Training To Walk On Leash

Hi we have had Abby for almost 3 months now and she is 11 months old. We walk her every day and I am still not having much success with loose leash walking. We are getting the occasional moments on our walk when the leash is loose and then I go crazy with praise but for the most part she is still pulling on the leash. I have done lots of research, have tried lots of different ways, praising when it is loose, saying no when she pulls, rewarding with very special delicious treats when it is loose , making her stop and sit quietly until she calms, starting again with a "heel" holding the leash close to me. I am at a loss. I am sure it must be ME but I don't know what else to do!

We finish our 4 nights of obedience training tomorrow night. At training she walks well, can pull at times but not like she does when we are out and about. She sits, waits when I say wait before we walk down stairs, does not run ahead of me. We are getting the 'stays' and 'drops' under control. She comes when she is off leash and I call her. It's just the walks. I so want to make our walks more pleasant. What do the more experienced dog owners think? Should I get someone to just do some one on one leash training with us? I am prepared to do that if it helps.

She has a collar the is webbing with chain that if up high on her neck gives me more control, but for most of the walk she pants and makes throaty noises.

She is a mini schnauzer and can be stubborn but I am determined to work this out for both our sakes. Does anyone have any suggestions? :mad

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im also tackling that issue at the moment with my 5 month old great dane cross puppy. I found taking her dinner kibble or treats on a walk helped. When she was walking nicely I would say her name so she looked at me and then give her a treat. After a while if she was walk a bit to far infront but not full on pulling I would say her name and if she returned to my side she'd get a treat. If she just kept full on pulling I'd stand still and wait till she stopped, get her to sit next to me then keep walking. We are starting.obedience club next week so I can start teaching her to actually heel but this was just how I managed it while we were waiting to start and it worked alright. Have you asked your obedience instructor how to manage it? Im sure its just a matter of persevering and being consistent with something that worked. Was she responsive to any of the techniques you tries?

Edited by Terri S.

Me 3. Nix was great at training too. While he's manageable now with a halti, he still pulls enough that it's unpleasant. He's impossible to walk without the halti. He's a very powerful, stubborn lab. Have tried many different tactics including stopping or changing direction when the leash is tight, and he never seems to make the connection.

I sympathise with you on the powerful thing, Didi could easily pull me over if she wanted to so when she throws her weight into it and really pulls I really struggle to hold on! She's good on pavements and streets but in open spaces she's crazy. Hoping obedience can help sort her out :/

You've thrown too much into the stew pot.

Have a long lead, let her run around and when she is about to pull give her constant fast pops on the collar and turn in the opposite direction. Don't say a word unless she is right next to you and paying attention to you. Don't bother with no, short leads etc they actually make the dog want to get further away. She has to learn some self sufficiency - if you go pull you will get no praise, no reward and firm pops on the leash, If you don't pull, you get verbal praise, jackpot treats for looking at me and no pressure on the collar.

Black and white. You will have to spend a little more time doing it now as she has a habit of ignoring you. But NO verbal chastisement otherwise, who wants to listen to someone that nags ;)

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions we will continue on with our training and hopefully eventually get there.

After our last obedience training tonight I am considering going to one of the Saturday dog obedience/agility/training groups would this work with Abby? My reading of these types of groups makes me think they may only be for dogs like GSD or collie type dogs. Is this my misconception?

I used a check chain when training my Lab to heel... used properly, check chains are wonderful things...

T.

We use a check chain she pants and huffs and huffs and puffs on the walks. If I put it up high enough on her neck I find it works much better.

I think time may help as well and persistence. There was a period of a few months with Maya I thought 'she's never going to get this I may as well just let her walk ahead.' now I'm so glad we stuck to training for calm walkies!!

You have given me hope Chris the rebel.

Im also tackling that issue at the moment with my 5 month old great dane cross puppy. I found taking her dinner kibble or treats on a walk helped. When she was walking nicely I would say her name so she looked at me and then give her a treat. After a while if she was walk a bit to far infront but not full on pulling I would say her name and if she returned to my side she'd get a treat. If she just kept full on pulling I'd stand still and wait till she stopped, get her to sit next to me then keep walking. We are starting.obedience club next week so I can start teaching her to actually heel but this was just how I managed it while we were waiting to start and it worked alright. Have you asked your obedience instructor how to manage it? Im sure its just a matter of persevering and being consistent with something that worked. Was she responsive to any of the techniques you tries?

This is slowly working Terri thanks. I have found she loves frankfurts I cut them up really small and she will do most things for them. Wish I had found them earlier.

We use a check chain she pants and huffs and huffs and puffs on the walks. If I put it up high enough on her neck I find it works much better.

Unfortunately, this is why, when people do not know how to use a CHECK chain , they become a CHOKE chain :(

There is a technique in using a check chain ..and if you do not know how to use it , please get a trainer to show you correctly . if a dog huffs & puffs & pulls - a few things are happening - one being the dog learns to pull harder to get what it wants . Another is that the trachea/throat of the dog is being squashed . One more is that the dog is learning how to walk on a tight, tense lead ;)

YOU need to be taught timing and technique . Correcting/praising /encouraging ..all these are best done a certain way and in a certain time frame . understanding your dog's body language is also a VERY important skill - knowing in advance what they are about to do, so you can react appropiately :)

I think time may help as well and persistence. There was a period of a few months with Maya I thought 'she's never going to get this I may as well just let her walk ahead.' now I'm so glad we stuck to training for calm walkies!!

You have given me hope Chris the rebel.

These days we even rollerblade together, I never would have done that with her when she was around a year!

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions we will continue on with our training and hopefully eventually get there.

After our last obedience training tonight I am considering going to one of the Saturday dog obedience/agility/training groups would this work with Abby? My reading of these types of groups makes me think they may only be for dogs like GSD or collie type dogs. Is this my misconception?

Most clubs won't let dogs under 18 months go over jumps but they can still get introduced to ground work and I would certainly say obedience is for any dog that you are willing to persist with, sure the more biddable and receptive breeds may advance through quicker but anyone can do it. I just joined one and I have a big bouncy dane cross boofa puppy but she really likes to learn so I don't think you should restrict yourself on breed alone :) at the end of the day you'll strengthen the bond with your dog while improving training techniques.

Saturday dog obedience/agility/training groups would this work with Abby? My reading of these types of groups makes me think they may only be for dogs like GSD or collie type dogs.

have you thought about contacting the club by phone or email or on their site ? Ask them;talk to them ..then you will be better informed and able to decide :)

The point of a correction chain is to give the dog a correction just before it puts pressure on the leash. A quick pop motion, think of it as a reverse poke. If your dog is huffing and puffing you're using it in completely the wrong manner.

No way! They're amazing! We take our two and have got a lot from it! There's all types at ours too. I do recommend it!

All these dog sports including agility are for ALL breeds of dogs. I have even seen a min. dachie competing at top level once :laugh: I am surprised that no-one on this topic has come in & said that there is a positive reward way of teaching your dog to walk on a loose leash. Much kinder to use a clicker than a choke chain :( If I get more time before I go to bed I will put it up, if no-one else has by then :)

All these dog sports including agility are for ALL breeds of dogs. I have even seen a min. dachie competing at top level once :laugh: I am surprised that no-one on this topic has come in & said that there is a positive reward way of teaching your dog to walk on a loose leash. Much kinder to use a clicker than a choke chain :( If I get more time before I go to bed I will put it up, if no-one else has by then :)

Thanks sheena I would be really interested.

clicker only works if the dog pays attention to you and is not always foolproof if the dog finds the surrounding environment of higher value then the handler and the 'treats' offered. Which by the way should never be the whole reward but the clicker makes it so.