Pawing The Water Out Of His Bowl

TCB

Hi All,

We caught our tibbie pup flicking the water out of his bowl a couple of days ago. We tried to distract him and eventually just picked him up and moved him for a little while, every time we spot him doing it we just try to redirect or do the loud buzzer like AH sound.

I left him alone for two hours today in his playpen and came home to find he'd emptied the entire bowl out. Any tips on how I can get him to stop doing this?

Hi All,

We caught our tibbie pup flicking the water out of his bowl a couple of days ago. We tried to distract him and eventually just picked him up and moved him for a little while, every time we spot him doing it we just try to redirect or do the loud buzzer like AH sound.

I left him alone for two hours today in his playpen and came home to find he'd emptied the entire bowl out. Any tips on how I can get him to stop doing this?

I think you only have two real choices;

1. Do an "Aha No" when he does it, and positive reinforce with a treat when he drinks correctly from the bowl and try to train it out.

2. Get a raised water dish or bucket for him to drink from.

when my whippet started doing this as a puppy I bought him a clam shell wading pool because I could see he loved paddling in water.

Snap, this is what we did, more for cooling my boy, but the added bonus was that he has never pawed his drink bowl since :thumbsup:

when my whippet started doing this as a puppy I bought him a clam shell wading pool because I could see he loved paddling in water.

Snap, this is what we did, more for cooling my boy, but the added bonus was that he has never pawed his drink bowl since :thumbsup:

Nova will still paw in is bowl on occasion, but because he has the pool I know he'll never go without water if he does happen to do it.

Nova will still paw in is bowl on occasion, but because he has the pool I know he'll never go without water if he does happen to do it.

I probably should have said, he now only paws his big blue plastic clam shaped dog drinking/swimming bowl :laugh:

I bought it for Tag but then I got tadpoles in there, so I got water plants to make a froggy habitat, but Tag still uses it. Now I call him a Whippapotamus. When he climbs out he's got all green plants across his nose from where he sticks his head under the water.

4189497378_ab9924e62d_n.jpg

4097624998_2eac682bb8_n.jpg

and the cutest one where he's trying to see the taddies :laugh:

4097631790_e4bcb25410_n.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

I bought it for Tag but then I got tadpoles in there, so I got water plants to make a froggy habitat, but Tag still uses it. Now I call him a Whippapotamus. When he climbs out he's got all green plants across his nose from where he sticks his head under the water.

4189497378_ab9924e62d_n.jpg

Whippapotamus :rofl::rofl: :rofl:

Hi All,

I think you only have two real choices;

1. Do an "Aha No" when he does it, and positive reinforce with a treat when he drinks correctly from the bowl and try to train it out.

2. Get a raised water dish or bucket for him to drink from.

Little puppy + bucket = :eek: What if he got in it & it didn't tip over & he couldn't get out ?

Try a heavier bowl with a flat bottom that covers a larger area. 2 of my siamese cats kept doing this & I found a square plastic food storage container minus the lid was a better shape & more stable. Once they realised it wouldn't tip they stopped trying.

Pup is only playing & having fun. Just a phase.

One of my pugs does this, he's 18 months old so it's not always just a phase ;)

Our water bowls don't tip over, they are ceramic, but he 'digs' the water out. Or he sticks his entire head in and puts it all over the floor that way.

Either way, he prefers his water on the floor :laugh:

Best water bowls I have are big inserts out of old slow cookers, got for a couple of dollars each at the op shop. probably a bit big for a little breed puppy yet but if he's still doing it as he gets old this might be a good option for you, they stay nice and cool too.

Thanks guys! He seems to hate water any other time so I'm not sure if he'd go for the shell idea. He's not trying to lay or splash in it, just flicking it out of the bowl. Were any of your dogs like that as well?

Tibbies can be cat-like sometimes, he's just having fun. :)

Indoors or in crates when you don't want water everywhere, just get a large ceramic bowl and sit a smaller one inside it. So the bowl can't tip and a lot of the excess water ends up in the moat created by the bigger bowl.

Indoors or in crates when you don't want water everywhere, just get a large ceramic bowl and sit a smaller one inside it. So the bowl can't tip and a lot of the excess water ends up in the moat created by the bigger bowl.

alternative, get a bucket. All my Labbie pups have dug in their water. I use 20 litre paint buckets; they can't get their feet in these, so I only have to deal with dribble and slobber, as opposed to the whole lot ending up on the floor.

Little puppy + bucket = :eek: What if he got in it & it didn't tip over & he couldn't get out ?

I would be worried about this as well.

Not sure how old your puppy is though be sure his his water bowl (or little pool) are safe for him re size ratio.

Perhaps more than one ceramic bowl, pop a hand towel or bath mat underneath to stop the bowls moving around and to catch any water he paddles out :)

It has been so hot lately and he has found a new game :)

I love the photos of Puck Kirslin, gorgeous!

Agree, an alternative water source he can play in and I bet he leaves the bowl alone..

Zig will stand in his water bucket (outside) if there is no water in his clam shell..

From memory, Master Hardware had some smaller sized clam shells.

Being a little pup, I would only put about 5cm of water in it..

Thanks guys! He seems to hate water any other time so I'm not sure if he'd go for the shell idea. He's not trying to lay or splash in it, just flicking it out of the bowl. Were any of your dogs like that as well?

That's what my whippet started with, then he'd dunk his head under the water in the large container my friend had at her place and that's when I thought he'd like more water to play in. My new puppy puts her paws in the water bowl too sometimes and I've shown her the clam shell and she's plays mostly with her front paws in it. Rarely gets right in of her own choice.

Your puppy might grow out of it, perhaps he's just learning and exploring his world.

Edited by Kirislin

alternative, get a bucket. All my Labbie pups have dug in their water. I use 20 litre paint buckets; they can't get their feet in these, so I only have to deal with dribble and slobber, as opposed to the whole lot ending up on the floor.

For a small breed puppy a large & deep or tall container is hugely risky. But I get where you're at with the labbies.