Endurance Test 2014

Seeing as last year's FNQ test was cancelled, I have my fingers crossed it'll be on this year! Rusty and I are both still able to run 9km at a time, and have picked up the pace since last year. Although had a big break over these warmer months, hopefully when it cools down in April we'll get back to it!

I'd really like to run it, but my only concern is the 20 minute breaks, I find it very hard to start up again after stopping. Also can you run with headphones? I imagine not, but I get very bored without them :o Has anyone here run it before? Would I be better just biking?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad i found this thread!

i would love to do this!

However i do not trust my dog on a bike, so may have to get good at running 20km..

I have wanted to do this for a while now, i think its time to actually start training.

How many people do jog it?

I don't want to be a lone jogger left behind at the back :laugh:

Waiting on the QLD dates too :)

Hi denali,

welcome to the ET thread. Not too many people run the ET. You must be supremely fit to do it. Most cycle it, and with some easy and regular training you will pass with flying colours.

Get your dog used to the bike by initially walking the dog and bike together. The bike between you and the dog. Once the dog is used to the presence of the bike, then try and ride it. Very short rides and first and slow. From that point, then build up to approximately 10-12 kph. That is the speed you will travel at during the actual ET.

Use this thread to ask more advice or send me a private message or email. Happy to help.

M

• 3 weeks later...

What does this include and can desexed non papered dogs get to join in?

Edited to add no I am not thinking of entering george :laugh:

Hi HappyCamper,

Go to this link for a full explanation of the endurance test.

http://oz.dogs.net.au/abbiestar/endurance-test.asp

Non papered dogs cannot take part. They must be registered with Dogs Victoria or interstate equivalent. Dogs can still be registered with Dogs Vic even if they are not purebred.

M

Hi all

I have a 2 year old kelpie that might like to do her ET test one day.

But I'd like to know if anyone uses a dog attachment thing to bike their dog. Maybe not in a trial but for everyday exercise. My dog runs well but she is timid and at times if she sees a dog she gets a bit worried and recently we had such a fright she went under the front tyre and we crashed. All ok as not speeding but not wanting to repeat this. Mind you its our first stack ever and she been biking all over the place.

I've loved being able to bike her in the morning before work as its fast and I live on a bike track that goes around the lake and parks. I was wondering if anyone can advise me about the springer attachment? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

ACT isnt having an ET this year

I hadn't seen a date listed, but was unaware tin would not take place. Has this been confirmed?

M

A friend was going to be running one of my dogs it was up on the site date to be confirmed and then that was removed so she rang them up and they have told her ACT not running this year

A friend was going to be running one of my dogs it was up on the site date to be confirmed and then that was removed so she rang them up and they have told her ACT not running this year

Shame. They run a great ET at the show grounds.

M

ACT isnt having an ET this year

I hadn't seen a date listed, but was unaware tin would not take place. Has this been confirmed?

M

Yes I had heard its only going to be run every 2 years.

I'm still deciding on whether we will be ready for June 21 at Altona. I don't know the Cherry Lake area - but have been looking on google maps. Is the 20km covered by doing multiple laps around the lake?

I'm still deciding on whether we will be ready for June 21 at Altona. I don't know the Cherry Lake area - but have been looking on google maps. Is the 20km covered by doing multiple laps around the lake?

Hi Betsy,

the 20 k course at Cherry Lake is completely flat except for two very small hills. It is predominantly on paved surfaces and covers the car park area, the paved road around the football and soccer fields, the paved path along the side of the lake closest to the playing fields, the gravel paths after the last car parking area and the lawn section in front of the club rooms.

This is a 3k course which is lapped. A small deviation on that track is used to make up the required 20 kilometres.

Keep the training up and you will be fine.

M

Is there anyone training for Endurance in the Doncaster/Templestowe/Bulleen area? We need some experience in biking with other dogs. This will be a first attempt (still building up stamina) and while we do meet others on the tracks, I don't know how we will manage with both bikes & dogs in front & behind. I am posting this on behalf my husband, as I am in no way fit or able to compete!

We would be grateful for any assistance. Thanks. :crossfingers:

Willing to travel - anywhere within an hour, in north-eastern suburbs, KCC Park .....

Edited by ceilteach

Is 8 weeks long enough to get a dog ready for an ET? My husband told me our bike rack was broken and I have been at him to fix it so I could start training. He finally looked at it last weekend and now says it's ok. I would aim for the Rottie Club test on 28th June, or could possibly do Sale on the 5th July. The dog is a rescue so not exactly sure of his age but probably about 5 - I've had him for two and a half years. He's a working Border Collie (or looks that type), weighs about 16-17 kilos. He is reasonably fit - was going to the beach and swimming once or twice a week through summer (but hasn't done that for about the last 5 weeks), plays a bit with my other dog, we do some obedience training and tricks and a little bit of agility training. Now that the paddocks have been slashed, I've been taking him out on a slight hill for a walk/run morning and evening for the last week or two. Yesterday I rode the bike with him and we did a couple of ks at about 8-10kph. This morning we did just over 3 ks - probably did a bit more at the slower pace than yesterday. He coped fine with all that - wasn't even puffing. We went to the local rec reserve and rode on the dirt road around the outside of the football oval, there is also grass beside about half of it and short stretches of loose gravel and asphalt. Thought I might try for 4 ks tomorrow and see how he goes with that.