Propalin

westiemum

Hi All,

Mac has been on Propalin for mild incontinence for about three months having previously been on Stilboestrel - and he seems to have become a really angry westie. He and Andy had a really full on fight last night while I was out. The only damage is a deep tooth mark below Mac's left eye. So I gave him an AB and tramadol last night when I got home and he slept comfortably, bathed it this morning and I think it will be OK now I've cleaned it up.

I finally got around to reading the flyer which accompanies the Propalin and it says that aggression can be a side effect. I'm seriously thinking of leaving him off the Propalin for a couple of days and then switching him back to Stilboestrel after a discussion with my vet.

Has anyone else had this problem with Propalin? What did you do?

TIA.

There seem to be so many side effects :( . Tamar (female Shi Tzu x Maltese of 10 years) has been on it for a couple of months and I haven't noticed any changes in her. When she first started taking it, however, after a couple of days, she did seem a little strange (sitting on her own and staring at me seemed to be the most obvious), but when the bed wetting started again, I recommenced the Propaline and since then, all has been well.

Might be different in male dogs.

I'm sorry about the fight - it is so upsetting and scary - and hopefully you can get it sorted.

Hi All,

Mac has been on Propalin for mild incontinence for about three months having previously been on Stilboestrel - and he seems to have become a really angry westie. He and Andy had a really full on fight last night while I was out. The only damage is a deep tooth mark below Mac's left eye. So I gave him an AB and tramadol last night when I got home and he slept comfortably, bathed it this morning and I think it will be OK now I've cleaned it up.

I finally got around to reading the flyer which accompanies the Propalin and it says that aggression can be a side effect. I'm seriously thinking of leaving him off the Propalin for a couple of days and then switching him back to Stilboestrel after a discussion with my vet.

Has anyone else had this problem with Propalin? What did you do?

TIA.

Yes, definitely! My Border Terrer bitch was put on to Propalin a few years ago now for incontinence, and she became quite hyper, nervy and aggro (though she never picked fights with my other dogs). After about 5-6 months I took her off it, she levelled out and, best of all, hasn't had a problem with incontinence since then.....touch wood!

Thanks all - was beginning to think I was going crazy and imagining things! Thanks Toshman - I might take him off the Propalin and see how he goes - and if the incontinence returns then I'll switch him back to the Stilboestrel. With any luck the treatment he's had might have done the trick. He certainly seems to have been much more reliable and happy to trot outside of late. We'll see...

Yep Perse I'm suspicious that Mac is starting it - so poor little Andy is not really sure whats going on!

After about 5-6 months I took her off it, she levelled out and, best of all, hasn't had a problem with incontinence since then.....touch wood!

I am hoping against hope that this will be the case with Tamar. She hates it, but it has stopped the bed wetting (only at night on my bed and very rarely on the couch :( ) as I would hate to think she'd be on it for the rest of her life and twice a day at that.

It is only a drop for a dog of Tamar's size, but if she can be weaned off it after a while, I will be very happy.

Yes it's a relief to not have to go through all the Propalin administration rigmarole with Mac - carving out hollows in pieces of cheese - he can't have the syrup syringed straight into his mouth because of his open airway and the risk of aspiration - so it was quite a palava twice a day.

Yes it's a relief to not have to go through all the Propalin administration rigmarole with Mac - carving out hollows in pieces of cheese - he can't have the syrup syringed straight into his mouth because of his open airway and the risk of aspiration - so it was quite a palava twice a day.

Oh, that sounds impossible and so stressful for both of you.

Until I had to try to medicate Tamar, I would never have believed that you couldn't give a tablet to a dog :eek: . But giving (or trying to is more to the point) tablets to Tamar is a virtual impossibility. She is terrified. You can't put it down her throat because she bites and you can't give it to her in treats because she spits it out or leaves it. She is not food oriented so you can't hide it in her food.

So the only thing I can give her is the Propaline.

My Mac seems to be ok with it WM. I just put the .25ml onto the top of his meat & raw vegies twice a day and he eats it all up quick smart.

I don't know what you can do regarding the incontinence...having drips of pee over the floor and on his bedding is the pits, it's a bugger washing out bedding every day as well as washing wee-stinkin' doggie underneaths.

Thanks boronia and RMS - Mac now hasn't had any Propalin since Saturday night and seems calmer - no aggression today - although according to the house-mate he was a bit sick this afternoon - luckily not on the carpet. Maybe a bit of withdrawal. No signs of the incontinence so far either - so fingers and paws crossed my lovely old boy will be OK. (He's snoring his head off at the moment). Will enquire about the Incurin next time I'm at the vet. But so far all quiet on the western front. Thanks everyone.smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

Another good day aggression and fighting wise - and nothing even remotely like the full on blue with Andy from Saturday night. So I'm becoming more and more suspicious that it was the Propalin that caused the problem. A few more days and I'll know.

Yes Perse it does seem better since I stopped his medication. He's with his grandmother for the day today and I've asked her to watch and tell me how he goes.

RMS not the vet didn't warn me - and yes he should have. I'll have that discussion with him next time I see him. At least no accidents so far... so fingers crossed the medication was enough to last him a while - at least until I get back into my own house.

Sounds like a typical vet if you don't ask the questions they don't tell you anything.

I was lucky I was working in the vet clinic at the time so I would give them the third degree on everything, they had to tell me or put up with my complaints every day.

The reaction your seeing although not common is also not rare either.