Dog Tattooed

Staffyluv

Link to story

The artist, known as Mistah Metro, posted a photo of his newly tattooed dog on Instagram with a fresh red heart on its right shoulder, the Gothamist reports.

"One of the many reasons my dog is cooler than yours! She had her spleen removed yesterday and the vet let me tattoo her while she was under," the caption read.

The owner of Brooklyn's Red Legged Devil parlour where the artist works was quick to distance himself from the tattoo via Twitter.

"That dog was not tattooed at the shop. Chris Torres and red legged devil LLC had nothing to do with it," owner Chris Torres tweeted.

American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) said it condones the use of tattooing for only identification purposes.

"Tattooing an animal for the vain sake of joy and entertainment of the owner without any regard for the well-being of the animal… is not something the ASPCA supports," they said in a statement.

Source: Gothamist

Author: Emily Crane, Approving editor: Martin Zavan

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She was tattooed under GA for neccessary surgery --- it doesn't interfere with her functioning.... can't see how it's 'cruel' . Ear cropping/dewclaw removal, carting dogs around in backpacks ..?? ASPCA is fine with ..but a bit of ink ?

No, no need for it - and I hope that other folks don't try & do similar without the GA . but :shrug:

"Tattooing an animal for the vain sake of joy and entertainment of the owner without any regard for the well-being of the animal… is not something the ASPCA supports," they said in a statement.

Whoa! How horrid. He doesn't have the support of the ASPCA eek1.gif

Giving a tat to a dog that's under GA seems pretty harmless to me. But what an ugly, boring, trite tat! Looks like something a 1950's teen might carve into a tree. I would not call Mistah Metro an artistsmile.gif

Whoa! How horrid. He doesn't have the support of the ASPCA eek1.gif

Giving a tat to a dog that's under GA seems pretty harmless to me. But what an ugly, boring, trite tat! Looks like something a 1950's teen might carve into a tree. I would not call Mistah Metro an artistsmile.gif

I was expecting something very beautiful, yes! Disappointed, I was .. :p

Wouldnt a tattoo be sore for a few days after the GA wore off?

Though there are worse things. Not a big deal IMO.

Mine was for sure.

I don't like it either. I would never do it, I find it quite distasteful, but there are def finitely worse things, and if he gives his dog, love, affection, exercise, food, vet care and mental stimulation then that to me is the most important thing.

Edited by raineth

Worst thing is people will see it and think it's "cool" or "trendy" to get their dog tattooed.

That was the reason I posted it - probably should have elaborated a bit, instead of just saying 'what an idiot'..

I imagine it would be sore for a few days.. I remember after having a tattoo on my ribcage, it felt like it was bruised for a few days - and then it got itchy..

Next they will be tattooing kids under GA because they can..

Clearly that tattooist needs practice, poor dog being a live test dummy.

btw

Proof+, that you should never get a tattoo when you're completely out of it. Never know what you'll wake up with. :p

Clearly that tattooist needs practice, poor dog being a live test dummy.

btw

Proof+, that you should never get a tattoo when you're completely out of it. Never know what you'll wake up with. :p

Wonder if the dog will look in the mirror and go " :eek: I wouldn't have chosen that"

Interesting isn't it.

Remove a baby puppy's testicles or ovaries and uterus and animal welfare groups don't bat an eyelid. Indeed, they are the most likely to perform such procedures.

Do something "cosmetic" and the ASPCA weighs in.

I sometimes wonder about if we have the right perspective on things.

What the heck sort of vet would let an owner do that while they were in surgery anyway. Surely that would not be legal here and get the vet into some serious hot water?

I don't know how long it takes to do a tattoo like that one, but I am sure the dog was under anaesthetic unnecessarily long to get it done. Splenectomy is done with the dog on its back; I doubt a vet would let him tattoo the shoulder during the actual surgery (all sorts of sterility issues). So, either the anaesthetic was deliberately prolonged; the tattoo was very quickly done; or the tattooing was performed while the dog was waking up.

I don't like it but, as others have said, not a huge welfare issue in the scheme of things.

I don't like it but, as others have said, not a huge welfare issue in the scheme of things.

I actually disagree. It's the vanity of it all that bothers me. What comes next, doggie earrings for Fluffy? Nose rings for your hipster Frenchie? What if this were to set a precedent and that was the next wave of doggie fashion. You can take your dog to a puppy tattoo parlour and get Rocky a nice big tattoo to make sure everyone knows he's a 'badass'

Why can we not just love our animals as they are and not set a precedent for them further becoming an accessory or a fashion statement.

It's not comparable to desex tattoos or working dog branding which actually serve a purpose, it's just vain and stupid and I would be seriously concerned if it took off.

As for the woman with her 'my dog is cooler than yours' bravado. She sounds like a genius.

Edited by Steph M