Dogs On Seats

tarope

I would remove any of my animals from a seat for someone to sit but I would never ask my children to move unless it was for someone elderly etc. Both of my kids have exceptionally good manners but they have been taught that children and adults deserve the same respect. They are both very high achievers, very mature for their age, gentle and respectful with animals and all round good kids. Just because I don't believe kids should be treated below adults doesn't mean I let my kids run wild with no care for other people.

In our house the animals are also treated with the same respect and consideration, they are allowed on beds and furniture providing they get off when asked.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should children have to offer their seat to an able adult? Honest question.

Sure got an elderly or pregnant person, but why an able bodied adult?

I don't see why adults deserve any more respect than children, and that doesn't mean I have no manners. Everyone deserves respect, no matter their age.

This is a bit OT though :laugh:

I have been taught and continue to believe that if there are only 2 seats (as an example) and there are 2 adults & 3 kids, the adults sit. To me it is common courtesy, like saying please & thank you, holding a door open etc. I would expect my 10 year old to move for my 21 year old, I would expect my 21 year old to move for me and I would, in turn move for someone older than me.

Edited by Trisven13

I have been taught and continue to believe that if there are only 2 seats (as an example) and there are 2 adults & 3 kids, the adults sit. To me it is common courtesy, like saying please & thank you, holding a door open etc. I would expect my 10 year old to move for my 21 year old, I would expect my 21 year old to move for me and I would, in turn move for someone older than me.

thumbsup1.gif

Wow you can never tell what wierd shit a topic on something random will bring up...

And I think the idea for children to give up their seat to an adult is that the younger person is probably more healthy and able to stand than an older person. Of course this is not really an issue if a 21 year old and a 15 year old are the two parties concerned, it is obviously more aimed at the whole "respect your elders" and older generations.

Personally I think it is a good custom and more children should be taught it but each to their own. Almost all parents think their kids are stellar even if they are the class bully or that kid that smokes between classes (not talking to anyone in particular here). All you can do is lead by example.

Wow there are a lot of people that seem to think they are better than others.

Move a child so an adult can sit down???

Children are human and deserve the same respect as adults, if someone date asked me to move one of my kids so they could sit down they woulda get a very nasty reaction.

Animals and children are not objects they have feelings and it is disgraceful that people treat them that way.

The old thinking that adults are somehow better or above animals/children is a joke.

Obviously there are many people that live a sheltered life and have nothing better to do than bitch about things that really don't matter.

A vet clinic is built and designed specifically for animals, it is NOT a cafe, restaurant, persons house, doc surgery, etc.

Really, you'd abuse someone who might genuinely need to sit down? Did it ever occur to you that some people might not want to disclose their health problems to a complete stranger.

Reminds me of a time when I anticipated a pedistrian light by a second. There was a mum with kid in pusher and one at her side, abuse the heck out of me. The anger and the foul language. :eek: She even made the comment, "I hope you get run over by a f**k'n truck and killed".

All because she was trying to teach her kids about crossing the road. And apparently I wasn't helping. I would have been receptive if she hadn't launched into such vileness.

Never mind about the foul language, abuse or wishing a complete stranger dead. Why would you teach a kid a better way to communicate? What was i thinking? :laugh:

Children do not have the same rights as adults. Children need to be taught manners and respect by their parents. They won't get too far in life without manners and respect.

It is bad manners for children to be seated when adults are standing no matter how you shake it. It is also disrespectful to their elders but of course the kids don't know this because the parents haven't taught them. Are these the same parents who don't teach their children to say please or thank you? There seems to be plenty of that lack of courtesy around. I feel sorry for these kids who don't know any better.

As an aside, I trust the parents who think children have as much right to a seat happily pay full price for their kids on public transport and in venues such as movie theaters etc., and would not expect or accept concession prices.

If children had the same rights as adults there would be no age restriction on drinking alcohol in licensed premises or obtaining a driving license. No need to rate movies. This of course has nothing to do with the fact that children have the right to be taught good manners and respect for other people.

Kids don't know enough to have the same rights as adults. Children have the right to be taught respect and good manners. They don't know how to behave unless they're taught.

My children who are now adults thank me for teaching them manners. They know how to conduct themselves and are at ease in any given situation without being an embarrassment to themselves or anyone else due to lack of manners and respect.

Obviously there are many people that live a sheltered life and have nothing better to do than bitch about things that really don't matter.

A vet clinic is built and designed specifically for animals, it is NOT a cafe, restaurant, persons house, doc surgery, etc.

Just because something doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it doesn't matter to someone else. I see a trend here.

Children can have invisible disabilities/pain too, and also may not want to disclose this to every stranger.

Not that I've ever been in a vet clinic where seats were in high demand. There has always been far more seats than butts in the waiting room.

Edited by Weasels

Children can have invisible disabilities/pain too, and also may not want to disclose this to every stranger.

Not that I've ever been in a vet clinic where seats were in high demand. There has always been far more seats than butts in the waiting room.

Mums are usually open and forthcoming if their child is sick. Of course no one would want or expect a sick child to give up their seat.

If kids are bright and happy and wriggling around then the likelihood is higher they aren't disabled in some way. I went on a bus recently, that was an eye opener. I had a plaster cast on and the only person who offered me a seat was a young woman who had just come out of hospital after a near miscarriage at 25 weeks. When a woman came on with a small child this young woman gave up her seat to her as it was harder to stand in a bus with an infant. I had just broken some bones in my back at the time so I had to sit but all the able bodies people just ignored everyone who obviously had more need for the seat.

I get dizzy easily and can't stand for long while out so if I come across kids on the seats and they don't get up I'll just go down instead :laugh:

If kids are bright and happy and wriggling around then the likelihood is higher they aren't disabled in some way. I went on a bus recently, that was an eye opener. I had a plaster cast on and the only person who offered me a seat was a young woman who had just come out of hospital after a near miscarriage at 25 weeks. When a woman came on with a small child this young woman gave up her seat to her as it was harder to stand in a bus with an infant. I had just broken some bones in my back at the time so I had to sit but all the able bodies people just ignored everyone who obviously had more need for the seat.

I get dizzy easily and can't stand for long while out so if I come across kids on the seats and they don't get up I'll just go down instead :laugh:

The able bodied who didn't offer you a seat were probably, as children, raised by people who think they are entitled to keep their seat irrespective of others in difficult circumstances.

Since where I live we don't have buses, trains or a vet hospital that is that busy we don't have enough seats then it isn't an issue.

However age does not demand respect, respect does. I have a basic level of respect for all people ( which also includes putting my child on my knee if the need arises and a seat is needed) that respect is easy to lose and very difficult to get back.

Demanding my child stand just because you are older would honestly give me the shits. My basic level of respect would have slipped very quickly. As if you may have the seat, then no worries, it would be done.

I was taught all people deserve a certain level of respect, however I was also taught ( from a young age) that respect is a two way street and I did not have to respect people just because they were my elders. If they were rude arseholes, they were rude arseholes- age didn't come into it. To be perfectly honest if someone was a rude arsehole to me about a seat anywhere my stubborn would kick in and they would be told to go jump - very politely of course :) no need to lower myself to their level.

Now this may come across as me being very rude and inconsiderate, which I am far from. However if there are spare seats at the vets I will put my dog up there if that is where they are happy. Oh and if there are pregnant or obviously unwell people I and my kids would happily stand. If I am asked politely I and my kids would happily stand as we would for the aged.

Edited by OSoSwift

Since where I live we don't have buses, trains or a vet hospital that is that busy we don't have enough seats then it isn't an issue.

However age does not demand respect, respect does. I have a basic level of respect for all people ( which also includes putting my child on my knee if the need arises and a seat is needed) that respect is easy to lose and very difficult to get back.

Demanding my child stand just because you are older would honestly give me the shits. My basic level of respect would have slipped very quickly. As if you may have the seat, then no worries, it would be done.

I was taught all people deserve a certain level of respect, however I was also taught ( from a young age) that respect is a two way street and I did not have to respect people just because they were my elders. If they were rude arseholes, they were rude arseholes- age didn't come into it. To be perfectly honest if someone was a rude arsehole to me about a seat anywhere my stubborn would kick in and they would be told to go jump - very politely of course :) no need to lower myself to their level.

Now this may come across as me being very rude and inconsiderate, which I am far from. However if there are spare seats at the vets I will put my dog up there if that is where they are happy. Oh and if there are pregnant or obviously unwell people I and my kids would happily stand. If I am asked politely I and my kids would happily stand as we would for the aged.

Sounds reasonable to me. No one has the right to 'demand' a child give up their seat.

However a well mannered child wouldn't wait to be asked. Children young enough to sit on mothers knee: in this case the decision is up to mother who would hopefully do exactly as you would do.

Agree a rude arseholes don't deserve respect any more than a rude child does.

Perhaps thats the reason we see so many kids who show the attitude of self entitlement.

I don't take public transport often, but went to Soundwave with my daughter on the train as it was easier than parking, she travels often on the train.

An elderly lady got on the train, clearly a bit fragile, before I could say anything my daughter had jumped up to offer her a seat, none of the males on the train did, and one even tried to sit in it as she was offering it up!

Edited by juice

Wow there are a lot of people that seem to think they are better than others.

Move a child so an adult can sit down???

Children are human and deserve the same respect as adults, if someone date asked me to move one of my kids so they could sit down they woulda get a very nasty reaction.

Animals and children are not objects they have feelings and it is disgraceful that people treat them that way.

The old thinking that adults are somehow better or above animals/children is a joke.

Really, you'd abuse someone who might genuinely need to sit down? Did it ever occur to you that some people might not want to disclose their health problems to a complete stranger.

I was thinking the same thing.

In my case, I look healthy but I'm not. And I can't stand for long periods.

Perhaps thats the reason we see so many kids who show the attitude of self entitlement.

I don't take public transport often, but went to Soundwave with my daughter on the train as it was easier than parking, she travels often on the train.

An elderly lady got on the train, clearly a bit fragile, before I could say anything my daughter had jumped up to offer her a seat, none of the males on the train did, and one even tried to sit in it as she was offering it up!

From my many many years on public transport, that's not uncommon :/

School children who travel on school bus/train passes are required to give up their seat for any fare paying person who standing. It's a requirement of their pass. More often than not they put earphones in and look really involved with their phone, taking the "if I don't look up I can't see anyone standing therefore I can stay seated" approach.