A Topic I Read On Fb About ' Rescues'

Angeluca

Well said Steve, Anne and Anna.

My vet has discounted all of my rescues which has made a huge difference (for me) and for the dogs, though there is no way I would ever expect a discount on my own dogs vet costs.

It makes good business sense for a vet to give a discount to those who make him more money .The big commercial breeders have thousands of dogs being vetted each year providng a large income stream for a vet and if they didn't make a vet compete for their business Id be surprised. I also assume that council pounds and shelters who utilise a large volume of business via a vet would go after quotes and push them to reduce costs for their business.

Any rescue group who hasnt considered asking around and going after the best deal and making vets compete for their business is missing a good opportunity to save some money . Its not because vets feel all warm and snuggly about rescue or puppies even though they may - its simply good business strategy to offer discounts to attract more business. The vet in my town would be pushing to have 1000 animals come through her door per year but there is one breeder here locally who produces about 500 puppies per year and she drives past the local vet to go 50 kilometres away where she saves a massive amount per litter. If the local vet wants her business which instantly increases her turnover and will probably bring in more smaller local breeders as well she either lowers her prices to compete or sits on the steps of her clinic watching the breeders drive by.

I would assume if there was a local rescue who put out numbers into local homes and the vet was competing for that business they might consider giving a discount for dogs who had once been with the rescue to catch them so they dont go to another local vet - makes good business sense to me. I don't see any harm in asking - supply and demand works in all levels of the economy.

The rescue vs adoption vs 'other' thing bothers me in part because I have greys. Every second person I speak to asks me if they are rescues. I generally tell people that they were adopted but that their trainers and owners had planned for their retirement, that I'm in regular contact with one previous breeder who loves hearing how PK is getting on, despite her never making it to the track, have had contact with another to reassure them that H-Dude has landed on a comfortable couch, and that the scars all over one of them are thanks to enthusiastic lizard, duck, chicken, magpie and spider hunting, and not abuse.

I know there are thousands of greys who do need rescue, and who have come from poor places. But mine aren't that, and using the term rescue to describe three dogs, two of whom went from breeder to racing about with litter mates, to trials to them quickly into an adoption programme by 18 months, who really don't have that background, trivialises the position on those dogs who truly do need rescue.

It's up to every individual business whether they choose to offer a discount to their regulars, my work has a loyalty card program which entitles holders to a discount, no different really.

Yes, though there is a difference between reputable rescue and the rest. Adopting families can not even sift through what is out there, let alone Vets or anyone else.

Until rescue is regulated you have no hope. You can meet the best of the best or the worst possible. Both will change your life.

I agree with most of the article, too many people use the term 'rescue' to make themselves feel/look good when many of the dogs were never at risk in the first place, however a true rescue dogs background should always be considered.

We have only one that i would class as a rescue, we know was abused, due to that we have to be careful with him around strange men, he is not going to simply move on from his past life.

I use the word adopt for any animal acquired after it has already had one home (not where it was bred) so another word for a second hand dog but not necessarily a rescue.

I also believe it is neglect to not have dental work done on a dog that needs it, if someone can't afford it they shouldn't have the animal to begin with, money is no excuse for allowing an animal to suffer.

I don't think anyone should ask for a discount at the vets unless the are a registered rescue, we do get discounts on our own animals and our fosters but I have never asked for it and we are usually in there about 2-3 times a month for consults on average. I always pay my bill immediately and I send them a lot if business.

I agree with rascalmyshadow, I use the word "adopt" as a general term for "not from a breeder".

I do refere to my adopted dogs as "rescues" as a collective, basically...its easier then saying "these ones from breeders, these ones are rehomes, these ones are shelter dogs and this one is a rescue" I just say "these ones are rescues, these ones are from breeders" lol

how I actually consider them however is different

Gem and Gyp are shelter dogs, they were dumped at the shelter for various reasons-Gem by the breeder who "had too many" and Gyp by a buyer who realized they could not afford a puppy.

Paisley I consider a rescue, she was surrendered straight to a rescue org( a real RESCUE org in every sense of the term) by her former owner, she WAS well cared for, she was vetted fed good food, been to training classes etc... i knew her previously but she was also beaten(known NOT assumed) by other people in her situation, happy well adjusted dog that I used to know became a terrified mess cowering in fear and messing herself if someone looked at her. I absolutely consider her a "rescue".

Rusty is a rehome, he was given to me by his previous owners unable to keep him.

the rest of my dogs are from breeders

I agree that some people are using the term 'rescue' to simply mean 'a dog I got second hand'. This is not the intended use for the term 'rescue'.

While there might be a better term, at the moment, the term 'rescue' is used by 'rescue groups' to describe dogs they bring into care. Some of those dogs might be genuinely rescued (from poor conditions or a pound where they are at risk of euthanasia) and some might be privately surrendered but in good condition. To me, it might not be the best term, but it's the term we're using now, and it's unlikely to change soon.

I am totally in support of rescue groups getting discounted rates. It's good for that rescue group (if prices are cheaper, then they can theoretically help more dogs) and it's good for that vet (dogs go to new homes with advertising [e.g. the desexing certificate and vaccination certificate has their logo on it] and they get more business, and the business they get is somewhat 'easier' [not numpty average joes, but people with some experience]).

Once a dog is in their forever home, it's weird that any pet owner would expect discounts because of that dog's past... But then it's that vet's prerogative of whether they offer a discount or not. And I'd lean to not.

I am appreciative of this original article being posted as I enjoyed reading it.

I agree that some people are using the term 'rescue' to simply mean 'a dog I got second hand'. This is not the intended use for the term 'rescue'.

While there might be a better term, at the moment, the term 'rescue' is used by 'rescue groups' to describe dogs they bring into care. Some of those dogs might be genuinely rescued (from poor conditions or a pound where they are at risk of euthanasia) and some might be privately surrendered but in good condition. To me, it might not be the best term, but it's the term we're using now, and it's unlikely to change soon.

Agree. When I ran my rescue, a good number of the dogs that came into my care were private surrenders. My service was called Pug Rescue Sydney. I suppose, looking back, I could have called it rescue and rehoming.

Adopters were informed of the dogs background and how it was acquired however. There was never any doubt about the dog and it's history unless it came from a pound.

I used the term for all of them, however, for want of a better word.

The same with the word 'adoption' re a thread here recently. Sure, the dog is being bought and sold but adoption is the common term and I used it just as easily. There was no intention to mislead or cause an emotional response.

I've never asked for a discount from a vet personally don't think I would, Sometimes it's not worth it with either them getting offended or a rude nurse. Have met quite a few who just seem to have no idea how to listen.

It's simple don't be a dress maker if you can't sew, don't deal with people if you can't be polite and actually hear what has been said.

Nurses are the ones i've always spoke to and most i think wouldn't have the authority to bargain. I've always just rung around (prior to finding my current vet) and gone with the best deal instead of asking for it.

Having just gone through the process of adopting an adult dog and looking at various avenues (rescue orgs, pound, private rehome, breeders etc) I've been giving some thought to the terminology. We ended up adopting Charlie privately from a family who couldn't keep him any longer. I don't consider him a rescue dog in the true sense of the word, although I've definitely noticed people have jumped to that term when I explain that we've taken on an adult dog rather than a puppy. It seems to be more prevalent in people's vocab and seems to cover a wide range of circumstances in people's minds.

Vets have the ultimate right to say no. I dont see the harm in asking at all. The clinics that i have approached have been more than happy to do it as it brings them extra business, we recommend them to local adopters and they are good, kind vets that like to help.

I've asked my boarding kennel as well and they, too were more than happy also to help and went so far as to extend the discounted accomodation invite to any future foster dogs i may have (my own dogs stay at full fee) They are now considering fostering dogs off their own backs if the local shelter is full and they have room.

A professional relationship is up to the two parties involved to negotiate. If its mutually beneficial, what's the problem? We race cars as well and our sponsors do some wonderful deals for us and in return their advertising is splashed all over the car and we refer anyone that asks about good mechanical or fabrication work directly to them. Not a huge amount different really. If they didnt want to be involved, they wouldnt be.

totally agree with what the article says, and how the word is being used, I think, mostly to further the breeder bashing that is the flavour of the month by some of the rescue groups out there - along with the other terms such as "greeder" being used to turn people against breeders in any shape or form, and even how rescue groups will say that you go and adopt a pet from them and pay an "adoption fee" that is oh so different from selecting and adopting the animal from a breeder = no there is no difference in terms of the transaction - in both cases, money is being paid in exchange for the animal, and in both cases, the money will not cover the costs of what has been used to raise and care for the animal and its vet work. But the breeders are of course only in it for the $$$$ :rofl: .