Overseas Move With Dog Involved

blakkjackal

We are planning a move to Europe in about 6 months or so and I've started looking into pet transport options. The whole idea of having to fly a dog overseas is kind of terrifying and I'm after any advice really. I'd imagine getting the dog used to the crate beforehand would be good, but how do I go about buying a correct sized and airline approved crate when I'm not even sure yet what airline he's going to be carried on? I saw some crates for sale that were specifically approved for certain airlines only.. Not sure what the policy there is? Recommendations for reasonably priced pet transportation companies? Our budget isn't tiny, but I've heard of some outrageous prices. Obviously the dog's comfort and safety comes first.

Also I don't know if anyone has dealt with shipping a bull breed dog overseas but I have contacted Jetpets and apparently several airlines won't fly bull type dogs (namely amstaffs and amstaff x's), at least not directly to Europe. Qantas recently lifted their amstaff ban though didn't they?

What's the go with transfers, dogs would obviously get out of crate time (I hope so??) but all I can think of is worst case scenarios and what happens if the dog refuses to go back in the crate? frown.gif Am I supposed to provide food? Millions of questions really..

I'm going to be a nervous wreck when we actually fly. :(

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter if the crate is the correct one or not - the dog needs to be used to the confinement, so any crate will do the job.

As for the finer details, you will need to get a transport company to making the bookings and they would be the best ones to ensure you have the right crate, all the right paperwork etc.

We moved from NZ to Australia with three dogs and for that sort of short distance it's really not much of a drama.

Unless I'm mistaken the dog will not be let out of the crate between Australia and the final destination - I know this is certainly the case from the UK to NZ/Australia - unless there is a flight delay and that would be a different sceanario altogether.

Unless I'm mistaken the dog will not be let out of the crate between Australia and the final destination - I know this is certainly the case from the UK to NZ/Australia - unless there is a flight delay and that would be a different sceanario altogether.

I was under this impression too but the quote from Jetpets did include a few breaks during flight transfers and specified that the dog would get "exercise" (whatever that means at an airport...). Since the travel time would definitely exceed 24 hours I'm guessing the dog would get let out but then again I was also pointed out that the crates are sealed on departure -- which makes perfect sense. I don't really know how that would work tbh.

I would be terified about flying a dog to Europe, some years ago I was exporting a dog to the UK and he passed away at the airport in Singapore while he was waiting for a transfer to another plane left on the tarmac for five hours in the heat, he was a French Bulldog, and only a few weeks ago another Frenchie was left on the tarmac in Sydney and passed away, the plane to NZ was delayed and no one, like my poor puppy, gave a thought about putting them in a cool situation, Jet Pets were the carriers in this case, was in the Advertiser last week, in the case of my puppy it was Dogtainers, I now refuse to fly puppies or dogs with any carrier.

No they do not get let out of the crates for the duration of the trip, the crates get sealed by Aqis for a reason.

I can imagine how daunting it must be for you. I flew my dog domestically and was terrified - but it's the anticipation which is the nerve wrecking thing. Your dog will be absolutely fine. A tip for getting your dog used to the crate is to buy the crate at least a month before you leave and put a treat in there daily, then twice daily the week before leaving. My dog was apprehensive to get in the crate to retrieve the treat at first but by the end would jump into the crate to get the treat. Also put your dogs bedding in and an article of your unwashed clothing that you've recently worn before boarding her so your dog will feel more secure.

I would be terified about flying a dog to Europe, some years ago I was exporting a dog to the UK and he passed away at the airport in Singapore while he was waiting for a transfer to another plane left on the tarmac for five hours in the heat, he was a French Bulldog, and only a few weeks ago another Frenchie was left on the tarmac in Sydney and passed away, the plane to NZ was delayed and no one, like my poor puppy, gave a thought about putting them in a cool situation, Jet Pets were the carriers in this case, was in the Advertiser last week, in the case of my puppy it was Dogtainers, I now refuse to fly puppies or dogs with any carrier.

No they do not get let out of the crates for the duration of the trip, the crates get sealed by Aqis for a reason.

How tragic :hug: I have heard of this happening at Singapore with other people too so I guess it is best to try & choose an alternative route than through Singapore if possible & try & choose a cool time.

I thought that once the pup was handed over it was the responsibility of the airline staff that were flying it as the agent used doesn't accompany the dog ?

Which airline was responsible for the dog left at Sydney ?

I thought the staff here in Australia were well trained with animals flying on their planes within the country.

I sent two dogs from Melb to Denmark last week with jetpets.

I supplied my own vari kennel.

They went Melb to Dubai, had a 22 hour stop over and were placed in a dog run for the stop over.

They were then crated up again and flew to Copenhagen.

From the time they left me 9.30am Wed, they arrived Sat 1am.

I dont think I could cope doing it again.

The quote included "comfort stops" which were described like this: "during all of these comfort stops, he comes out of his crate, gets food, more water, exercise and cuddles, so it will break up the flight time a lot for him, and he will be in the care of experienced pet handlers."

As much as I'd like to never have to do this I don't really see another option and I'm trying my hardest to make it as easy as possible for the dog. I know for sure it won't be easy for me regardless. biggrin.gif

Mjosa what a horrible thing to happen. Shouldn't be allowed to happen ever, let alone twice! I can't forget the story about the poor Neo either. :(

I've contacted Dogtainers.

Essentialdog, that's my plan. He isn't crate trained unfortunately, but I'm sure he'll pick it up quick.

Edited by Hockz

Be very sure that Amstaffs are not a banned breed where you are going to as well.

Most pets fly well so long as they are not the sort that worries about noise or strangers. A 5 year old bitch I bred flew to Canada, west coast, via Hawaii and then onto Newfoundland to be with her owners who were working their for a year. She had an overnight stop on the west coast at a kennel before being crated up again and flying across the continent. She bounced out as if she had just been for a car trip. A year later, they all returned and the dog flew home via the same route and then did 30 days quarantine. She was totally fine during the whole ordeal. They rang me before they accepted the jobs to ask how I thought the dog would cope. They had offers from family to mind her for the year but didn't want to go without her and had decided that if I said no, they wouldn't go at all. I told them there are no guarantees and there is always a risk with air travel for dogs and humans but I really couldn't see any reason that the dog would not breeze through it and she did.

Lots of show dogs and dogs owned by service personnel, fly back and forth overseas all the time. For the numbers being transported the problems are very few. Avoiding hot weather is vital but apart from that all should go smoothly.

Be very sure that Amstaffs are not a banned breed where you are going to as well.

Luckily there is no such thing as BSL in my destination country. :)

Thanks for the advice. I wish I could take the rational approach as I do believe you are right about the dog being just fine. laugh.gif

Thanks for the advice. I wish I could take the rational approach as I do believe you are right about the dog being just fine. laugh.gif

Better to voice the concerns now and do the ground work.

It's a big concern for you better addressed than gloss over matters.

When you select flights look at stop over times (and airlines). EG, with an Austrian import coming into NSW, we selected Dubai as the stop over rather than Singapore to reduce flying times.

Crate training will be a big bonus.

I wish you both well for the adventure.

:heart:

Edited by VizslaMomma

I have flown Labradors from the US East Coast to Europe (Germany, travel requiring change of flights) and from Perth to San Francisco. In the latter case, dogs were over-nighted at a kennel in Sydney (JetPets service).

I was a nervous wrech about both. The dogs hardly seemed to notice, though they were very glad to be out of their crates, and on the Europe flight, the dog was very thirsty on arrival.

I confess that mine had quite limited crate training before travel, but they are pretty bomb proof.

I would be a lot more worried about a brachy breed than about a dog with normal breathing. There is a reason that many airlines have banned flying brachy breeds: many individuals in brachy breeds have very low tolerance of heat stress, and fatalities are bad for business. Yes, if you fly in summer, or have a stopover near the equator at any time of the year, heat stress is a real possibility. (Where I live in the US you can't fly your dog if the weather forecast goes above 85F at any point in the day).

I have flown a number of dogs overseas (not brachy breeds) and all have traveled well and arrived in good condition. As others have said, the best thing you can do is crate training and make sure you put the crate where there is lots of noise (eg by the washing machine) and activity because at airports there are lots of strange noises, fork lift trucks and so on. Make lots of noise, move the crate around etc and get your dog used to being in the crate when it is being moved.

I have found that it is not the time in the air that is the stressor, it is the time spent in the freight depot and you can simulate that at home.

I know on domestic flights they don't let you put water in the crate. I'm not sure if the same applies for international (and wouldn't hope not), however a good tip in case they don't allow water on any leg of the journey is to get a bottle of water, freeze it and put it in the crate so your dog can lick the condensation.

I know on domestic flights they don't let you put water in the crate. I'm not sure if the same applies for international (and wouldn't hope not), however a good tip in case they don't allow water on any leg of the journey is to get a bottle of water, freeze it and put it in the crate so your dog can lick the condensation.

Funny you mention this. A friend exporting from Hungary got told not to do that. 1st issue was turbulence might cause the contents to bounce around & hit the dog ( whilst bottle was still frozen.) 2nd was the dog chewing the bottle open & choking on its covering (plastic).