Statistics On Breeds Imported

Leema

Just wondering if there was any way to find what breeds are imported into Australia annually?

I am particularly interested in a breed breakdown over the past 10 years or so.

Not just for ANKC breeds, either, but for any dogs (including crossbreed pets).

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. :)

Edited by Leema

AQIS perhaps ... I imagine they would have the figures. The question is whether they would give them out or not. Everyone seems to think that everything is covered by the Privacy Act, even when it isn't.

The monthly canine magazine lists dogs exported but guess it doesn't cover them all & certainly not non pedigree dogs, but doesn't list imports. Hard to find out.

I would also be interested in how many are exported too.

About 10 years ago there was a national export list for pedigree dogs online. It gave breed, breeder & who dog went to & into which country.

Can't seem to find anything similar in recent years.

Edited by Christina

The monthly canine magazine lists dogs exported but guess it doesn't cover them all & certainly not non pedigree dogs, but doesn't list imports. Hard to find out.

I would also be interested in how many are exported too.

About 10 years ago there was a national export list for pedigree dogs online. It gave breed, breeder & who dog went to & into which country.

Can't seem to find anything similar in recent years.

The breed data base I recently bought from the ANKC has listed where dogs have been exported to and the country a imported dog was born in. But of course this is breed specific and only ANKC registered ones. I would think that AQIS would be the only resource that would cover pets etc. Would dogs from NZ go through AQIS? Years ago when I imported from NZ there was no AQIS involvement.

Probably puppy milling gaining so much publicity is making a lot of people leery of having that info widely available?

Puppy millers don't generally import dogs.

But they certainly export! Multiple litters sold to overseas pet shops.

Probably puppy milling gaining so much publicity is making a lot of people leery of having that info widely available?

Puppy millers don't generally import dogs.

But they certainly export! Multiple litters sold to overseas pet shops.

Yes. While I don't support all the proposals by this mob if their info is correct Australia should be ashamed of its lack of compassion & treatment of our dogs overall.

Some statistics on this link. Especially Victoria with its ultra strict rules.

http://www.oscarslaw.org/Export-Puppies

Yes. While I don't support all the proposals by this mob if their info is correct Australia should be ashamed of its lack of compassion & treatment of our dogs overall.

Some statistics on this link. Especially Victoria with its ultra strict rules.

http://www.oscarslaw.org/Export-Puppies

In a 12 month period during 2012-2013, 987 puppies were exported to Singapore from Australia, 646 of those puppies were sent from Melbourne airport and the majority of these puppies were born on Victorian puppy factories.

Have you checked if this information is correct?

Edited by lilli

Ive checked and from an independent source it appears to be true. Most of these puppies are coming from licensed kennels in Victoria which have been approved to operate and house hundreds of breeding dogs by the system there.For me all that demonstrates is that the massive push and interference by such groups to have more and more laws introduced has had the opposite effect to that which they said they wanted. Victoria has THE most ridiculous over regulation of dog breeding and that has produced bigger and bigger establishments which obviously seek more markets to sell their produce.

There is also talk of corruption with some puppies passing vet certification which shouldn't be and at least one transport company has refused to ship them due to "puppies which are supposed to be 12 week old lab puppies which can sit in the palm of your hand " and numerous other concerns which probably should be looked into - but there is big money in this now and much more going on behind the scenes which will develop as issues into the future.

Victoria has THE most ridiculous over regulation of dog breeding and that has produced bigger and bigger establishments which obviously seek more markets to sell their produce.

That was my impression, too, reading the Victorian draft laws about dog breeding establishments. The guidelines actually legitimized bulk breeding practices .... like they were supporting a business model, rather than a welfare model.

I was gobsmacked to see a research paper contained in their References, where the findings contradicted the inadequate socialization guidelines in the laws themselves. Talk about the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

Sounds like dogs might soon go the way of food and supermarkets.. Two or Three large retailers hold almost the entire market and ethics, health and safety will be less than an afterthought...

Yep set up by the state government.

Victoria has THE most ridiculous over regulation of dog breeding and that has produced bigger and bigger establishments which obviously seek more markets to sell their produce.

That was my impression, too, reading the Victorian draft laws about dog breeding establishments. The guidelines actually legitimized bulk breeding practices .... like they were supporting a business model, rather than a welfare model.

I was gobsmacked to see a research paper contained in their References, where the findings contradicted the inadequate socialization guidelines in the laws themselves. Talk about the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

New Victorian code plays right into hands of big business and legitimises farmimg of puppies hand over fist