Dog Tennis Balls?

Steph M

Dog snobs is hilarious. I just read the entire blog this afternoon. People at work now think I'm completely bonkers after sending them the sex toy or dog toy pictures

Hehe. Yeah the first time I saw the safestix I stopped dead in Petstock, I mean seriously, same colours and everything?! :hitself: I was actually trying to think about how they could change the colours to make it look obviously like a dog toy, but yeah...I got nothin'. :laugh:

In tennis ball related matters - our fav here is 'other cuz' they have been the best for distance and bounce so far.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scout has a large Evil Cuz, he killed the squeaker in it relatively quickly from over dooshing [front paw slamming] it. The Dexter Elephant on the other hand, has remained squeakable and he dooshes it and chews it a lot. But again it's rather heavy and he has to be careful with it inside.

I have small cuz, other cuz, iqueak and dexter the elephant and the dexter has the most protected squeaker with thicker rubber around it (on his feet) it is much harder for the dogs to chew the squeaker up.

My Kelpie is ball obsessed and is very fussy when it comes to balls ... She only likes tennis balls, I have bought her numerous balls and she just turns her nose up at them all.... I have tried the Cuz ball, the Kong but nope .

Edited by ♦ Marg ♦

My girl is very ball fussy too. What is it with these girls LOL.. She wont have a bar of a tennis ball. You can throw one all day & she will watch you, but wont chase it. It has to be a rubber ball. Her fav is the Chuck it Ultra. Looooves them. Costs me a bomb not cause they break or anything they are tuff as but I am a terrible shot LOL :)

Edited by BC Crazy

• 2 months later...

Ditto on the fussy. Has to be a tennis ball - NOTHING else will suffice.

I was told by a Lab owner that you should get "people" tennis balls - Ideally a band name as they last longer than the cheapies in the pet section. They're moulded differently.

I have to agree - the only ones which have split have been the kmart ones so far.

With regards to choosing non-traditional tennis balls, I have found it is more about the durability of the tennis ball rather than the damage they might do. There are an awful large number of dogs who get a tennis ball thrown for them every day and an awful lot of flyball dogs who fetch a lot of tennis balls. There is no real proof that these dogs are needing to change balls to 'dog' ones.

I will say that our flyball club does buy special tennis balls (all the way from America last time!) That is nothing to do with the coating etc though. It is so that the ball is solid and not hollow. They don't pop when chewed by the dog so they don't disintegrate like normal tennis balls do.

Tennis balls, human or dog type, will wear down the teeth. Sandy or not. I have seen that happen. Didn't matter if it was the traditional tennis ball or the special solid ones we bought just for flyball though.

There is probably more toxicity to be chewed on in the back yard than a tennis ball.......I tend to agree that toxicity scares is a good marketing approach for dog products from someone more focused on earning a quid given that I haven't had a tennis ball crazy dog live a shorter life than 12 1/2 years old, the oldest 15? Hard court tennis balls are the most durable we have found!

My GSD girl loves tennis balls...costs me a small fortune. :laugh:

Our local tennis club donates used balls to the local school & also to dog rescue :thumbsup:

The other day I picked up 10 dozen balls to be circulated to Canberra / NSW foster carers. The balls are like new, hardly worn at all, especially the competition balls.

Jodie is our only dog interested in tennis balls and has access to the very best human tennis balls (Wilson, Slazenger, Penn) that seem to last her forever - OH is a tennis coach :) We have buckets of them. Can't walk through the house or backyard without stepping on them.

Of course, she prefers Kong Air squeaky balls, even if the squeaker breaks within the first few hours!

Our local tennis club donates used balls to the local school & also to dog rescue :thumbsup:

The other day I picked up 10 dozen balls to be circulated to Canberra / NSW foster carers. The balls are like new, hardly worn at all, especially the competition balls.

That's amazing! I wonder how you do about sorting that one out? Do you have more info I'd love to look into it.

That's amazing! I wonder how you do about sorting that one out? Do you have more info I'd love to look into it.

Just contact a committee member of your local tennis club & ask them if the club would be willing to donate used balls to dog rescue? We have a great network of rescuers in the Canberra area & a wonderful person who not only distributes donated items to rescue organisations, but also busies herself with making toys out of tennis balls & old footy socks :thumbsup:

Lets see - dog tennis balls they last about 3 1/2 seconds, normal tennis balls maybe 5 minutes but tournament tennis balls - the really tough ones well he has had them for best part of a year and he hastn cracked the inside of it yet. Dogs teeth chew on bones - I don't think a bit of tennis ball covering is going to do a lot of damage. Sorry but considering what else they chew on a tennis ball is fairly soft and flexing a ball isn't going to grind down teeth.