Scared Of Water

Guest hanko

Kirah also had a dislike of water -- she got completely wiped out once at the beach as a pup and wouldn't go near water from then on.

The dog park we frequent has a creek running through it that the dogs love and one day, Kirah came up the bank coughing, spluttering and looking like a drowned rat. I think she'd tried to follow Zeus into the water, dived in thinking it was shallow, the had an 'oh f***' moment when it was deeper than expected. :o. Since that moment, Kirah loves swimming in still water, however, the waves at the beach still intimidate her so she stands well away from them on the sand.

I don't mind her not liking the waves; they are pretty intimidating for such a little dog. Besides which, I don't like the beach myself so it's no big deal!!

I know you said you've tried treating Hank, but perhaps the value of the treats isn't high enough. Try things like cheese, chicken or even bits of steak to really get him chasing the food. Then, I'd just sit in the water, perhaps with a book, and just wait him out. It will take time, but with perseverance I think you'll get there.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heh, heh - Zig can be a bit precious, bless him, but the "ladies" love him nonetheless. With a dog that is fearful I prefer to shape a behaviour rather than lure - mark and reward anything to do with water rather than trying to bribe him - it's a completely different mindset.

Zig is a high profile model though TSD, he doesn't want to get his head wet :laugh:

I think you should post the photo of Zig with a well known comedian :D

Links so as not to go OT here and here :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Well I guess how you proceed from here depends on whether you want him to swim or whether you don't mind if he won't. Instead of quitting, I would outwait him (with the lead on as described earlier) and stop the exercise as soon as his paws touch the water at all. Reward any effort he makes at sniffing it, putting his paw in it, whatever. Obviously he is not in any physical discomfort when you ask him to go in the water so if this were my dog I would basically say "this is how it's gona be and that's it" and work on it through obedience (with lots of reward!).

Most of them will learn to enjoy it. Foxy didn't (unless it's stinking hot, this is the only time she will just go in for the sake of it) but she goes in when I ask and that's all I need (since I need her to retrieve out of the water)

Heh, heh - Zig can be a bit precious, bless him, but the "ladies" love him nonetheless. With a dog that is fearful I prefer to shape a behaviour rather than lure - mark and reward anything to do with water rather than trying to bribe him - it's a completely different mindset.

(...)

Snap, but yes, exactly. Trying to lure a fearful dog into the water with food is pretty much pointless. But if they think it was their idea to begin with it suddenly becomes great!

Guest hankodie

Is it only bodies of water? Does he like to play with running water from the hose?

Nova wouldn't get in water after he accidentally dove into a deep part of the river (aiming for the shallows) and needed to swim back as a baby pup.

But he liked the running water and also splashes, so I tempted him into his clam pool with the hose on gentle, so he could play with it, and I got him back into the river by making little splashes with my hand, as he likes to try and eat the splashes. He still won't go out past his belly now though. I am working on that by going swimming with him and some toys, very very very slowly getting deeper now that his toy drive is so big.

Awww bless, Nova is a brave boy :D Hank is a bit unsure of the hose, he kind of leaps away when I turn it on but returns after a while out of curiosity. Might try putting it on very gently and see if he'll play with the water. He can't be all that scared if he's happily jumped into rain puddles before, maybe he just needs to realise that it's the same thing :laugh:

Guest hankodie

(...)

Snap, but yes, exactly. Trying to lure a fearful dog into the water with food is pretty much pointless. But if they think it was their idea to begin with it suddenly becomes great!

Thanks TSD and blackjaq, great advice. I don't mind if he never becomes a huge swimmer but I'd like him to be able to hang around us when we're near water and I also want him to be able to wade in and cool off.

He always runs around the clamshell pool when Odie gets in it so maybe I can do some tricks with her in there and reward him for coming closer and showing interest?

Sarah wasn't a fan of water, not even getting her paws wet, understandably given no access to creeks, rivers and beaches for her entire 7 years.

We like going to the beach and camping near creeks, as well as kayaking so I was hoping it would be something she could get over.

The week before Christmas we went camping near Beechworth and spent a lot of time by the Reedy creek while my OH was panning for gold. Collie just goes exploring and doesn't mind getting wet in the process so Sarah was going to have to cave eventually. After a few days of whining and trying to find the dry path across the creek so she could join in the fun she eventually got accidentally wet so many times that by the last day she didn't hesitate walking across the shallow rocks to get to the other side. Still away to go, she still doesn't like swimming despite me putting her in the water while kayaking a few times :p

baby steps but I think we'll get there :)

post-49536-0-40599300-1388638432_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leah82

Neither of mine like water very much. They just never have :confused:

We have a clam shell but they just use it as a big water bowl.

Only time Mo ever actually got in was because my friends two year old daughter was in it *rolly eyes*

I haven't really persisted as I don't really care if they like it or not. They aren't scared or anything, just not interested.

Yep, find a friend with a water crazy dog, competitive drive works a treat and can be used in many aspects of training, familiarising and building confidence :D

This can backfire. If the water crazy dog likes to jump on other dogs in the water it will scare the bejezus out of him. One of my pups has turned her mother, who used to love swimming, into a very hesitant swimmer.

I wish my pups were more afraid of water. Most of them dig in the water bowl, making a big mess.

Edited by sandgrubber

Guest hankodie

Had to give him his 2nd hydrobath ever today, he really hated it but unfortunately he had to have a bath as he had rolled in something stinky (yet again). Poor thing was so scared and even slipped his collar trying to get away.

The only way I see him going into water voluntarily is if he finds another dog to play with or if I make him think it's his idea as someone mentioned but unfortunately I don't know anyone with a water loving dog :confused:

Aussie3 I don't mind if he never takes to the water completely, I just don't want him being so scared or timid around water.

He did drink from the clam shell pool this morning when Odie was in it so that was an improvement :thumbsup:

Had to give him his 2nd hydrobath ever today, he really hated it but unfortunately he had to have a bath as he had rolled in something stinky (yet again). Poor thing was so scared and even slipped his collar trying to get away.

The only way I see him going into water voluntarily is if he finds another dog to play with or if I make him think it's his idea as someone mentioned but unfortunately I don't know anyone with a water loving dog :confused:

Aussie3 I don't mind if he never takes to the water completely, I just don't want him being so scared or timid around water.

He did drink from the clam shell pool this morning when Odie was in it so that was an improvement :thumbsup:

Oh I'd happily bring my pugs up to play one day, but Max (my super water beach baby pug) would probably take off with Odie and leave Hank there with my other dog who just potters around quietly, and that would defeat the purpose :laugh:

Guest hankodie

Oh I'd happily bring my pugs up to play one day, but Max (my super water beach baby pug) would probably take off with Odie and leave Hank there with my other dog who just potters around quietly, and that would defeat the purpose :laugh:

haha thanks MM that's very kind :D Odie loses it when she meets a pug, they total get her "specialness" :laugh: and Hank loves anything with a squishy face, I think because he's so used to being around Odie.

Unfortunately Odie also panics when she goes into the water at the beach so I don't let her go too far (frenchies can't swim all that well anyway so I supervise very closely). I'm thinking of getting her a swimming vest to see if that'll help :laugh:

haha thanks MM that's very kind :D Odie loses it when she meets a pug, they total get her "specialness" :laugh: and Hank loves anything with a squishy face, I think because he's so used to being around Odie.

Unfortunately Odie also panics when she goes into the water at the beach so I don't let her go too far (frenchies can't swim all that well anyway so I supervise very closely). I'm thinking of getting her a swimming vest to see if that'll help :laugh:

Oh mine can't swim, they sink like bricks :laugh:

But they only go in up to where the water touches the underside of their belly, they've never tried to go any further. They run in and out and splash like maniacs though and come out drenched. Boston, however, likes to faceplant in the sand and drink the salt-water and puke it back up :banghead:

Max has a life jacket but it annoys her as she can't really run around in it.

Liking a hydrobath and enjoying a wade/swim are 2 totally different things.

Cinna LOVES water - she digs in her clam shell, dunks her head right into the water, prefers to run through the water at the beach rather than on the sand etc yet is terrified of the hydrobath. We have out own hydrobath and I resorted to feeding her dinner in there. All of my dogs have had a general dislike for bathing but have not been terrified like her. She is better now, will still try and avoid but if I can get her near the bath she will get in and stand there. I always give her a high value rewards she gets in (chicken wing at a minimum) but she still startles when I turn the water on and will stop eating at that point.

Ours were all bathed regularly from the get go, you point at the shower and tell them and in they go... It definitely pays to teach them this stuff early, just like you do with nail clipping and other stuff that can be iffy.. I know that doesn't really help you now but maybe it might be good to keep in mind for the next puppy ;)

Just watched Better Homes and Gardens while eating dinner and Dr Harry was helping a GR that was terrified of water, especially at the beach and from the hose. It turns out it is the noise that the dog was afraid of. Would play in still water, with encouragement, and would approach the hose with the nozzle off and only a gentle stream of water coming out.

So this may be Hank's problem.

Just a thought :idea:

Guest hankodie

It definitely pays to teach them this stuff early, just like you do with nail clipping and other stuff that can be iffy.. I know that doesn't really help you now but maybe it might be good to keep in mind for the next puppy ;)

Oh he's been bathed since he was 8 weeks old but our downstairs tub broke so I've had to take him to the hydrobath, I think the noise along with the water freaks him out. I've exposed him to as many things as I could but unfortunately it's hard to check off everything on the list in the small window of time a puppy has to adjust to everything!

Just watched Better Homes and Gardens while eating dinner and Dr Harry was helping a GR that was terrified of water, especially at the beach and from the hose. It turns out it is the noise that the dog was afraid of. Would play in still water, with encouragement, and would approach the hose with the nozzle off and only a gentle stream of water coming out.

So this may be Hank's problem.

Just a thought :idea:

I really think this could be it, he seems a lot more comfortable/brave around still water. I've been keeping the clamshell pool out all the time and he's been slowly sniffing it and drinking from it :D Might try the hose thing today as it's quite hot.

Here's a video of Odie in the clamshell pool and Hank trying to get her to come out of it :p

Cute video, I think perhaps the clam shell you have right now is too small for Hank to stand in and comfortably lie in.

Mine always start at the dam or river before we tackle waves at the beach.

He's still quite young though so I wouldn't be concerned. If you really have trouble you could seek out an indoor dog pool and use a float vest. Whilst I guess you'd consider it flooding, in that you have to just walk or lower them into the water, sometimes they will never get in of their own accord and need to know that they can, in fact, swim and hold themselves up - once they get the picture there's generally no problems! :)

Guest hankodie

Thanks SnT :) We visit a bay area where the water is quite still so I've been walking him around the edge there. Question - what do I do if he puts the brakes on and won't follow me if I'm in the water? I don't want to drag him in there, though he's not too stressed out he is a little too frightened to take treats. I would ideally just wade in some shallow still water and wait him out but I don't want to make the experience worse for him or stress him out too much.