Booked My Dogs Into Boarding

tdierikx

So - I'm having my gallbladder removed in a couple of weeks, and decided to board the 2 more bouncy and silly of my 4 dogs.

Mid last month, I rang a vet clinic that also does boarding - a clinic I've had many positive dealings with to date - and booked the 2 dogs in for a week at a quoted rate of $26.10/day each.

Today I ring to make sure that all the dates are right and that all is good... to be told that since I made the booking, all boarding prices have gone up... to $37.95/day each! Ummm... not exactly happy Jan!

So I ring another well known and really good boarding kennel and ask about their rates... $25/day each... sounds good until they refuse to take my dogs' C5 vaccinations as good enough. They insist on the nasal component for the kennel cough... which I was quoted by the vet at $57 each... getting a little peed off by this stage... as I'd already paid out to give the 2 dogs the C5 vaccination instead of their usual C3... grrr!

So I ring the vet clinic/pound/boarding facility around the corner from my place... $21.50/day each, and they are happy to take the C5 vaccination certificate.

Guess which place got my booking?

T.

The original vet clinic does not operate as a pound... but $37.95/day/each is a bit of a price hike from $26.10/day/each as originally quoted for 2 large dogs, don't you think? Were they going to tell me that on dropping them off in 2 weeks time hoping that I'd be stuck with the price hike and no option to arrange something else? It was only that I wanted to confirm all was set to go that I found out that they had decided to change the price on me. If I'd been told at the original time of booking that they were likely to up the prices like that AFTER a booking has been made, there's no chance they would have gotten the original booking.

The private boarding facility and the other vet clinic both also operate a pound facility, but poundies and boarders don't mix... and they are clearly labelled on the kennels. I've seen both lots of kennels myself. No chance of a mix up... lol!

I have an aversion to Hanrob after seeing the condition my neighbour's dog came back from them in - after only 1 weekend. He was never quite the same after that experience...

Both of the dogs I am boarding are large - the Labrador is 26kgs, and the horse puppy is 28kgs - so 21.50 is a darned good price IMHO. I also know the staff at the place they are now booked into and they are awesome with ALL of their charges. The kennels aren't the Ritz, but the care does make up for that.

T.

The important thing to remember on any boarding kennel.... it is not the pretty reception or matching staff uniforms that are important nor is it really the cost... it is how and where the dogs are kept.... and how they cope with the environment..... Many of the vet clinics and larger boarding kennels have small runs and tiny exercise areas... whereas smaller ones might not appear as slick but perhaps offer a great service.

$36 per day is expensive for kennel fees.... paying more doesn't always mean getting better.

Hope it all goes well.

The kennels aren't the Ritz, but the care does make up for that.

T.

and that is the most important thing about boarding kennels. My dog's don't require a whole heap of stuff, just a secure, safe kennel with run attached and people who like their job and the dogs they look after.

mumof4girls that's what I was thinking ... If you both agreed on the quote they have to stick to that price.. $36 a day is a bit pricey!

I have boarded mine at the AWL boarding centre and it's great ... Air-con, own room/play area all for about $25 a day( was the last time I was there)

Well - the price hike boarding simply isn't getting my business now - so they are the ones losing on the deal really, aren't they? At 26.10 per day per dog for 8 nights, they were standing to make nearly $420 from me... now they aren't getting ANY money from me at all.

I know both the owner of the clinic and the partner vet... funny how the girl found every excuse not to put either of them onto the phone when I asked for them by name. She told me that the owner was on holiday until Feb 24 and the partner was in consult for the rest of the day. Next time I see either of them I WILL mention this incident, and put in a complaint about how unprofessional this particular girl is... it won't be the first complaint they've had about her either.

The upside is that the new arrangement will only be costing me $301 for the same 8 nights for 2 dogs... *grin*

As for the other 2 dogs who will be staying at home - my gorgeous DOLer neighbour will feed them for me while I'm actually in the hospital, and I'll be able to manage them just fine after I come home as they are somewhat less bouncy and silly.

I've also found boarding around the corner from home that is affordable (big plus), so maybe I'll be able to have a weekend away now and then... yay! I so want to go to see some of the other zoos with my camera, and was put off by how expensive boarding can be... not any more... I might check out Mogo Zoo first, as I have a friend who lives in Batemans Bay and is happy to put me up for a night or two... *grin*

T.

If it weren't so expensive to fly my dogs over to you OSoSwift... *grin*

What got me in the craw was the girl's attitude on the phone... they're our new prices, and that's what you'll be paying - regardless that you made the booking after being given the price at the time of booking... and I'm not going to be giving you ANY opportunity to talk to someone who can reverse MY decision on the matter.

Some people really shouldn't be allowed to deal with the public... *sigh*

As for the clinic that DID get my booking - the difference in attitude of the lovely girl I spoke to there couldn't have been a bigger breath of fresh air. She had all of the information I was asking for at hand, answered all my questions professionally and happily.

T.

I have an aversion to Hanrob after seeing the condition my neighbour's dog came back from them in - after only 1 weekend. He was never quite the same after that experience...

A little off topic, but YES! My bosses dog has been to hanrob twice in the time I've worked for him (less than 12 months). Both times his Doxie boy has come back sad and mopey. One time he had a clear injection site and reaction to what ever they had given him - he had hives for 3 days and both times he's had chronic gas and the runs. Really unpleasant for an "office dog" and his co-workers.

I would not touch that joint for all the tea in china. Makes me cross - especially considering the price he pays to have him there (I'm sure its not 37 a day)!

To be back on track - I'd be politely telling the first place it's gross they think they can up prices like that without warning and they should honour their current bookings. So gal you found another place for them.

I went and looked at Terrigal Pet Resort to book my two in when I was taking a trip to Perth 18 months ago, that was on the 28th of June. When I went back on the 2nd of July to pay the 50% non refundable deposit the price had gone up. I questioned how the quoted price had changed and the girl said all prices had increased in the new financial year, two days earlier. I asked why that could not have been pointed out to me a few days earlier when I was there and she said they were not required to do that. I dodged a bullet anyway so they did me a favour.

ETA I pay $38 a day for my two another kennel which is a crapload cheaper than TPR.

Edited by HazyWal