Dog Tennis Balls?

Steph M

Morning all!

I was at the beach yesterday and a friend of mine mentioned you shouldn't be throwing tennis balls for dogs if they’re human tennis balls because the ‘glue and coating’ are different on human tennis balls to dog tennis balls.

Is this a load of poopie and a way to sell ‘special’ tennis balls out of pet shops (this friend works in a pet store and did learn that from her boss, so I am dubious) or is there a real risk (other than choking)?

It doesn't make much difference to us, Gus isn't big on tennis balls unless he finds one down the park and then it’s a rare treasure and one to be shown off to everyone, but an interesting point as I think we've always had tennis balls floating around… Eeek!

Edited by Steph M

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't use tennis balls at the beach because the sand they hold is abrasive to their teeth. We have a good supply of Fantastic Foam balls from Clean Run & they are virtually indestructible & also float well :)

It is true, it is also really easy for dogs to 'strip' tennis balls and rip the fur off them, then chew the inside ball into pieces. At the end of the day tennis balls even good quality ones are made for playing tennis, not as a dog toy, so they will never be as good or as suitable as a toy designed specifically for dogs.

Obviously lots of people use tennis balls for their dogs, but I also find they don't last long. ChuckIt make a range of balls called Ultra Balls which are similar to tennis balls but rubber, they are heaps bouncier and they are a great alternative to tennis balls. As someone who has a dog who is ball mad and would literally retrieve a ball for hours, I think it is worth investing in quality toys. They last longer, they are usually more fun for the dog, and they are safer for them to play with.

Edited by huski

My favouritest balls are high-bounce ones from rebel sport, usually in a bin by the counter. They are tough, float, and are bright colours to find easily in the grass. I've never found a tennis ball that lasts more than one or two outings but the bouncy ones last us months :)

The tooth abrasion thing is an issue with us since Chess had already lost a fair bit off the ends of her teeth by the time we'd adopted her :/

Edited by TheLBD

With regards to choosing non-traditional tennis balls, I have found it is more about the durability of the tennis ball rather than the damage they might do. There are an awful large number of dogs who get a tennis ball thrown for them every day and an awful lot of flyball dogs who fetch a lot of tennis balls. There is no real proof that these dogs are needing to change balls to 'dog' ones.

I will say that our flyball club does buy special tennis balls (all the way from America last time!) That is nothing to do with the coating etc though. It is so that the ball is solid and not hollow. They don't pop when chewed by the dog so they don't disintegrate like normal tennis balls do.

Tennis balls, human or dog type, will wear down the teeth. Sandy or not. I have seen that happen. Didn't matter if it was the traditional tennis ball or the special solid ones we bought just for flyball though.

I tend to stick to dummy shaped things as Gus is better bringing them back, no idea why but he's just not a big ball dog. (No pun or anything inappropriate!)

We do have a ChuckIt ball he loves, but he would pick a longer shape any day of the week.

I had no idea. Pretty sure everyone has a tennis ball or two hanging about the yard!

Pardon my skepticism too, I had no idea and it is one of those age-old things, dogs and tennis balls. Lucky I run them over with the mower too often to have many about. Haha.

My (aka Wisdom's) number one favourite at the moment would probably the Swing'n'Fling durafoam ball, I use it in training a lot but also out and about as it floats and she really loves it, she can tug on it and chase it. It isn't super bouncy though, for bounciness I like the Ultra or Erratic balls or we also have Hurley which she loves (well she loves anything really :laugh:) which is a stick shape but is quite bouncy.

Pardon my skepticism too, I had no idea and it is one of those age-old things, dogs and tennis balls. Lucky I run them over with the mower too often to have many about. Haha.

LOL. Wisdom's Hurley toy got run over by the ride on mower, but it was unscathed :eek: :laugh:

A common tennis ball lasts a minute or 2 before Scout cracks it open like a walnut. Kong tennis balls last a bit longer. His solid Kong ball has lasted for years [but it's too heavy to play inside with as he likes to toss balls to chase them].

Hahahaha glad it's not just my long suffering mower...

Gus's best fetchy friend is a Tyre Biter retriever.

Although more than 2 people have pointed out to me it looks like a sex toy so it hides in my bag when it isn't in his gob.

Admittedly it does....

http://www.prestigepetproducts.com.au/productimages/94-31040F.jpg

:offtopic: There are a surprising number of dog toys out there that look a bit 'suspicious', or maybe I Just have a dirty mind :laugh:

Although more than 2 people have pointed out to me it looks like a sex toy so it hides in my bag when it isn't in his gob.

Admittedly it does....

http://www.prestigep...s/94-31040F.jpg

:offtopic: There are a surprising number of dog toys out there that look a bit 'suspicious', or maybe I Just have a dirty mind :laugh:

Steph & Huski ~snorts~ pmsl :laugh:

Admittedly it does....

You guys should subscribe to dog snobs. They have a blog post occasionally where you have to choose which is the dog toy...and which...isn't. :laugh:

Admittedly it does....

You guys should subscribe to dog snobs. They have a blog post occasionally where you have to choose which is the dog toy...and which...isn't. :laugh:

Glad it wasn't just the dirty old men down the park that saw it. You don't know yourself until you find yourself welding that down the park!

There is a tennis club right next to a park we frequent so Elsie always has tennis balls at the park, she trots off to the bushes and brings them out. Last night she had 8 of them, I thought it was a bit over the top so I threw them back over the fence (much to her disgust).