New Puppy

Pinchy

Thank you so much for all of the help and suggestions.

I have decided I will take him with me. I would like him to be able to come and be comfortable there with me anyway so I think it could be good.

I'm off to bunnings tomorrow to organise a compost panel pen set up as that is what I'd be most comfortable with.

I'm getting a crate to pop in there as well, but with the door open in the pen and then the crate will be a positive nice den place for him when we need it. I'll get used to the idea and I can really see the plusses in the crate.

Great tip about using the door instead of popping him over the top! I hadn't thought of that at all.

I have a couple of photo's but I think I need to be on a computer to upload them so I'll do that when I can:)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again for the tips:) I have a million cable ties for the joins and probably clips for the 'door' :)

I have a few sandbags hanging around at the shop that I use for my shade gazebo so they might be handy for anchorage!

Join the pen to the crate rather then put the crate inside, creates more room.

This photo shows the bunnings panel attached to the crate, the white board was part of the whelping box and was my access to the pen to clean it up. You can also see a couple of panels leaning against the end of the crate. They replaced the white board and were pegged to the crate and made the door way.

post-3047-0-35596400-1389954455_thumb.jpg

All I can add, is if it is a border collie then pictures up here are a must :thumbsup: My two border collies just love their crates..it is their place to feel secure. If we have visitors or there is a thunderstorm, its in the crate with no hesitations :)

So I bought a crate ( a soft one cause I'm a wuss) he will probably eat it but it looks comfy:)

Got two lots of compost mesh, one for home and one for work. Made a nice big area for him to chill in and not get in trouble:)

Picking him up in the morning. Kind of beside myself right now!!

I will figure out photos...promise!!

He will probably eat his way out of the soft crate so be very careful he doesn't escape. Soft crates are also very hot in the summer so I would be getting him a proper wire crate that is chew proof and cool as he is going to be spending a fair bit of time in there and the pen. Also most BC puppies can climb straight over the Bunnings compost panels by 8 weeks. A 1.2m high proper puppy pen with much wider spaced horizontal bars that cannot be climbed is a much safer option. I have seen one climb over a 1m high wire fence at 5 weeks old and by 6 weeks the Bunnings panels are not even a challenge to them, straight over the top. Borders can climb like cats and if you tie panels with cable ties, they just chew through them. They are always a challenge to contain as babies. Good luck with your puppy but don't underestimate a BC puppy's ability to escape any type of confinement.

LMAO Esky, I know it's going to be trashed but I had to start with a soft one ????

We are leaving in about 20 mins, I have butterflies and my coffee tastes yuk!! I told my husband not to laugh at me when I cry!! I'm a happy crier!

Thanks for the tips Dancingbcs, I'll have to keep a superglued eye to him to see how he goes in what I have. I can upgrade if I need to, there's no way I want him to be able to duck out when he pleases!!

So exciting for you, and don't worry, your hubby will probably shed a tear too, though if he is like mine, he will insist it is just because he loves to see you happy. Border Collies are great, mine has always been so good, but she was a second "child". But our first puppy did make us wonder what we had gotten into, and if it wasn't for our Dog Trainerr, there would have been way more tears than there were (best little dog ever in the end though!)

Prepare for the most fun, turbulent, frustrating, annoying, happiest time in your plives. It is all that, and more!

Can't wait for piccies, and don't forget we are here to share the good, and not so good times. Puppy ownership is a HUGE adjustment, but you will love it,

Di

Thanks for the tips Dancingbcs, I'll have to keep a superglued eye to him to see how he goes in what I have. I can upgrade if I need to, there's no way I want him to be able to duck out when he pleases!!

Also be warned that they usually don't show any signs of trying to escape first, so can lull you into thinking they won't do it. Then suddenly they can be out in a matter of a minute or two. Tying anything with occy straps or bungy cords is also useless. I use the steel trojan snap hooks like are on the end of a dog lead to connect panels as they are about the only thing that is chew proof. The Bunnings ones are really expensive but sometimes you can get multi packs from discount stores and they are fine to use. Basically if it isn't made of steel a BC puppy will work out how to chew through it.

Enjoy your new baby and make sure the breeder has given you proof that the parents are either tested or clear by parentage for CL, TNS and CEA as well as having shown and preferably given you copies of the parents hip and elbow scores.

He is so adorable!!! He was fine in the car, about an hour with us and three with the breeder so a fairly big trip for the little dude but he took it all in.

He has spent most of the day sleeping here with me looking at him and pretending to work. The kids were here for a bit after we picked him up and they are in love!!

I took him out a while ago when he woke up and he peed on the concrete near the door so that was pretty good (except he just stood in it LMAO)!

He's nibbling and drinking and snoozing so all in all a nice first day.

Now I'm just thinking how secure his pen is! I might swap the cable ties for the metal clips and have a look at a taller and better 'fence'. I can't have him escape here, it's different to being at home.

He is clear by parentage but I don't have copies of the tests. Is that something I need?