What To Look For In A Reputable Breeder?

snusnu95

Since I almost fell for a marketing trick I am now nervous about what makes a reputable breeder. The breeder should ask about your situation and you should ask the breeder stuff about genetic testing, how often the dam is bred etc. Does anyone have any advice for a first time buyer of a registered purebred dog?

Also a family member wants to rush and just get the first dog. How do I convince her that this is a long process and worth the wait? I have told her that she may purchase whatever she pleases, but I will be taking no part in training which has halted her a little bit because she needs me to train. How do I convincr her this process is worth it if it takes a year or so?

This is an incredibly difficult question. Many of the best websites are owned by the dodgiest and most dishonest people. Lovely shady acres, nice buildings, marvellous text (often stolen from other websites), cute pups. It all sounds soooo wonderful, and the pups look soooo cute.

Tests - you need to research which breeds need which tests. I have some dogs here and who are clear of two of the biggest nasties in the breed BY PARENTAGE - which means they can't have the problem because the parents were tested clear. How do I get that over to puppy buyers? There are NO certificates, the certificates belong to their parents.

Some tests are done by breeders for show only ... the disease is very rare but they look good if they test, and they are probably quite responsible breeders

Ask a friend who has a dog who is not sick, and which you like, where he came from. Ask someone at the dog park.

Phone the breeder, and speak to them .... but the dodgiest often have the talk down pat. Ask to visit their property and see the pups --- you may not be allowed to pat or touch the pups, but at least you can see. However, many genuine breeders do not allow anyone and everyone to come and see the pups. And that is because there are some scammers out there, and there are also people who want to spend their Sundays visiting pups without any intention of buying one, and after wasting a few sundays doing that, breeders lose interest!!

Ask on dogzonline.

If I wanted another breed, I have no idea who is a good breeder and who is not, but I would ask a breeder for a recommendation.

Try to buy from someone who has genuine care and regard for their babies, who has bitches who are well loved family members, who are in good health, with no ribs sticking out - with playful pups who run up to see you. This doesn't guarantee all will be well, but it is a good beginning.

Also ask to see the pedigree. there should be a few Ch in front of some of the names, and maybe an (imp) or two. If the whole pedigree consists of names with not one ch I would look elsewhere!! The needs not be the parent, but maybe a grandparent etc.

Others will have other ideas, take them all on board, and use them all.

And don't feel bad. In 1950 something, my mother sought a show dacshund. She approached a CCCQ councillor and purchased a pup which she was assured was a show pup. As time progressed the pup's legs grew longer and longer, and it became quite apparent that the pup was in fact a terrier X. The breeder refused to take the pup back, or refund, but my mother had some methods which saw him take the pup back and refund.

It's been going on for a long time. :)

I'm not sure I can add any more than Jed.

I have always found that breeders that show their dog/s on a regular basis can in some cases have some very nice pet puppies on offer.

These breeders usually use only health tested stock (where applicable)remember they don't want problems in their lines either.

In this day and age where we have rogue breeders registered with their states controlling body just breeding for profit, it is just getting so much harder for the person wanting a particular breed to know where to go.

You did the right thing, you came on here and asked before you purchased, not after. Good luck.

Also a family member wants to rush and just get the first dog. How do I convince her that this is a long process and worth the wait? I have told her that she may purchase whatever she pleases, but I will be taking no part in training which has halted her a little bit because she needs me to train. How do I convincr her this process is worth it if it takes a year or so?

Not sure if it will help with your family member but my dog has convinced a few people to sit on waiting lists.

I waited a year for my dog and was actually bumped up the list because the right dog showed up. I would happily have waited three times as long for him! Waiting can be hard, but I've ended up with exactly the dog I wanted and because we've suited each other so well he has been a dream of a dog to work with.

The chances of having had such a suitable match would have been incredibly slim if my priority had been wanting a dog NOW.

I met my breeder at a dog show. I went to a few, watched the breed I was interested in and went and talked to those with dogs I liked. One was very helpful, even recommending some other shows or breeders to look at, said she was planning a mating soon and referred me to her website and email address. I also had some stewards give recommendations while I was there.

I had ran into a not so great breeder in the past, so then I came onto these forums and asked in the breed topic whether they would recommend this breeder (via PM).

Just remember though that nature isn't predictable! Bitches were late on heat, puppies didn't make it to term, my supposed 4 months wait ended up being 10 months+, oh and about 2 years of deciding the breed was right and looking for breeders. I had a lot of people tell me I was nuts for waiting that long, but they meet my pup now (6mths old) and understand.

Our breed of dogs (Cavaliers) has a Club here in SA. You can go along (even if you don't have one) to their pet owner fun days to meet in a fun informal way breeders that are associated with it.

Both breeders of our Cavs go to the fun days (they are part of the committee). People get a chance to check out some of their dogs ( and see their temperament etc) and ask questions.. We didn't meet Joey and Renae's breeder that way ( we meet her at a dog show by fate) but it lead us to joining the Cavalier Club of SA which eventually led us to getting to know Miah's breeder. We had been going for quite a few years so had a good chance to get more familiar with the local breeders and their Cavs and what they were like health wise etc

It can be a tricky one finding the right breeder with healthy dogs, even if they are registered and supposingly reputable , especially if you don't know the background of them that well or at all.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Hopefully this thread might be helpful.

If you are still after a poodle, I'd be starting with the puppy register of the Poodle Club of whatever state you are in. You could also ask for recommendations in the poodle thread in the breed sub-forums.

You will find it easier to buy a male pup than a female and frankly I think they make better pets. Any reputable breeder will have DNA tested their dogs for PRA. Don't buy a pup from untested parents and if you want the best chance of stable temperament, avoid the fashionable colours.

I have a 16 year old and a 15 year old poodle here. Tell the impatient one that a few months is nothing to wait for a dog that will a part of her life for a very long time - they can get to 20 years old!

In addition to the above, Look for a breeder willing to tell you the downside and challenges of owning the breed as well as the good side.

Yep, and also a breeder who won't automatically assume any and all pups of theirs will suit you. They should be trying to match a pup to your family and lifestyle.

Tell her...about all the genetic health testing that needs to be done for the dogs, tell her about temperament testing, and matching the sire and dam based upon genetics, temperaments and conformation, so, theoretically, you get puppies that are healthy, with nice temperaments, and who may even look better than the parents. Then tell her when you buy from a pet shop, backyard breeder or unethical breeder there is no health checks, or temperament checks, and the parents may not be of sound mind or body. Tell her that you are buying a puppy, who will be with you for many many years to come, and that it will be a massive burden (to you and the pup) if she ends up being chronically ill from a disease that an ethical breeder could have avoided, or if she ends up with a poor temperament, making every day a battle.

If in doubt about a breeder, ask DOL :) someone will know, or will pick up on cues that ring alarm bells at least; and everyone on here's always happy to help.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone! The purebreed puppy forum is fantastic and I am really happy I came here for advice! Just curious about MyFlair Poodles, Bienaime Poodles and Adeltoy Poodles in Queensland, would anyone recommend them at all?

Sorry, cannot recommend any breeders, but ring the Poodle Club QLD.

Adeltoy, Myflair and Bienaime seem to be members.

I can't say whether or not that means all is OK.

Perhaps the club's Rescue person and see if they can help steer you in the right direction

Rosalie Convery

07 5547 7217

Toys & Miniatures only

[email protected]

or

Contact our Secretary

Mrs Christine Gross

Ph: 3286 3023

Also ask in Poodle breed subforum.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

We had a lovely standard poodle, from a registered breeder, but no papers etc.

I'd not go down that road again.

He died of bloat (which could happen to any standard poodle), but he also had unusual joint problems which cost far more than a full-price, replacement puppy.

(eta: only standard poodle get bloat, not mini or toy, FAIK)

Edited by Poodle wrangler

So the family member has given me an ultimatum: I have to get a pup by Feb or she's just going to buy one and force me to do everything, if I don't she's going to kick me out.

It's sad because I'm trying to do it properly and I have it shoved down my throat. I am going to try and work around it but I don't think I'm going to be able to. I appreciate everyone's support and will definitely keep it in mind for my next puppy.

So the family member has given me an ultimatum: I have to get a pup by Feb or she's just going to buy one and force me to do everything, if I don't she's going to kick me out.

It's sad because I'm trying to do it properly and I have it shoved down my throat. I am going to try and work around it but I don't think I'm going to be able to. I appreciate everyone's support and will definitely keep it in mind for my next puppy.

Well, it sounds as if she's quite young (or maybe that's just due to how I'm perceiving things?) so is there another family member who can perhaps 'bring her into line'?

There's room to work here yet :) so, toy poodles are both of your preferred breed? YouTube 'slipping patellas toy poodle' and 'PRA toy poodle', which, according to dog breeds 101 affects toys. Make her watch it (if possible of course!) and tell her that could happen if she gets a pup from a backyard breeder/unethical breeder/pet store.

If you cannot possibly convince her otherwise, the way I see it you're going to end up being the primary carer/trainer anyway, of whatever dog you get, so maybe look into rescuing. It's certainly better than supporting bybs and pet shops. There are lots of great dogs on rescue sites, from pups to adults. And take a look at toy poodle rescues, or look at the mature dogs section of toys here on DOL. There are even people on places like gumtree selling their beloved family pet due to moving overseas or something. Don't give up! Because there are plenty more options than being forced into buying a pup from pet store or byb. The battle for doing the right thing and either buying from an ethical breeder or rescuing and saving a dogs life is tough, but it's worth it :)

Have you taken her to any shows and encouraged her to talk to breeders? Maybe it's a case of not listening to you (because what would you k ow) but will listen to a stranger who seems competent and has some completely awesome dogs. (I'm suggesting this because I know I'm guilty of this -somehow DH is never as competent as other people! Even if he is.)

You never know, she may fall in love with a particular dog and want one just like if, at which point you can point out that she might be able to get one from the same breeder.......

she doesnt care. I was trying to tell her a breeder will select the perfect pup to fit in the family but she didnt want to hear it and carried on "she just wants a dog"

Our other dog just died so I feel so bleh. Im just angry I cant take my time. Also our previous poodle had slipping patellas and PRA so I cant convince her thats bad cause our poodle was fine. However I am definitely thinking of rescue as well.