Epilepsy

BC Crazy

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. I hope we can get Stella comfortable too pme asap because she is so stressed atm . She hasn't seizured again today thus far but she is so unsettled. She refuses to lay down & rest. It is like she is too frightened to rest. Pacing around anxiously. She just wants to be very close to me, ALL the time. Panting heavily. She's exhausted .

I adore her & it's so heart breaking to see her so aggitated.:(

Edited by BC Crazy

:( Not good at all.

As Tassie said, it is something you hear more about in US lines. When I was on a few US Border Collie lists there were quite a lot of people who had dogs with it. Majority seemed to be well controlled with medication.

I hope you can get her under control soon. Not fun for either of you :(

Stella is having a really good day so far today I'm very pleased to report :thumbsup: She is her happy self. so pretty & relieving to see.

Even chasing birds out of the backyard again. We went out for a long walk/swim & she is now sleeping, thank dog :)

Hoping to get the results back from the blood work tomorrow or Monday :crossfingers: Nothing to sinister.

Edited by BC Crazy

Thanks CaseyKay for your concern.

I too was so hoping for the 'one off' case but was not that lucky unfortunately :(

Yes I think my poor girl was so tired by last night she was a anxious, exhausted mess. Terrible to see.

I an going to put a crate in the lounge room with us so next time :( instead of her pacing around anxiously

worrying & us trying to console her without success for hours. I will just pop her in her crate & keep my eye on her. It's all trial & error isn't it?

Poor baby girl :(

Edited by BC Crazy

I've not had a dog like this ... but the pacing is a result of her nervous system misfiring ..and I would guess that perhaps being crated would not provide an 'outlet' for all that energy? I'd worry that her body would react in another way if this energy could not find an 'escape'

perhaps this behaviour is actually brain activity akin to a type of seizure itself?

Could you try thundershirt, maybe? Put lavender oil in a burner ....

Hopefully you can see a neurologist or someone soon and get some answers.

Edited by persephone

Didn't know that her pacing was her nervous system misfiring. Interesting....

She has done it a lot more since her first seizure. I wouldn't put her in her crate often. Just when she had seizured, pretty serverely twice in a matter of days.

She has a thunder shirt but I was reluctant to put it on her as she was already panting heavily .Worried she would be too hot you know.

She was totally exhausted but full of worry & concern. Reminded me of an extremely

overtired child actually.

Agree this may well be a spin off of a seizure. Very possible .

Edited by BC Crazy

Thanks JulesP,

Yes I did mention it but he didn't seem to concerned really which does concern me as it could be relative I feel as well. He is a good Vet but I also go to another that is wonderful but she isn't in our area. I will be seeing her late January for a 2nd opinion. She is right into behavioural issues & is very switched on. So when I get the results of Stella's blood work I will make sure to get a copy to take with me when I see her. Can't hurt to get another opinion.

Monte paced. He was always very restless. He alternated between restlessness or being totally zonked out asleep. I used to listen for his nails clicking on the floor at night. He went in and out of the dog door non stop too.

Edited by ~Anne~

Guest hankodie

Poor Stella :( So sorry to hear she's had another seizure BC. Do you know when you'll get the blood results? Keeping you in my thoughts.

Thanks HazyWal... Your so kind. I am devastated in all honesty. My heart is heavy.

She is such a sweet girl & I just adore her. My poor little girl :( You just feel so helpless.

No news yet back from the blood work. I guess with Chrissy hols etc. might take a while longer.

Thank you Hankodie as well.

My wee chihuahua has epilepsy, he got it at approx 3, he is 8 now and in the last year or so his epilepsy has got a lot better from having a seizure once a month he now has one approx one every three or four months, he is on phenomav and bromide, the worst part about epilepsy is you must give the medication every 12 hours, but it is manageable regular blood tests to check levels of meds etc are important, it was scary when he first started having them but try not to worry to much, my boy has a very normal life, has not slowed him down at all.

Edited by varicool

No side effects at all, but when you start the medication as your vet may recommend until they get used to the medication they are drowzy for a few days. Liver levels are checked when on the meds as well when a blood test is done, as the meds for epilepsy can affect the liver, so far my boy is fine.

Thats a bit of good news, no side effects. Hope Stella is the same on meds then. She will love all these blood tests, NOT...

She hates the Vets with a passion. Though I must say she was an angel last the other day when getting the blood work done.

I was the mess :o