Jealousy How To Deal With It

Seems George has decided that we are all his and took a bite at my greyhound. She is fine no damage done she was just scared but any suggestions so this doesnt happen again? He was near me and she walked over to say hi and he gave her a bite on the face. There was no food or treats involved. She walked off and he seemed very happy about that. I put her in my daughters room as thats where she sleeps and him in my room.

Yep, get a decent behavioural trainer to visit and advise.

The advice you might get here without someone actually seeing the dogs will be worth precisely what you've paid for it.

Resource guarding can be quite serious and I'd be wanting to nip in in the bud. You need someone who can assess what's going on before giving advice.

I second the suggestion of a professional behaviourist visit... you can never be too careful with a dog you really don't know all that well yet.

In the meantime keep George separate from anyone or anything he may nip for getting too close to the object of his desire - that means other dogs, your kids, etc...

T.

George is a rescue/foster?

Okay, why is your dog paying a price for his behaviour? She's being segregated due to no fault of her own?

My advice stands but get George into a crate and let your dog live her normal life. Sorry, but I don't think its fair that the resident dog pays the price for a new dog's uncertain behaviour.

If you don't have a crate, then its high time you got one. You can switch dogs around a bit to ensure George gets time with people too. But I know where my priority would be.

Now you definitely have to get a knowledgeable and experienced view of this dog. Resource guarding can be a very dangerous behaviour and you're going to have to think good and hard about how or when you rehome him. He's already had one reinforcement that it works in your home.

You probably already know this but smooth coated sighthounds are very vulnerable to bites - no body fat or hair to protect them. I'd be very unhappy with what you've seen.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

HW - as you said, we have no idea about what happened. Sometimes a dog coming over to say "hi " isn't coming over to say hi at all - it can be a way of dominating a dog. A professional needs to witness their interactions and come up with a plan - this might not be resource guarding at all.

It is not uncommon for Belgian Shepherds, particularly males, to be better off as 'solo' dogs......They are a guardian breed & he is bonding to you. George is not a young dog, you do not know his history - he may always have lived as an only dog. You say that he is sleeping in your room & the greyhound in your daughter's room......well then, he thinks you are his! You are inadvertently exacerbating the situation. Do not underestimate the intelligence of this breed, they need firmness & consistency, this does not mean harshness, but without some serious leadership the breed can be wilful & will take matters into their own hands.

My Groenendael girl is comfortable in her pack which comprises males however she has no interest in other dogs at all & does not seek interaction with individuals outside of her pack. She will growl if a strange dog crosses the threshold of her comfort zone, about 1 metre. I know that you foster so I wanted to mention this, as not all dogs are comfortable with dogs coming & going ..... There are a lot of things to consider if you are intent on keeping George :)

Well said Trifecta (not that I know anything about Belgians), but I was thinking about the fact that George sleeps in HC's room and that he is obviously becoming very comfortable in his new home :) .

I have a dog who growls and carries on as though his is extremely displeased, but it is because he is getting old and a bit grumpy. Sadly, no one takes any notice of his carry on, poor boy :laugh: . The girls just ignore him or give him a bit of lick; when he was a newcomer, Bunter didn't know how to take it, but now he just ignores Danny too.

Hopefully, this is just a one off, HC and all will settle down into a comfortable household.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

It will not be a one off, if allowed to escalate. Belgians can be very manipulative, so Happy Camper has to lay down some rules. It was extremely likely to happen. The poor dog was left behind at a property when his owner's moved out. I believe he was alone for three weeks? Then he is welcomed into a home & showered with love & attention, no wonder he does not want to share! I am not saying the dog does not need to be properly assessed, but some good dog sense, researching the breed & putting yourself in George's shoes (paws), will go along way in creating harmony amongst pack members.

Edited by trifecta

It will not be a one off, if allowed to escalate. Belgians can be very manipulative, so Happy Camper has to lay down some rules. It was extremely likely to happen. The poor dog was left behind at a property when his owner's moved out. I believe he was alone for three weeks? Then he is welcomed into a home & showered with love & attention, no wonder he does not want to share! I am not saying the dog does not need to be properly assessed, but some good dog sense, researching the breed & putting yourself in George's shoes (paws), will go along way in creating harmony amongst pack members.

yes! :thumbsup: gorgeous george needs rehab :)

I cannot offer any advice as I do not know George or the OP. But this also happened with one of my Groen girls when I started competetive obedience with her, which she loved.

She had always lived very harmoniously with the other dogs, but she started guarding me from the Borzoi when they came up for a cuddle. First time it happened I was taken by suprise, growled at her and got up and walked away. The second time I had had time to think it through, and I quietly got up, led her outside, and shut her out there. After a few minutes I let her back in, she repeated the growl so I put her out again - no fussing, just that the behaviour saw her exiled. Let her back in and no more problem that day. She tried it again a few weeks later, I only had to exile her once that time for her to realise it wasn't going to work and she never repeated the behaviour. So it actually turned out to be really easy to fix.

I reiterate that I am not offering advice. I had had all the dogs from youngsters and had great confidence in the underlying stability of their temperaments. To me, she was just trying it on and I needed to show her it wasn't going to get her what she wanted, quite the opposite in fact. I also knew she wasn't going to hurt the 'zoi, they could have flattened her if they wanted to, but instead they just looked at her in utter disdain at such bad manners, bless them.

One thing I found with Belgians, they can be quite intense and very smart, you do kinda have to be smart managers of them too. I won't get another until I retire, the Borzoi are so laid back by comparison I stick with them for now. But I still think they are amazing dogs and I will have another one day.

Edited by Diva

I should point out that Sophie the greyhound has always slept with my daughter she is actually her dog so she is generally 100% with my daughter, her life hasn't changed because of George. I know I didn't mention that before but probably should. Someone said that sometimes coming up to say hi could be something different and your right it happened so quick that I didn't even notice how Sophie approached. Ill call a behaviorist and see how we go.

She had always lived very harmoniously with the other dogs, but she started guarding me from the Borzoi when they came up for a cuddle. First time it happened I was taken by suprise, growled at her and got up and walked away. The second time I had had time to think it through, and I quietly got up, led her outside, and shut her out there. After a few minutes I let her back in, she repeated the growl so I put her out again - no fussing, just that the behaviour saw her exiled. Let her back in and no more problem that day. She tried it again a few weeks later, I only had to exile her once that time for her to realise it wasn't going to work and she never repeated the behaviour. So it actually turned out to be really easy to fix.

I think the words I've stressed are just so important. Some people go into a panic and, of course, this transmits to the dog.

It will not be a one off, if allowed to escalate. Belgians can be very manipulative, so Happy Camper has to lay down some rules.

Yes, yes and yes. Don't goo goo him or he will walk all over you. You need to be firm but calm with them, don't give an inch or they they don't just take a mile they book a round the world trip :laugh: oh but they seem so meek and quiet at times.

The snapping and also prodding with the nose sharply is belgian. They're as fast as lightening but you see it brewing subtly in the face. Tell them to rack off from the situation if they try and pull crap like that around you or other dogs. Put him in his crate and that's that.

Lovely dogs though :p

It will not be a one off, if allowed to escalate. Belgians can be very manipulative, so Happy Camper has to lay down some rules.

Yes, yes and yes. Don't goo goo him or he will walk all over you. You need to be firm but calm with them, don't give an inch or they they don't just take a mile they book a round the world trip :laugh: oh but they seem so meek and quiet at times.

The snapping and also prodding with the nose sharply is belgian. They're as fast as lightening but you see it brewing subtly in the face. Tell them to rack off from the situation if they try and pull crap like that around you or other dogs. Put him in his crate and that's that.

Lovely dogs though :p

Yup he has tried to break the rules a few times he knows he isnt allowed on the bed unless invited and you can see him thinking about it but once he sees you give him the look he backs up but not after trying to sneek up when he thinks you are not paying attention. Very smart dogs but can see where they could run a household in no time if allowed.

What about putting a soft muzzle on him when he is with your dog.

I had a little one here with me short term & she did the same when my dogs came near me on the lounge. Told her NO & put her out a few times & she got the message.

She was fine with the other dogs until I sat on that lounge.

Hopefully you it can be fixed. Not a nice thing for your dog at all.

Yup he has tried to break the rules a few times he knows he isnt allowed on the bed unless invited and you can see him thinking about it but once he sees you give him the look he backs up but not after trying to sneek up when he thinks you are not paying attention. Very smart dogs but can see where they could run a household in no time if allowed.

Manipulative aren't they. If you want to interact with another dog send him on his way, don't be afraid to be stern. Try having 4 at once ... all wanting a pat at the same time ...