Do You Bring Your Dog To Cafes?

Guest hanko

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to take my beagles to a cafe, but I'm pretty sure that Miss Mia Beagle would go insane the moment she smelt food. Food in a controlled environment is manageable at the best of time! (Miss Mia has food aggression). Having my 2 at my feet a cafe is a dream for me, and I love seeing other doggies at cafés, and often ask if I can have a pat. I don't see why well behaved dogs can't enjoy time out with their owners at cafés, and other places.

Edited by SeeGee

Guest hankodie

Yep I totally agree HW and SG, as long as the dog is well behaved I don't see a problem. Like other people have mentioned there's way more of a chance that I'll be annoyed by someone's out of control kid rather than a dog that's sitting quietly next to their owner's feet!

oddly enough I feel the same about parents and untrained children wreckit!

x a billion

I'd much rather dogs than children in a cafe!

Yep, me too.

Me three!!

Western Sydney is not very dog friendly at all. If we take our frenchie out, it need to take her somewhere nearer the city where dogs are more accepted.

Not for a long time.

We do have one cafe now where we can take them and sit in a nice quiet outside area. But you still have to go in and order and I don't want to leave them tied up.

If you don't want to go to a cafe with dogs, either go inside or to one that doesn't have dogs. If a dog was annoying mine I would ask that management tell the owners to contain or remove it.

As I live out if town I only take the dogs when I specifically need or want to do they are not sitting in the car. If it is winter I will take them, but then it is too cold to sit outside :)

Well I take my dogs and my kids so don't go to the café I frequent! :D

Actually the café we go to has a fenced little playground at the back for the kids to play on and a lovely big outdoor area out the back where dogs are welcome and then seating indoors as well so their are suitable seating options for those with kids and dogs and those without. it's a lovely café, highly regarded in our area and has awesome food and hot drinks. They also make dog bikkies for their canine visitors :)

Guest hankodie

*groan* why do these discussions always end up with the dogs vs. kids debate?

I don't necessarily think it's a dogs vs kids debate, I think some people are just trying to make the point that there are more scenarios likely to annoy someone sitting at a cafe other than someone's quiet dog under a table - out of control kids being one of them.

I have the same opinion on kids and dogs at cafes - the more the merrier as long as they are well behaved, in control and aren't bothering anyone else :)

Guest hankodie

Well I take my dogs and my kids so don't go to the café I frequent! :D

Actually the café we go to has a fenced little playground at the back for the kids to play on and a lovely big outdoor area out the back where dogs are welcome and then seating indoors as well so their are suitable seating options for those with kids and dogs and those without. it's a lovely café, highly regarded in our area and has awesome food and hot drinks. They also make dog bikkies for their canine visitors :)

Aw sounds like a lovely joint KC!

Nope it's a pet hate of mine and I despise people that bring their bloody animals to cafe's etc. Leave them at home.

If they're calm and not causing a problem what's the issue?

I don't want to see a dog or be near a dog when I'm dining out. The issue is people cant and won't control them and think it's fine for them to approach others, block walk ways, sniff and lick and eat off the café plates. If you want to dine with your dog do it at home or feel free to eat in the leash free or somewhere else that dogs are permitted. I also don't want to ride next to one on public transport, share a hotel room or a plane trip.

I also do not buy into the dogs v kids garbage that's trotted out, for the simple fact that children are not dogs.

It is, they even made a decision about 12 months ago to install a large permanent marquee tent over the rear half of the outdoor area, previously the back section of tables and the playground had been in the full elements, no shade and no shelter from the rain, now it's an all weather playground :) The kids potter off down the back and all the adult patrons can relax because there is no rear 'escape hatch' at the back of the café so the kids can't go anywhere. Yesterday we went we had our basset hound and there was a couple with a toy poodle and another regular with his bearded collie, all lay quietly under the table. :)

The issue is people cant and won't control them and think it's fine for them to approach others, block walk ways, sniff and lick and eat off the café plates

Holy hell WIW, I've never seen anyone do that! I'm pro dogs at cafes and I wouldn't like that. Is behaviour like that common in your area? Back in Melbourne we used to go to cafes around Brighton and never had that issue and up here our favourite café at Huskisson I've never seen a dog do more than lie at it's owners feet.

Guest hankodie

Nope it's a pet hate of mine and I despise people that bring their bloody animals to cafe's etc. Leave them at home.

I don't want to see a dog or be near a dog when I'm dining out. The issue is people cant and won't control them and think it's fine for them to approach others, block walk ways, sniff and lick and eat off the café plates. If you want to dine with your dog do it at home or feel free to eat in the leash free or somewhere else that dogs are permitted. I also don't want to ride next to one on public transport, share a hotel room or a plane trip.

I also do not buy into the dogs v kids garbage that's trotted out, for the simple fact that children are not dogs.

You've never come across a well-behaved dog at a cafe WIW? I find that surprising.

Also, I hope you never plan on moving outside of Australia (especially to Europe or the US), you'd absolutely hate it :laugh:

Yep I totally agree HW and SG, as long as the dog is well behaved I don't see a problem. Like other people have mentioned there's way more of a chance that I'll be annoyed by someone's out of control kid rather than a dog that's sitting quietly next to their owner's feet!

Totally agree.

You've never come across a well-behaved dog at a cafe WIW? I find that surprising.

Also, I hope you never plan on moving outside of Australia (especially to Europe or the US), you'd absolutely hate it :laugh:

Yes I have to wonder about the cafes one frequents if that's what they're seeing. I go to cafes a lot and have NEVER seen any of the things described.

Guest hankodie

I alternate between 3 local cafes and I frequent them pretty much daily and apart from the lady I wrote about in my OP, as well as the odd irresponsible owner here and there, my experiences with owners bringing their dogs to cafes have been largely positive. I feel bad that it's not the case for everyone.

I can't say the same for dog parks/other public areas where dogs are allowed but I think that's maybe because a dog has to have a basic level of training in order to be able to sit patiently with their owner and not cause a scene - as opposed to an off lead dog park where a lot of owners seem to adopt the "anything goes" attitude. Maybe that's why I (and other people in this thread) have encountered so many well behaved dogs at cafes? Just a theory.

edit: no idea why I wrote 'original lady'

Edited by hankodie

Are the Europeans any better at keeping their dogs on leash where required ? can they manage to clean up their dog crap ? do they abide by the regulations where dogs are not permitted ?

Because quite frankly Australians don't do very well, they seem to think that their dog has the right to dine with them, can be taken into a supermarket shoved down their shirt or held in their arms, that they can take it to the beach regardless off the applicable shire laws. How does Europe look ? is it littered with dogs shit ? because there's plenty of it all around this country. I see dogs in children's playgrounds and at schools in NSW despite it being illegal.

Just because I think my dog is well behaved and not disturbing anyone, it doesn't give me the right to ignore applicable legislation and by-laws and the same applies to every other dog owner.

These people are not ignoring laws ( in the vast majority) they are taking their dogs (and kids) to the appropriate businesses and not to those that don't want them.

I am assuming you have never had to share hotel rooms, public transport and planes with guide dogs, diabetic alert dogs or formally accredited assistance dogs then?

Only a few days ago if was seated in the outdoor area of out local cafe. A CKCS came in with his owner, laid at her feet and she have him a drink out if the bowl etc she had brought with her.

If I hadn't of seen him walk in I wouldn't have known he was there. He was quiet, was sleeping infront of her feet(under the table) the only impact he had was when a lady who was travelling on a large cruise liner that was docked in town, asked if she may pat him. I don't see what is so offensive about that?

Edited by OSoSwift

oddly enough I feel the same about parents and untrained children wreckit!

x a billion

I'd much rather dogs than children in a cafe!

Yep, me too.

*groan* why do these discussions always end up with the dogs vs. kids debate?

I don't necessarily think it's a dogs vs kids debate, I think some people are just trying to make the point that there are more scenarios likely to annoy someone sitting at a cafe other than someone's quiet dog under a table - out of control kids being one of them.

I have the same opinion on kids and dogs at cafes - the more the merrier as long as they are well behaved, in control and aren't bothering anyone else :)

If people say there are more scenarios likely to annoy people at cafes than dogs, I'd agree with that. But that's not what was said and I find the comparison irrelevant, almost a straw man argument. If you replaced the word 'children' in the quotes above with the name of any other minority group I wouldn't like it either.