Fat And Itchy Dog

denali

Ok, this isn't for my dog. It's my grandmothers dog.

He is a cavalier King Charles spaniel, and he is super fat. Like obese.

And he also itches a lot.

He is currently fed a rotation of kibble brands that are classed as "light".

He was on wellness weight control, and he is currently on an "obese" food. Not sure what brand.

I believe his thyroid has been checked, but maybe that's worth doing again?

I want some advice as to what food to feed.

I want her to try raw food, I think it would benefit him greatly.

But she won't.

So what's the next best?

And do you think the weight and the itching are related in any way?

Like a food intolerance?

Thanks in advance!

If he's overweight then no "lite" kibble will get the weight off him if she feeds him too much of it. Obviously, the problem is the quantity she is feeding him V lack of exercise. Whatever is in the kibble maybe contributing to his itchiness...so the two are probably related, unless he has fleas or it is a contact allergy from something around the house or garden.

Agree with what Sheena is saying, do you know how much is being fed? If the kilojoules going in are not being burnt off, then they are going to start increasing the dogs weight - no matter if it's a light food or not. Light foods are good if they contain L-carnitine for example, which helps to burn fat. They usually also give the dog the "full" sensation with less kilojoules actually going in. I know Eukanuba's light are actually hollow bikkies, to trick the dog's mind.

You could always suggest a pre-made BARF diet? I know Dr B's do a lite formula, and Big Dog have a wellbeing flavor which is great for weight loss.

Can I ask if your grandmother is probably feeding him little treats (or bits of food that she's having)?

I just got a dog from a grandmother of 86 and the dog had pancreatitis from being fed chocolate. Unfortunately a lot of elderly people give the dog titbits from their own plates.

Have you checked her garden for Wandering Jew? This is a common cause of itching.

When was he last bathed and what with?

When was he last given flea treatment and what was used?

Very obese dogs can have skin issues purely becasue their skin is so stretched, also skin on feet can be awful becasue they are carrying sooo much weight. the tidbits may be the issue as well, he may be sensitive to something off the table.

I would get him a thorough check over, thyroid included, get him on a good quality food, try and curb extras and see what happens from there.

He doesn't eat much at all, which is why I always thought thyroid.

But u also think he may be snuck table scraps. Which could be the issue.

I may have to suggest the premade.

What about something like VAN?

Can you give a quantity on that? Some people's "not much at all" is a lot of food to others.

He doesn't eat much at all, which is why I always thought thyroid.

But u also think he may be snuck table scraps. Which could be the issue.

I may have to suggest the premade.

What about something like VAN?

Can you give a quantity on that? Some people's "not much at all" is a lot of food to others.

True. He gets about a 1/4 cup a day. And he eats it at night.

That's bugger all. I'd like to know what snacks he gets too.

I hope you can make your grandmother understand that her dog will live a much shorter life of less quality unless she gets his weight down.

That's bugger all. I'd like to know what snacks he gets too.

I hope you can make your grandmother understand that her dog will live a much shorter life of less quality unless she gets his weight down.

I know!

I have tried explaining that and she just says "It's because he's desexed. The vest says his metabolism decreases by two thirds." Any research that show thats not the case?

I have tried explaining that and she just says "It's because he's desexed. The vest says his metabolism decreases by two thirds." Any research that show thats not the case?

Well it is true to some extent but it's also an excellent reason not to feed them as much food....having a dog desexed is a not an excuse to let them become a coffee table on legs.

Well it is true to some extent but it's also an excellent reason not to feed them as much food....having a dog desexed is a not an excuse to let them become a coffee table on legs.

He sounds more like a sofa. eek1.gif

ETA: I have seen a few people have a :idea: moment when they see what a correct weight version of their dog looks like. Fat becomes "normal" after a while. Know anyone with a CKCS in great condition?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Yes, very much so. I think it is a good excuse for her :)

He sounds more like a sofa. eek1.gif

ETA: I have seen a few people have a :idea: moment when they see what a correct weight version of their dog looks like. Fat becomes "normal" after a while. Know anyone with a CKCS in great condition?

Good idea, Will try this.

I have a CKCS, but he is slightly on the lean side as he is an agility dog, and like 98% of the population on the streets- she thinks i starve him haha

i know someone with a more pet average sized one. So she may agree that he's nicer.

All dry foods are coated in fat to make them palatable, even the low calorie ones. Stop feeding so much dry change to two smaller meals a day and use fresh or even good quality tinned instead.

Add sardines in oil, raw egg and natural yoghurt to the dogs meals a few times a week.

Thank you, i'll suggest this.

ETA: That makes sense, about the palatability and fat.

Edited by denali

The way I see it, if the dog is overweight to obese on a 1/4 cup dry daily, then the quantity is still too much. Is it a heaped 1/4 cup? You might also find that his itchiness is caused by the chopping and changing of food every other day -- stick with one brand and leave it at that.

Weight can be a difficult thing to get a hold of because each dog is different. What is the ideal weight of a CKCS? I've just looked at the ANKC breed standard that states between 5.4 to 8.4 kilos. My own little terrier who weighs 6.4 kilos is perfect weight and she gets fed 1 tablespoon of dry food twice a day; my 14 kilo dog gets 1/4 cup twice daily.

I'm thinking this little dog is probably being snuck breakfast, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea as well as his dinner.

Vets All Natural have a Roo <4% Fat BARF.

The amount of food has to decrease. My 16 kilo Lab x has 60 grams of raw a day and I still need to decrease it and he gets exercise twice a day - you just have to keep adjusting as needed.

Edited by sas

I have noticed most vets don't seem to say much about dogs weights to their owners, I suppose they benefit too much from the health problems that go with it.

Obesity in dogs is almost epidemic IMO I groom so many that are disgustingly over weight, cavi's the most common.

Dry foods are being way overused, to digest dry foods dogs need to drink more water than they normally need, over time causes stress on the kidneys. Dry flaky skin is common because the good oils even though added are mostly destroyed in the cooking process.

Obesity is a problem because of the fat content in all dry foods and most dogs I see with serious dental disease are fed dry food only diets.