How To Train A Dog To Let Go Of A Toy!

lovemesideways

I make youtube videos (trying for once a week, but sadly moving house ruined that for me for a while :o) and my newest video is now live.

Enjoy! :D (you get to see some clips on my foster puppies, who're now both in new homes and going great!)

Edited by lovemesideways

Brilliant Jen, seems very similar to Steve but great video thanks.

Yes definitely has a lot of k9 pro influence!! Hes the master of tug and out. That's why I mention him in the video and link his articles. I did know the basics on out before I started working with steve, but hes been a HUGE influence :) :o

Does work :D Only difference is the voice command - tell Scout to 'ta' as out means out of the room. But other than that, another excellent vid thank ye :thumbsup:

I used 'Out' with Kaos but I'm using 'Ta' with Nitro :laugh:

I've always used "give" to signify that the toy or whatever is in the mouth is mine.

I think I trained my dogs too well though, none of them will actually play tug with me, they all spit it out as soon as my hand touches whatever they have in their mouths.

T.

Does work :D Only difference is the voice command - tell Scout to 'ta' as out means out of the room. But other than that, another excellent vid thank ye :thumbsup:

I used 'Out' with Kaos but I'm using 'Ta' with Nitro :laugh:

I like Ta! I don't know how that would work for me though..

Just imagining, with Roscoe on a bite thats 100 metres away and me yelling "TAAAAAA!!!!" :laugh:

Hmmm... maybe I'm speshul, but for a distance "give" I use "leave it"...

T.

I tend to use leave it as well when at a distance...especially if he sees skinks or picks up bugs in his mouth - he gets a firm 'leave it' and 'inside'. I get the stink eye look but he does as he's told :laugh:

Just thinking my poor dog he has so many different verbal commands which he understands. He also has a habit of eating things he shouldn't like little bits of wood or the like and he's the master of hiding them in his flobbagob. Even after checking his mouth he manages to hide whatever he has well. I have to cup my hand under his chin and say 'spit it out' he'll spit out whatever is in his mouth :laugh: