Behaviour Issues

Just wanted to update - he didn't "eat" Aidan this evening and we're all feeling distinctly relieved. We have some tools to work on and have enrolled him in the next four weeks of the Reactive Dog Training program.

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate your responses and suggestions either.

If no one minds I'd like to keep this thread updated as he progresses, partly for me/us as we see his progression and partly in case other people join the forum with a dog similar to ours.

eta Just saw your reply Mrs RB, thank you.

Edited by AngryTardis

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If no one minds I'd like to keep this thread updated as he progresses, partly for me/us as we see his progression and partly in case other people join the forum with a dog similar to ours.

That would be great. It's always good to hear how things progress.

Well done AngryTardis :) I can understand your frustration and think you are doing the responsible thing by working with Aidan to see where you can get to with this dog, and being wary of rehoming him.

I hope you have good results, and I agree it would be great to hear how you go.

Just wanted to update - he didn't "eat" Aidan this evening and we're all feeling distinctly relieved. We have some tools to work on and have enrolled him in the next four weeks of the Reactive Dog Training program.

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate your responses and suggestions either.

eta Just saw your reply Mrs RB, thank you.

:thumbsup:

yes! pls keep us posted - so many folks read and get support/ideas from threads like yours. :)

• 6 months later...

oh Angrytardis :(

I really feel for you :(

I have an 18month old dog who always had some minor issues, but escalated completely out of control almost over night (later learned some one had been terrorising him over the fence). Its so hard, and the training/conditioning is so so time consuming. I find it a huge challenge around kids/family committments, and not very enjoyable either.

Whichever way this goes, sending you a huge hug. I soo feel for you.

years and years ago, someone (knowing i was having shitty conflict over a beloved dog and family) told me a story. About a mother, who had 3 children. The youngest one had some pretty serious health and behaviour problems, and the mother drove herself mad trying to cope. Eventually, it got to a point that the mother couldn't cope any longer, the whole family were miserable. She gave the child up to one of those respite child places. She felt horrible, so guilty. But each day she noticed her other 2 children were happy, they could all go out in public without being embarrassed by the 3rd childs behaviour. The older 2 children's personalities really started to shine, the family were much more relaxed. The mother still spent time with the youngest child every week, but seeing her family happy, and smiling ~ obviously right decision.

• 1 month later...

Ruffin is mellowing out! Aidan was a godsend - so thank you forum :)

Ruffin is still nervous and unpredictable at times - he'll never be a "90 year old lab" in personality but he's a lot more fun to be around.

He walks on a slack lead with me and with my 14 year old, if I exercise him off leash in a space where there are no other people he returns every time he's called.

He still has issues with the front door but I think someone a few pages back suggested crating him? He does that himself now - someone will come to the door, he barks like a mad thing then puts himself in my son's room (which is where his bed is) and stays there.

His "reactivity" has reduced - we can walk past people, cars, people with scary things like big flappy bags but we're able to SEE his reaction ahead of time and move him away if he's getting nervous, he's got quite a distinctive mouth movement if he's stressed and now we can see that we can set him up to succeed. He gets a lot of praise when he notices things but no longer reacts to them and I ignore his freakouts apart from telling him no and making him sit until he's deathly bored of the whole thing and gives up so we can get moving again.

His main issue is people "creeping up on us" when we're walking, i.e. coming past us from behind. But I'm more vigilant now so if he reacts it's small rather than big.

Aidan's classes were great for helping us see his comfort zones and for us to relax into him.

I don't think he'll ever be an off leash dog but that's what we're working towards, he's certainly lovely to have around now and I just wanted to thank the forum members for suggesting Aidan and for your kindness and lack of judgement.