even when I was carrying Scooter out of the building and over the grass, he would still end up with a traveller once we got home.

Its a hard problem to fix when other dogs in the complex are not treated. Do most people rent? The guy with the BC he refuses to treat is the type that spoils it for others who need pet friendly rentals. His place must be really infested - the owner would not be impressed :(

Unfortunately your little dog is paying the price - not much you can do except keep treating him with spot ons - not fair that he has to be subjected to chemical overload :(

Why not give both Bayer (Advocate/Advantage) and Meriel (Frontline Plus) a ring on their helplines and get some professional advice in this unusual situation? I personally wouldn't be using Panoramis and it doesn't seem to be doing its job.

Frontline Spray can be very effective as well, so again, give them a call (or pm me and I'll give you the reps numbers for both companies).

Sags

:)

So do you all recommend the spot ons over the edible forms of flea prevention?

Because I am having so much difficulty with both my cats and dogs... The cats are on spot on and i have never seen a flea, but they do itch so i assume they are there, but the dogs are on comfortis.

So do you all recommend the spot ons over the edible forms of flea prevention?

Because I am having so much difficulty with both my cats and dogs... The cats are on spot on and i have never seen a flea, but they do itch so i assume they are there, but the dogs are on comfortis.

If any of your animals are itchy it doesn't necessarily mean fleas. They might have an allergic dermatitis making them itchy. There are many causes of itchiness in animals and it's not always flea related. :(

The only product that has worked quickly and reliably during the current flea plague that we are seeing in our area is Comfortis. Although Capstar works very well for one off use if the animals have come in contact with a flea infestation whilst out and about, but if they are coming in contact with them daily you would be having to use it every second day. For infestation in your own home/yard treating the environment as well as all pets is the only solution.