Entire Dogs Always Told Off For Mounting

Simply Grand

Just after opinions/experiences for interest's sake. Chatting about dog and owner behaviour with some colleagues today, the story came up of someone who owned an entire dog who was told off (pretty firmly I gather) for any mounting behaviour for his whole life - 4 yrs at the time. They then wanted to mate this boy so brought in a bitch in season but the boy never showed any interest in her. One colleague believed that the dog refused to mount the bitch as he had always been told off for it, I thought it was more likely that the bitch wasn't at the right stage yet as I thought his natural drive to get to her would over-ride beig taught not to mount in general life.

I know there are all sorts of variables in an individual situation, and I don't know anything about the above situation other than what I've written so there could be all sorts of reasons why it didn't happen with that dog, so that's really just background as to why I'm asking the question, which is:

Do you think an entire dog can be trained not to mount/hump to the extent that he actually wouldn't attempt to mate with a receptive bitch in season in with him?

They don't all have a strong urge. The stud we used showed almost no interest in my bitch and she was desperately trying to get him interested! She is a complete tart when in season and was shoving it in his face and apart from a couple of sniffs and a half hearted attempt to put one leg on her he just kept moving away. We ended up doing AI and he was much more receptive to human ladies than he was another dog :)

I have often heard in rhe past that one of the problems with stud dogs in 'pet homes' is that they are often told off for mounting and that this affects their performance, and was often told never to tell them off (just 'move them on') so their future performance was not affected. I don't think it would necessarily affect every dog, but certainly in some situations do think that it could.

Hehe RB, human ladies :D

Thanks for the responses, very interesting, obviously it can happen, which makes sense as I suppose we train them not to follow other natural instincts. I guess I thought that while plenty of people may want to teach their dog not to hump not many are trying to teach it when entire dog and bitch in season are together so in that situation instinct would take over. I suppose it depends on the individual dog's temperament and drive, and the level of aversive the owner has used (in the context of that particular dog).

Edited by Simply Grand

This is well documented in horses. If colts are habitually chastised for being 'interested' around mares many are reluctant to serve when placed at stud. I have had stallions who know the rearing bit is for serving but the bridle is for working.

YEs it can happen. I know a dog who would not go near the very receptive bitch when his owner was anywhere near him. Remove the owner job done.

My boys are never told off for mounting humping behaviour towards a bitch coming into season or in season. If they hump something else (like the pet lamb!!) they are pushed off and distracted but not chastised. HUmping when no bitches are in season is reprimanded but I don't think Lewis has every actually done that.