Snakes And Dogs In Extreme Heat

jerojath

While most people assume snakes are out and about in the middle of the day due to it being the warmest, please consider that even Snakes (nor most reptiles) don't like the extreme heat much of the country is experiencing at the moment.

In my experience, during such hot periods, Snakes are active earlier in the day than they might ordinarily be, and are out and about later in the day and even into the night when it cools down.

They will retire during the day to avoid the worst of the heat.

While we have nothing to fear, we do need to consider the safety of our dogs..... most dogs will harass a snake, sometimes leading to a bite.

So, while most people will tend to keep their dogs locked up during these hot 'Snakey' days, just take note that Snakes will be active outside of their usual business hours!

I have been alerted to 3 Dogs being bitten by Snakes in the last 24 hours, in my Town alone. There may have been more, of course.

Please be vigilant, aware, extra cautious.

Obviously, if you see a snake, leave it alone and if need be, call a trained Snake Relocator, and it goes without saying that you should never try to harm a Snake..... it will most likely end with you being bitten.

Keep safe everyone! :thumbsup:

During the Qld heatwave last week I had my cats bring three snakes into the house during the night. Two were venemous. They were a small eyed snake, a white crowned snake and a poor baby green tree snake. I'm pretty sure they were all coming into the cattery seeking water. Sadly by the time I found each of them they were beyond saving. The first two were alive but had severe injuries.

Poor snakes can die in extreme heat, so generally come where it's cooler [around houses]. Haven't seen any this season. But previous seasons had browns curled up in the shade under the verandah. Just let them be as they needed the cool as well [just kept the dog inside - or took him out on a leash out the front for a wee].

Hm, I wanted to take my dog to the off leash park later at night (it's been over 40 degrees here in Melbourne during the day), now reading this thread I am a bit worried, will snakes still be around and active late at night when it's still warm? I'm thinking around 11pm at night.

Hm, I wanted to take my dog to the off leash park later at night (it's been over 40 degrees here in Melbourne during the day), now reading this thread I am a bit worried, will snakes still be around and active late at night when it's still warm? I'm thinking around 11pm at night.

Yes, we have tigers here & they are often out on the hunt at night when it is warmer.

It's likely they will.

Snake catchers are getting calls in the middle of the night at the moment.

Sure can relate to this.

I was mowing the lawns earlier (acreage - ride on mower) and scared a brown snake who was lingering around the shed (I hadn't seen him, or would have given him a much wider berth!). He zoomed inside the shed, so my guess it that he may have been living in the shed where it would be quite cool with a concrete floor.

He is now somewhere in my husband's incredibly messy shed, so I'm keeping the dogs indoors today except for toilet breaks. Hopefully snakey will leave when it's cooler - don't fancy having to try and find him/get him out of the shed that looks like several bombs went off in it.

Edited by ash1

Interesting. My dogs were bitten in the middle of the day during a scorching heatwave.

That's sad. No doubt desperately searching for water.

yes I asked on a few herper boards at the time and everyone who responded said it was pretty unusual.

Where abouts in town did the dogs get bit JJ? We haven't been out and about much lately between the heat and the grass seeds and burs we have been lying low only going to areas very short.

Where abouts in town did the dogs get bit JJ? We haven't been out and about much lately between the heat and the grass seeds and burs we have been lying low only going to areas very short.

One in Dennington in the new development, one just down the road from my place near the river, and one in Merrivale.

All occurred in backyards.

Haven't heard of any more yet but I guess they can be expected....

You should be fine walking anywhere here tlc, you just have to keep them leashed.

During the day they should be fine to run free at your regular park, as the Snakes would be seeking shelter as opposed to being out exposed. Just keep them out in the open for a run.

Hopefully the grass is still fairly short there too.

Edited by jerojath