Jogger Attacked By Dogs

samoyedman

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the dogs were on leash, the woman must have jogged extremely close to the dogs for them to make contact. Could she not have given them more space when passing? I don't see much reason to be in leash range of peoples dogs in an open space quite frankly?

If the dogs were on leash, the woman must have jogged extremely close to the dogs for them to make contact. Could she not have given them more space when passing? I don't see much reason to be in leash range of peoples dogs in an open space quite frankly?

I hate it when joggers come up behind me when I'm walking my dogs along the footpath. If I hear them coming I take my dogs to the nature strip and put them in a sit stay until the jogger has passed.

The dog owner should have moved his dogs out of range, presuming the woman was facing the dogs and not coming up behind them. He hasn't done much for the image of responsible dog ownership.

Responsible dog owners take the hit every time a dog attack story hits the press. We get stuck with more rules and regulations about what we're allowed to do and where we're allowed to go with our dogs.

I hope the poor woman has no lasting injuries.

Again, the guy did help her, to her car, gave her his shirt and she said she was OK, so he left..

Some guy called to say it was his dogs and they were greys but the woman still says it was dobes - I think the guy would know what his own dogs are and you would hardly call and admit to it if it wasn't you, right???

I feel sorry for the lady and hope she heals quickly.

Gee, let's give this guy a citizen of the year award. He gave her his tee shirt and walked with her for a bit while she streamed with blood, couldn't open her eye, was shocked, feeling faint, required extenstive stitching. What a hero !!

And let't crucify her because she dared jog near dogs being walked. Deserves all she gets for not bowing to the greater need of dog walkers.

Oh, and let's give the dogs lots of treats because despite anyone having first hand knowledge, they obviously didn't mean it, were only playing. Oh and let's compare bruises from when out dogs were only playing. Lots of fun.

Gee, let's give this guy a citizen of the year award. He gave her his tee shirt and walked with her for a bit while she streamed with blood, couldn't open her eye, was shocked, feeling faint, required extenstive stitching. What a hero !!

And let't crucify her because she dared jog near dogs being walked. Deserves all she gets for not bowing to the greater need of dog walkers.

Oh, and let's give the dogs lots of treats because despite anyone having first hand knowledge, they obviously didn't mean it, were only playing. Oh and let's compare bruises from when out dogs were only playing. Lots of fun.

Somewhere between her side and his side is the truth. I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Obviously I have no idea because I wasn't there, but I am really sceptical that the dog was only playing. It doesn't make sense to me that someone could have a muscle torn in their eye from head butting. I know head butting could really hurt someone, but I just can't see it tearing the skin in the way hers is torn. My feeling is that it was probably a bite, but with the dog inhibiting its bite somewhat rather than biting with full force.

But that's mere speculation of course, as is how close she may have been, whether he saw her coming or not, and all that sort of stuff.

I do find it odd that she wanted him to walk her back, simply because if it was me, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a dog that had done that to me! I suppose that this may suggest the injury was done in play.

I do feel for her though, its a very nasty injury and would have been very terrifying.

It's especially terrifying because instead of biting her leg (joggers will tell you how easy it is to get a bite or nip to the leg) one of these dogs went for her face. It went for her face. She could have lost her eye. She could have had a piece taken out of her face or neck.

That's not excusable as being playful or naughty or a reasonable reaction to someone moving into a dog's personal space. It's also not a case of being two sides of the story. She was defenceless and was attacked in the street.

Somewhere between her side and his side is the truth. I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

I wasn't judging the story, Cody, I was having a go at some of the posters. :mad

I do find it odd that she wanted him to walk her back, simply because if it was me, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a dog that had done that to me! I suppose that this may suggest the injury was done in play.

She could hardly see !!!

It's especially terrifying because instead of biting her leg (joggers will tell you how easy it is to get a bite or nip to the leg) one of these dogs went for her face. It went for her face. She could have lost her eye. She could have had a piece taken out of her face or neck.

That's not excusable as being playful or naughty or a reasonable reaction to someone moving into a dog's personal space. It's also not a case of being two sides of the story. She was defenceless and was attacked in the street.

Thank god, some sense and some realisation of what the poor woman went through and will be going through for a long long time.

I'm just hoping that if they were greys they were green collared because it's hard enough already.....

I hope if they are Greys they weren't green collared. The program is very new in NSW and took a lot to get it in - if a green collared dog (a dog that has passed the test) behaved in this manner it will call the whole program into question, and with the NSW Gov currently investigating adding more breeds to the BSL list it could have serious rammifications.

Well said.

The facts are this regarding dogs IMHO: Given that you can't predict the handler's control or the dog's reactivity levels on approach, my advise for anyone to avoid the pain of a possible attack is to steer around leash range of the dogs in question. Regardless whether or not this dog handler is caught and prosecuted doesn't ease the pain the woman has suffered to her eye and face, but jogging around the dog's leash range would have saved her more than likely. We know that dogs shouldn't be lunging and we know that handler's should have effective control, but if they don't and you don't take preventative measures yourself, these incidents will sadly continue.

Having said that, I can't restrain two GSD's in defence mode effectively, so one person walking two large dogs if something was to happen greatly increases the physical control required to maintain safety.

Aaahhh so here we go, I was waiting for this day. Did these greys come from one of the many dodgy greyhound rescues we have now that just tell people not to muzzle their greys? you know...cause it's cruel? Or did they come from one of the many dodgy greencollar assessors that are assessing dogs with no idea? If it was a trainer I doubt, not sure but doubt he would be walking them unmuzzled and if they are worth anything I'm sure as s**t he wouldn't be contacting anyone to risk them being PTS.

To my knowledge, happy to be corrected, there is no recorded attacks by greyhounds to date. Owning them myself, fostering and knowing many others who own them including trainers I've never heard of one biting let alone two BUT they could easily do that damage with their feet. They have feet that are designed to run at 70k's an hour so they can definitely do damage. If these dogs were unmuzzled through sheer stupidity, be it a rescue group, trainer or some do gooder that thinks it's "not fair" they are muzzled this will definitely be a backward step for greyhounds as pets.

There goes my grand statement that at least greyhounds don't get confused with other breeds...brown dobes? Greys do come in Dun but they are quite rare so I doubt this guy had two. The only way I can think she may have gotten confused is that the greys were black with a heavy kennel coat which is brownish.

Aaahhh so here we go, I was waiting for this day. Did these greys come from one of the many dodgy greyhound rescues we have now that just tell people not to muzzle their greys? you know...cause it's cruel? Or did they come from one of the many dodgy greencollar assessors that are assessing dogs with no idea? If it was a trainer I doubt, not sure but doubt he would be walking them unmuzzled and if they are worth anything I'm sure as s**t he wouldn't be contacting anyone to risk them being PTS.

To my knowledge, happy to be corrected, there is no recorded attacks by greyhounds to date. Owning them myself, fostering and knowing many others who own them including trainers I've never heard of one biting let alone two BUT they could easily do that damage with their feet. They have feet that are designed to run at 70k's an hour so they can definitely do damage. If these dogs were unmuzzled through sheer stupidity, be it a rescue group, trainer or some do gooder that thinks it's "not fair" they are muzzled this will definitely be a backward step for greyhounds as pets.

There goes my grand statement that at least greyhounds don't get confused with other breeds...brown dobes? Greys do come in Dun but they are quite rare so I doubt this guy had two. The only way I can think she may have gotten confused is that the greys were black with a heavy kennel coat which is brownish.

Same. Sadly, it was inevitable when some of the greyhound "rescue" groups will rehome anything with a pulse.

I've never heard any verifiable instance of greyhounds being human aggressive. I have heard of people being accidentally bitten when a greyhound has gone for a small dog but accidental is accidental. To bite at a person's face is definitely unusual and the sort of thing that should have been picked up on a temperament test. Assuming one was done. And done properly. I had a whole bunch of I-told-you-so's lined up for when this finally happened but.. there's no satisfaction in seeing the breed I love set up for major and very public vilification.

Regarding coat, heavy kennel coat would be my guess. I had vet nurses try to list some of my fosters as brown so it's an easy mistake to make for anyone who doesn't know the breed.

The facts are this regarding dogs IMHO: Given that you can't predict the handler's control or the dog's reactivity levels on approach, my advise for anyone to avoid the pain of a possible attack is to steer around leash range of the dogs in question. Regardless whether or not this dog handler is caught and prosecuted doesn't ease the pain the woman has suffered to her eye and face, but jogging around the dog's leash range would have saved her more than likely. We know that dogs shouldn't be lunging and we know that handler's should have effective control, but if they don't and you don't take preventative measures yourself, these incidents will sadly continue.

Having said that, I can't restrain two GSD's in defence mode effectively, so one person walking two large dogs if something was to happen greatly increases the physical control required to maintain safety.

She is the only victim in this story and it was not her fault.

When an owner knows they can't control their dogs, they are the ones who should be taking these 'preventative measures' you speak of. Expecting people to run in wide circles around every dog they pass just in case they get bitten is ridiculous.

Hazywal, I was wondering the same thing myself.

When an owner knows they can't control their dogs, they are the ones who should be taking these 'preventative measures' you speak of. Expecting people to run in wide circles around every dog they pass just in case they get bitten is ridiculous.

100% correct Powerlegs she is the only victim, you simply can't have large dogs and not be able to control them. My two don't really take much notice of people walking past them but I take them off footpaths to let people walk past, some people are just downright scared of them, probably because I'm one of those rare people that muzzle them. I don't care if people are walking, jogging or skipping down the path DON'T let your dogs get within cooee of them, be bloody responsible, if for nothing else but the safety of your own dogs.

Yep Maddy we knew it would happen it was just a matter of when :(

And this.

Greyhounds might be big dogs but they aren't actually all that strong when it comes to pulling on the lead. Stepping out of lunging range and giving the dogs a short lead would likely have prevented the bites. I've had a male grey who was almost 39kg in fit condition (the boy was a ball of muscle) and I could control him with one hand and minimal effort- and I'm definitely not strong. It's all just a matter of restricting ability to jump forward suddenly (which is something they are good at). If the owner didn't understand this about greyhounds, he shouldn't have been walking one, let alone two.

Whatever the case, the owner of the dogs is at fault for his management and whoever he got the dogs from is equally at fault for rehoming greyhounds with such amazingly bad temperaments.

I'm just hoping that if they were greys they were green collared because it's hard enough already.....

I hope if they are Greys they weren't green collared. The program is very new in NSW and took a lot to get it in - if a green collared dog (a dog that has passed the test) behaved in this manner it will call the whole program into question, and with the NSW Gov currently investigating adding more breeds to the BSL list it could have serious rammifications.

I hope they weren't green collared either.

I've known a couple of greys who have bitten and heard of others. They are out there.