How Do You Afford Your Dog/s

lilypily

And if you are a heavy mobile user (eg no landline), then the Amaysim Unlimited Plan at $39.90/month if you own your own phone might be worth considering too - I always know exactly what my monthly phone bill will be - makes budgeting very easy.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And insurances, I ring every 12 months and have not yet been knocked back a discount, I'm just finalising a claim and will be calling them this week to see if they can do the same. Even if it's only s few dollars a week, it all adds up.

And insurances, I ring every 12 months and have not yet been knocked back a discount, I'm just finalising a claim and will be calling them this week to see if they can do the same. Even if it's only s few dollars a week, it all adds up.

Yep thats right Teebs. I've saved hundreds simply by ringing around every time one of my insurances fall due. I've just this week changed my car insurer and saved $89.00! thumbsup1.gif Better in my pocket than theirs!

Edited by westiemum

I do that with gas and elec too. If you threaten to leave they will give you a discount.

Credit card retention people will also give you deals on repayments etc if you threaten to leave, so will Foxtel.

I also got a discount on my home insurance because I have dogs so if your home insurance don't know you have dogs tell them too. It's extra security.

Edited by Aussie3

This is one thing I HAVE to do. My home insurance is a killer. To many gadgets in this house and I never realised until a lap top was dropped that it wasn't covered :mad So i'v had to seperately list everything like ipod, DS,Wii, laptops, ipads, mobile phones etc: I pay by the month and it's a nasty amount.

That's on the to do list this week, find a better deal.

I tried looking for a better deal on my car insurance. Yep Real was Real cheap :laugh: but would only insure my car for a maximum of $9,400 :eek: I stuck with AAMI, yes dearer, but my car is insured for $15,000. I thought it's just not worth the risk, knowing my luck someone would rear end me and write the car off.

I've just moved my insurance to coles, I figure if I have to pay insurance I may as well get the flybuys points. I got 10,000 points for each car (and they price beat so it is $2 less/month) which are worth $50, and 40,000 points for the health insurance which is worth $200, plus one month free health insurance so we saved about $200 on that too. All the flybuys points are getting saved for christmas food and treats :)

I'll bet most of us do without a lot of eating out and going out to have more time (and money) to spend on our dogs.

Absolutely. I have friends that I cannot keep up with because they are always eating out and going away for weekends, I can't afford to do it at all and feel bad if what they are proposing is too expensive and I suggest a cheaper option for a special occasion ...

I don't take holidays for years, just had a week's holiday, my first in 3 years and my company paid the flights for the work I did up there the week before, it was no more expensive to fly back a week later so that's how I managed that.

Edited by dogmad

I've just moved my insurance to coles, I figure if I have to pay insurance I may as well get the flybuys points. I got 10,000 points for each car (and they price beat so it is $2 less/month) which are worth $50, and 40,000 points for the health insurance which is worth $200, plus one month free health insurance so we saved about $200 on that too. All the flybuys points are getting saved for christmas food and treats :)

Good idea. I do love my flybuys.

I often pick up road kill. The dogs like roo meat and the cost is just right

People think i'm a weirdo when I say that if I knew it was fresh I'd happily eat road kill, I LOVE roo!

My lovely father is lending me the $500 for my bassets bad tooth this week. Yes I could have insurance but she's 5 years old and this is the first time she's had any issues, my kelpie is 9 and has only ever had one real issue which cost us about $600. We do have a credit card we can use in emergencies but getting it off dad saves the interest. I considered insurance but decided to take my chances given my careful choice of breeder, puppy, food and exercise regime. So far it's paid off, over the course of three dogs(over 20 years total of dog life) we've spent less than $2000 on non-routine stuff, would have cost us a lot more than that for insurance.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Local pet shop makes all natural meatloaf 1 kilo aprox $ 2-00 feeds my cav for about 6 meals

raw chicken mince a kilo about $2-00 also about 6 meals

I did a bulk buy one day about $25-00 and when seperated it , it worked out to about 40+ meals for her

when had 40 kilo and 20 kilo dog , packet mince from supermarket then potatoes and vegies mada a good amoutn of meals for them

I try and buy meat in bulk when on speical for us and fill freezer up

i tend to buy more frozen vegies as they do seem to last longer

fresh cauli and brocoli though

Maggie Potatoe bakes sachets makes a good meal for small costs

and can add bits to it , like small amount bacon etc

Aliance car insurcance full comprehnsive for $25-00 a month for a car 2003 Getz

did drop out house insurance few years back

private health is one of my biggest ones a month but manage to rob peter to pay paul sort of thing

have prepaid mobile and wifi , cheaper than some plans

you can also get a upfront loan from CL or pensions which can help out if big bill if needed but remember you will be down about $40-00 a pay , I always take mine out every year and keep in bank for any emergancy

a gold coin jar or a $5-00 jar helps ,, it ceratinly builds up for christmas or emergency also

I use to grow vegies but the water cost sent it up just for birds and possums to eat lol

Pensioner plus accounts dont take fees out

I dont have pet insurance as when worked it out it was worse tha my private insurance , so credit card helps in in a situation and can be paid off monthly

I dropped half my income when finished work and whent on pension , it was hard to start with but over years have managed to keep just above water

last month or so have had big vet bills , but that coin jar comes in handy if dont touch it during the year or over the years

my hardest times are when power bill , gas and phone all come in within a month , but gets extensions and manage to keep good credit rateing , If they know you struggling they also help

as long as they know they happy to receive regular payments