Neighbours Dog Being Abused?

aussiecattledog

Ok so today I was eating my dinner and I look outside the window to see a quick affair in which my neighbour pushes his dog outside and kicks it in the head a few times aggressively. I was left pretty stunned and honestly quite disgusted :mad The poor dog, a lovely female dalmation named Daisy, was cowering in a corner, obviously afraid (ears back, tail low, crouching low .ect) as the man had pushed her outside and kicked her in the head a few times. Now I don't really know these neighbours, I've only seen them once walking there dog (which also makes me quite upset :( ) and only visited to retrieve a ball that went over the fence. I have however seen members of the family around, the man seems to be a very strict and very dominant sort of person, I don't mean to sterotype or be offensive in any way, it's just the impression I get and now that I've seen whats happened its made me anxious :( I haven't told anyone about this yet, it literally happened almost 3 hours ago, and I am really not sure what to do. Does this count as animal abuse? I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing that would count as dog abuse according to the law (although it most certainly should be - no animal deserves to be treated that way). can you help me on what to do? I want to report this as soon as possible, in fact after i've typed this I'm going straight to the RSVPA website to see what I can do. All help is appreciated thanks.

I live in melbourne if that helps

It'll be a he said she said thing. You can report it but unlikely anything will happen without proof. I'm used to seeing that behaviour as I work with a lot of farmers who think that kind of action leads to a well behaved dog, but it just leads to a dog too fearful for most things. It's like hitting your head against a brick wall.

It'll be a he said she said thing. You can report it but unlikely anything will happen without proof. I'm used to seeing that behaviour as I work with a lot of farmers who think that kind of action leads to a well behaved dog, but it just leads to a dog too fearful for most things. It's like hitting your head against a brick wall.

Yes that's true, and very unfortunate :( hopefully I'll be able to get evidence and report this, that poor dog doesn't deserve it. I looked up on laws regarding animal cruelty and found in the 'Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Legislation' that cruelty can be (but is not limited to, there was much more on the page although it didn't apply to my case)

A person who—

wounds, mutilates, tortures, overrides, overdrives, overworks, abuses, beats, worries, torments or terrifies an animal

So i'm definately going to try report this, if i can

...and if this is a once-off ....perhaps

Do you know what the dog had done immediately prior to what you saw?It is so hard when one sees something out of their comfort zone ... Abuse is undesirable , however , if the dog had snapped at someone, wrecked something, bitten someone .... there may have been a fairly violent reaction from a frustrated owner ...

Kicking a dog in the head is not good .... but,

a dog kicked properly would have broken bones /and/or be laid out . So .. I presume that sort of kicking was not what you saw.

have you seen the dog since ? Where does she sleep normally ? is she in good condition ? I hope she's OK .

Just breathe ...

you have no evidence unless the dog has visible injuries , unfortunately , and I am SURE the RSPCA gets many complaints against neighbours ...not all of which are legit. :(

As hard as it is ..IF dog looks OK , and you have no photos/sound recordings etc ... wait & gather evidence before you report, and possibly make an enemy of a neighbour capable of retaliating and harming your own dogs :(

Absolutely I would report it!!!! Wouldn't even think twice. Daisy has no one to stand up for her, poor dog - there is not EVER an excuse for kicking a dog in the head, I don't care what the dog might have done. :mad

Absolutely I would report it!!!! Wouldn't even think twice. Daisy has no one to stand up for her, poor dog - there is not EVER an excuse for kicking a dog in the head, I don't care what the dog might have done. :mad

100% in aggrence with this...... I would report him without a second thought as well. NO excuses for kicking a dog.... If there is nothing that can be done then so be it but I couldn't witness any act of animal cruelity & not do anything about it. My consience wouldn't allow me to. Poor Daisy girl :( I hope something can be done to help her very soon before she is more seriousily injured.

So that makes it okay to do nothing :mad:mad

...and if this is a once-off ....perhaps

Do you know what the dog had done immediately prior to what you saw?It is so hard when one sees something out of their comfort zone ... Abuse is undesirable , however , if the dog had snapped at someone, wrecked something, bitten someone .... there may have been a fairly violent reaction from a frustrated owner ...

Kicking a dog in the head is not good .... but,

a dog kicked properly would have broken bones /and/or be laid out . So .. I presume that sort of kicking was not what you saw.

have you seen the dog since ? Where does she sleep normally ? is she in good condition ? I hope she's OK .

Just breathe ...

you have no evidence unless the dog has visible injuries , unfortunately , and I am SURE the RSPCA gets many complaints against neighbours ...not all of which are legit. :(

As hard as it is ..IF dog looks OK , and you have no photos/sound recordings etc ... wait & gather evidence before you report, and possibly make an enemy of a neighbour capable of retaliating and harming your own dogs :(

I'm surprised and shocked that you seem to be just shrugging and saying, c'est la vie, persephone.

AND, while the RSPCA might only be able to pay the owner a visit with a verbal warning, it might be enough to make him think twice about doing it again.

Exactly.

Reporting something can be very scary, but it is the decent thing to do.

No, it makes it pointless to do anything. You grow up in the country and you learn when to say something and when to keep your mouth shut. These farmers love and appreciate their dogs, they've just been raised to train them this way. Educating the younger generation is how I'm combating this, rather then calling the RSPCA who never come out anyway.

I'm surprised and shocked that you seem to be just shrugging and saying, c'est la vie, persephone.

:( not saying that - rather being devil's advocate .

Without evidence , reports/gossip can go wrong , and my main concern here is that if the man 'just' gets chatted .... and there is no sign of something he can be charged with ... that he will take out his anger/frustration on his poor dog .. or the OP's dogs ....and that is not anything to rush into.

I asked about the dog's appearance /behaviour - as any injury/ problem would be solid evidence to something happening. If the owner did kick the dog with force - yes there would be pretty severe injuries . The poor dog would need an intervention to get help, and he could then have a case to answer.

NOT condoning, rather trying to understand and project ... (or something :o )

I agree. As you said too Clyde, even if there is no evidence they may talk to him and make him think twice.

I just couldn't ignore it. I've seen dogs abused and it's a horrible feeling :(

No, it makes it pointless to do anything. You grow up in the country and you learn when to say something and when to keep your mouth shut. These farmers love and appreciate their dogs, they've just been raised to train them this way. Educating the younger generation is how I'm combating this, rather then calling the RSPCA who never come out anyway.

I wasn't aware that a Dalmatian was a working dog :shrug:. When a man abuses a woman and tells her he loves her, it is a domestic violence offence.

When a farmer abuses his dog, it is called love and appreciation.

Sorry - don't buy it.

:( not saying that - rather being devil's advocate.

Considering that a Devil's Advocate was originally someone appointed by the Vatican to see whether someone deserved to be a saint or not, I don't really have much faith in devil's advocates. I have a niece who hallenges just about everything you say and then says she is just being devil's advocate. What it boils down to is an excuse to do nothing and to come out on neither side.