Ckcs Puppy

westiemum

Hi All,

I'm currently house-sitting at friends while they are OS - and am incredibly grateful for their air-conditioning!

As well as my three westies, I'm looking after two cats, a lovely 8 year old Dally and a 12 month old rescue Cav….

Its the Cav I'd love some advice on - I took him and the Dally for a walk to the park tonight, for the first time, which is about 100 metres, if that at the end of the street. The Dally was fine on and off lead - the Cav barked and barked - from the front door to the park and all the time we were in the park, and the barking escalated badly with other dogs in the distance. The moment we turned for home the barking stopped and he walked quietly home and hasn't barked since. He was on the lead the whole time. This is the first time I've tried to walk him - and not sure i can continue if I can't find someway of controlling his barking (Yes this is a problem for his owner too).

Hes a lovely boy otherwise - but the barking (fear?) is a real problem.

Advice please!

TIA. smile.gif

It sounds like he is frightened - he may have been attacked on walks before? Poor boy, not sure how to help him - perhaps a snug t-shirt to assist with his anxiety and short walks gradually increasing in length, turning back when he begins to stress (not towards where other dogs are).

When Ingrid first joined us she didn't just bark when we walked she screamed :eek: I did get her out of it but it took a while and lots of patience. She was 18 months old. The moment she screamed we stopped. When she was quiet and calm we'd start again.

My daughter's cavalier has ALWAYS done this. For him it is simply excitement - if we could ever be stuffed to persevere he would get over it within about 30 minutes :eek: . He was so excited it had to come out somewhere. He is now 7 years old and still barks incessantly when he is really excited.

When Ingrid first joined us she didn't just bark when we walked she screamed :eek: I did get her out of it but it took a while and lots of patience. She was 18 months old. The moment she screamed we stopped. When she was quiet and calm we'd start again.

Miah is like that when we first start taking her anywhere, its embarrassing, but hers is from excitement. She does calm down. Hers is not barking but more high pitch girly squealing.

Many of the ckcs I deal with for grooming arrive barking their lungs out in the car and walk up to the salon barking their heads off. They are usually quiet and settled throughout their visit and then vocalize their excitement when their owners return and I can hear them driving off barking their heads off! Certainly not all of them do it, and it's in varying degrees, but seems pretty common amongst the many I see!

My Cav barks in what I thought I was an over-excited way when there is any chance their might be some food for her. She also does this when something new appears on a regular walk, however, when walking in a new area she doesn't. A vet visit showed me that this was, in fact, anxiety.

Thanks to the DOL brains trust we are making progress. I've changed him to a shorter lead which seems to help. And tonight we got all the way to the park with barely a bark. If he barked we backtracked and I waited for him to settle and then continued.

Different matter when he saw the standard poodles in the house next to the park - but I did what you suggested and reinforced quiet. And I think he'll get better at it. Thanks everyone - not only really pleased with him but really pleased with myself!! thumbsup1.gif

Edited by westiemum