Wait For Papers...

twisties

it took us almost 15 months to get the papers for Bruce.

We purchased him on the cusp of the legislation change that said you couldnt register a litter without microchip numbers however the breeder sold them without microchips as it was the changeover period.

then dogs vic wouldnt let her register the litter without microchip numbers :(

she had to have the whole litters numbers and apparently one owner failed to respond to requests for numbers.

It took around 5 phone calls and 10 or so emails before the breeder registered the litter minus the one pup. it was pretty drawn out and annoying.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breeders actually have 18 months according to the CC rules to register a litter. So whilst some of you may find it disgusting and whatever else the breeder has actually done nothing wrong.

But feel free to breeder bash and rip them a new bum hole anyway

Agreed - some breeders wait until all puppies are sold or until they make a decision on which registry one or more puppies will be placed on.

Hell sometimes they have other issues to deal with that take priority - like a death in the family a flood a bushfire , marriage breakup etc.

Sometimes I get the papers back from Dogs NSW and send them off and they come back to me because the puppy buyer has moved or I have the wrong address recorded .

Give the breeder the benefit of the doubt just because some or even most do it one way doesn't mean there is something terrible if someone else does it differently. Some states have different requirements for this as well.

My contract says that papers can take up to one year though most are done within about 6 weeks in case I hit a hiccup so there is no one worrying Im doing something I shouldn't .

so what happens if you have bought a puppy on main register as show potential but you can't show the pup becasue you don't have the papers?

I understand shit happens but if people are going to hold off doing the papers then the people buying the puppies should be told there is going to be a delay, or may be a delay. If they emailed a breeder and the breeder replied there had been a fire, flood, death etc etc then I am quite sure most people who happily deal with that (well okay some wouldn't but you know :) )

So whilst I understand life sometimes throws curve balls, I would imagine MOST breeders would get their paperwork in order in a timely manner. Timely to me is not 12 months(or more) with little to no correspondence.

Oh and I would imagine that it is quite possible to register the litter into the breeders name, then when transfering them change registers if required in all of Associations across Australia? So why wouldn't breeders register the whole litter so they can get paperwork out to those that have their puppy's and then any they have held back to grow out etc they can change those as required?

Edited by OSoSwift

so what happens if you have bought a puppy on main register as show potential but you can't show the pup becasue you don't have the papers?

I understand shit happens but if people are going to hold off doing the papers then the people buying the puppies should be told there is going to be a delay, or may be a delay. If they emailed a breeder and the breeder replied there had been a fire, flood, death etc etc then I am quite sure most people who happily deal with that (well okay some wouldn't but you know :) )

So whilst I understand life sometimes throws curve balls, I would imagine MOST breeders would get their paperwork in order in a timely manner. Timely to me is not 12 months(or more) with little to no correspondence.

Oh and I would imagine that it is quite possible to register the litter into the breeders name, then when transfering them change registers if required in all of Associations across Australia? So why wouldn't breeders register the whole litter so they can get paperwork out to those that have their puppy's and then any they have held back to grow out etc they can change those as required?

If I have one that is going to be shown the papers are done in double quick time no matter what ,new owners don't get to name them and any changes have to be paid for but none of the people Ive ever heard concerned about papers has ever been waiting to show them.

You have to register a whole litter at one time and each state is different .NSW for example wont allow the pup to be registered in any name but the breeder's and its up to the new owner to transfer the name of the pup over if they want to. The breeder receives the papers and has to post them onto the new owner Queeensland the puppies are registered straight into the new owners name and the registry posts them to the new owner .Some states have a 6 months time frame - which I believe NSW has just been changed to and others have 18 months. You cant register them until they are chipped either. So I used to be able to have the papers back before the pups went home and hand them over with the pups - cant do that now because the chip dont go in until a week before they leave here.

Sometimes I allow people to name their puppies so I wait until all are sold and all owners have decided on names other times I name them all myself . If I register one on one register and want to change it over when Ive decided whether its good enough to breed it's a paper shuffle and costs money so it makes sense to wait until you are sure of what register and that's pretty hard to do when the pup is young.

I agree that the new owner should be made aware of how long the papers may take before they take the pup home - mine sign to say they do.

Id prefer to see all papers sorted by 3 months of age but sometimes some breeders take their time for a variety of reasons doesnt automatically make em a bad breeder.

It is actually cheaper to register before three months than after, might be incentive for some.............

Right now - I had a litter of puppies chipped 10 days ago .When I was sending them home and went to scan them two didnt have chips scanning. The person collecting the pup was already almost here after driving 6 hours to pick it up .So I sent the pup home with two chip papers and told her that I would take my pup to the vet next morning , find out what chip number it was so she would know what her's was - assuming it was a problem with my scanner . Both of us took the pups to the vet neither had a chip - vet cant explain why and I saw them go in and they scanned immediately after they went in .So the original two chip numbers have had to be cancelled via me filling in a stat dec to say what happened with the council. Now I have requested the new owner send me the new chip number via an email a day and Ive left a message on her phone so I can put it on the rego papers - no answer. I'm not worried and know she will get to me in the next day or two [i hope ] but in the mean time Im on hold with putting in the rego papers with the CC. If she happens to not bother - its a problem for everyone because it holds up the entire process. Then Im a bad breeder while Im sorting out plan B.

It is actually cheaper to register before three months than after, might be incentive for some.............

Yep it goes up by miles after 12 months.

Beat me to it Minimax !! It is not acceptable to ignore the purchaser when the terms of the purchase have not been fulfilled. So I stand by my comment that not all breeders are good breeders. Yes, stuff happens but having sold the puppy you need to uphold your end of the purchase agreement and keep the buyer in the loop if some holdup occurs.

Personally, if I was told that getting papers would take up to a year I think I would purchase elsewhere JMO

And you all think it's acceptable to ignore the puppy buyer each time they ask?

Of course not

So why try and justify this situation as being acceptable?

Well I wasnt trying to justify this situation - how can anyone say anything about THIS breeder in THIS situation when you only hear one side. You can assume what the OP thinks is happening is happening but experience tells me there may be another explanation.

I was trying to say that some of the judgements made generically of any breeder who may be slow with papers are not always justified. That's all.

I definitely agree its not O.K. to ignore the puppy buyer - ever- my comments were directed at some of the other comments made re slow paper shuffle.

you didn't make it very clear, sounded very much like you were defending the breeder. Yeah stuff happens and yes you did used to have 18 months to register the litter but as a breeder you are obligated to provide those papers in a timely manner and if it isn't then to let the buyer know, preferably before they take the pup home. And you don't ignore phone calls and emails from your puppy buyer. I hope they got a good rap over the knuckles