Question About Film Make Up For A Dog!

kelpiecuddles

It's not set yet until they confirm that she's what they want but there is a possibility my kelpie will be getting her film debut next week :) Nothing to reveal yet(promise I will if they say she's good for the job) but I need to get some ideas because I may need to 'dress her down' and make her look a bit scruffy/unkempt as though she has been trekking about in a really grotty area and not washed too often. Short of actually finding some mud and rolling her in it does anyone have any tips as far as what I can use that's safe on her? Could I safely use something like human grade eyeshadow type powder to get some dark dirty areas on to her if needed? I probably don't have time to order supplies online so it would need to be things I can source locally(and I'm in a regional area so only mainstream type shops here)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

If it wasn't for the gigantic red belly that I know lives there I'd send her in the dam and then try and get her to have a roll LOL. I'll wait to hear exactly how they want her to look and go from there. it might need to be more dark coloured grot like she'd get from hanging around a dirty industrial area, in that case I probably am going to need a 'make up' option. Maybe I could rub crushed charcoal in to her?

Edited by kelpiecuddles

If they are after dirty/muddy I'll get some of the clay dirt from down at our property and do that the night before so it dries in and has a chance to flake and look old, if it's dark industrial type grotty then do you guys reckon if I went and found some coal from someones campfire and rubbed it in to her a bit it would be OK for her?

Oo thanks Piper, I was trying to work out the best way to get it to stick, might make up a little box of bits to take with us if we get the go ahead and we'll be there a couple of hours before start time so they can work out what they want

It gave the dog a very manky moth eaten look with bits of hair clumping together and sticking out at different angles. And with the dirt through it as well there was no sleek shine to it.

I had to make my white dog look like a mangy stray for Great Gatsby.

We used a range of things to finally look right.

We used oil either olive or baby oil and just rub it in patches around shoulders/hips/ cheeks/thighs and a few other patches around.

Then use either chalk powder like for horse make up or dog stuff and rub that in the oil parts

My dog was white so had to look like a street dog so also had to put just a light dusting of oils over her body to take the white away and then some darker focused bits with the rubbing.

If your dog already has a base colour of brown/black you probably wont need the body layer.

Just the oil bits.and then the chalk.

Mud/dirt just falls out of the coat when its dry so has no effect.

Rolling in cow/horse poop might be betterrofl1.gif

Instead of chalk what about just baby powder and the oil? That will also dull the coat. My other idea is to get some debris from under a tree like pine needles and leaves, crush them up and rub them over her coat and maybe around her ears and cheeks too. That will give her a 'stray' look of sleeping and hanging around outdoors.

I hope you guys have fun!

Best I could find at this short notice was a old 'plether' belt at the op shop. Atleast the buckle looks like brass so with a bit of scruffing up from me tonight I think it will pass as old leather. Sascha spent this afternoon walking around looking weird with a cardboard sign tied around her neck to make sure she was used to it for tomorrow. I think she thinks I'm a little crazy LOL