Do You Bring Your Dog To Cafes?

Guest hanko

We took Vinnie last night for dinner for the first time.

I took some kibble so I could use it to distract him but he wasn't keen on it. So we got him some grilled fish and the cafe owner was very cuffed so took a photo for their fb page hehe.

He was well behaved and we completely intend on taking him out again. We just need to check menus for things he can eat or take something with us.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hankodie

We take ours sometimes, but the cafe we go to has an enclosed verandah area, so he's not in anyone's way when we're there. I think having an unhappy dog somewhere that there are a lot of people walking past is just mean...

I think so too! Hank is the sort of dog who can chill out while we have coffee, Odie on the other hand is a nightmare in that situation because everything excites her too much. I leave her at home if I plan on grabbing lunch after a walk, it's less stressful for the both of us!

We also have a frenchie and she use to get very excited when we took her out. I think now that she is older she is much better and use to it.

My OH and I generally have breakfast out on the weekend. but we have to go before a certain time to take Lucy otherwise its hard to get a table outside. If its too late then we generally don't bring her so it opens up our options of where we can sit. We are in a very dog friendly area.

You're lucky lulu! I doubt Odie will ever calm down enough to sit somewhere patiently & quietly for an hour :laugh: she'd be bored to tears. That's OK though we do heaps of other fun stuff with her and leave Hank to enjoy the boring cafe activities :laugh:

Guest hankodie

We took Vinnie last night for dinner for the first time.

I took some kibble so I could use it to distract him but he wasn't keen on it. So we got him some grilled fish and the cafe owner was very cuffed so took a photo for their fb page hehe.

He was well behaved and we completely intend on taking him out again. We just need to check menus for things he can eat or take something with us.

I still take treats with me to reward Hank for lying down and ignoring other people and dogs :thumbsup: this morning it was BBQ chicken. I usually take high value treats with me as it's a great opportunity to proof his training around distractions.

I take mine out to cafés all the time, naturally not all of them at once though, that would be crazy.

All mine sit politely under the table and never make a sound. No one has ever complained and more often than not I get a number of people asking to pat them and chat abput the breeds. Neither samoyeds or havanese aee well know so it's a good chance for people to see well groomed, well bred dogs and hopefully steer them towards good breeders.

Max grew up on Oxford St and Stanley St Darlinghurst, so she's a cafe girl at heart. She was taught to sit quietly and chew on her pigs ear, or carrot, or stick, or toy whatever she had, until I went away for a few weeks and OH started to feed her at the table and it all fell apart :eek:

Now I have two, and they are older, it's too hard as they try and play and tangle each other up or if they settled people come up and want to pat them and say hi which gets them excited. So we take them to the ultimate pet friend cafe - Cafe Bones, so we can sit and have a coffee and they sit nicely under the table off-lead and don't move, even though they have a huge park and other dogs to play with (typically!!!)

Baby Max at Bill & Tony's

7df75395-e991-425a-91b1-77b1d347be2d_zps57c0e5c2.jpg

Edited by minimax

Guest hankodie

I take mine out to cafés all the time, naturally not all of them at once though, that would be crazy.

All mine sit politely under the table and never make a sound. No one has ever complained and more often than not I get a number of people asking to pat them and chat abput the breeds. Neither samoyeds or havanese aee well know so it's a good chance for people to see well groomed, well bred dogs and hopefully steer them towards good breeders.

Good point Bjelkier, I've had heaps of questions about Hank and I always bring up the importance of finding a good breeder. A couple of ladies stopped to pat Hank the other day and one of them said to the other "see! This is why I want one. They are so sensible." I had to laugh and tell her that I put HEAPS of work into Hank's training, then I pointed at the clicker and the bag of treats next to me :laugh:

Guest hankodie

Awww baby Max! Too cute, I bet you can't go anywhere with your 2 MM without people mobbing you wanting to pat them :laugh:

Awww baby Max! Too cute, I bet you can't go anywhere with your 2 MM without people mobbing you wanting to pat them :laugh:

Nope! We were in Newcastle a few months back and it was insane, more people than ever were coming up to us while we were having breakfast at a cafe wanting to talk to us about them, talk to them, pat them, play with them, and I was like don't they have pugs in Newcastle! Black pugs are a lot more common in Sydney now so it's not as bad, so it just surprised me how it was up there!

Yep, at least once a week :D

Every Sunday we walk along the river and stop at one cafe or another (depending on how far we are walking). I usually just tie Sid up and duck in for a take away coffee though. This week I met my mum for coffee and Sid came along too. The staff were enamored and kept coming out to talk to him :laugh: He just lays down and has a snooze most of the time. I think 99% of people with dogs at cafes are really responsible - mostly I just see dogs asleep under tables. We did have one encounter with an offlead dog - there's one in every crowd, unfortunately.

I think Noosa is way more dog friendly than Brisbane.

I have only taken Chadley out twice so far. First was a rural café and he behaved well. The other week we went to our local pub, also a rural location. Like a lot of others have said, I think of it as a great opportunity to cement training. We have only had Chad a short time and we are still working out his traits, so I try to expose him to a lot of stuff to suss out his behaviour.

I think Noosa is way more dog friendly than Brisbane.

Totally agree.

I haven't ever taken Deniki, not to any fault of his own I just have never gone to one while he is with me!

Kokoda on the other hand has been to a few :)

But brisbane is not super dog friendly in places. Having to tie them up away from the cafe etc.

There is one awesome place nearby though that lets them sit outside and will bring water :)

Most of the dogs there are well behaved.

we have a nice cafe that is dog friendly we to for coffees or lunch.

waiter brings a water bowl out when he notices the dog, though we get the comment 'sorry didnt notice you had a dog' a bit. Our girl sits nice and quiet (though we do go for coffee after a big run)we tend to sit out of the way and she sits and watches the people or snoozes. we think she's doing well for a 1yr old

Edited by sunny1shine

Guest hankodie

Nope it's a pet hate of mine and I despise people that bring their bloody animals to cafe's etc. Leave them at home.

That's interesting WIW, is it because you don't like the idea of animals and food in the same environment or is it something more specific? Just interested!

On a sidenote I've travelled/lived lots of places in my short life and I've always found a big correlation between dog friendly places and well behaved dogs/sensible owners. The more dog friendly the city, the more examples I've seen of dogs acting extremely calm and well behaved.

I will always remember the time I was in Saks in the US and a cute little lady walked in with her ENORMOUS mastiff, the dog sat there next to her the entire time, perfectly still like a piece of furniture while she tried on designer shoes :laugh:

Nope it's a pet hate of mine and I despise people that bring their bloody animals to cafe's etc. Leave them at home.

:laugh: why does that not surprise me.

Why leave them at home when there are cafes that encourage you to bring your dogs? Hankodie and I live in the same beachside suburb and as she said a lot of the cafes here are doggy friendly but there are a lot that arn't as well. If people don't like those bloody dogs go to one of the other bloody cafes.