What's The Worst Reaction Somebody Has Had To You Dog?

dididog

I get many people for cultural/health/personal reasons don't like dogs or are afraid of them which I totally get and respect and as a result make sure Didi is never able to touch somebody unless they initiate it when we are in public and generally try to stay as far away from other people as possible.

My area is really dense with immigrants and international students though and almost every time I take Didi on a walk I get some sort of reaction, some quite intense and potentially damaging for Didi. So I was wondering what's the worst reaction somebody has had to your dog in public?

Mine's a toss up between two that happened on my main street. One was the woman three days ago who scooped all three of her children up and squished them up against a wall with her back to me, shielding them from my dumb puppy who I was walking as far as possible away from them whilst yelling that my dog was scaring her children. Which I would find understandable if all of her kids hadn't been giggling and constantly turning around and going look at the doggy! with smiles on their faces as we had approached them. Luckily Didi didn't seem to phased by it all. The next was on the same street on a Sunday afternoon, walking on a really wide pavement (the really wide ones on shopping strips where cafes can fit outdoor furniture)and a group of 3 mothers and their 4 kids took up the whole pavement and could see me coming from ages away. I stopped a few metres away because there was no room to get past and their kids were running around when a little boy ran up going 'doggy doggy doggy' and laughing. I had Didi behind me and said he probably shouldn't pat her as she is a bit scared of little kids but he reached out to pat her anyway and at that exact moment all 3 mothers started screaming at me/the dog/the kid??? I'm not sure what they were saying but the screaming freaked Didi out to the point my pretty unflappable, 30kg puppy tried to jump into my arms which made them scream even more and the whole thing was rather melodramatic especially as they had taken up the entire walkway and let their child run up to my dog before deciding they didn't want their kid patting her. A heads up would've been nice or you know after the incident moving over so I could get past you instead of continuing to take up the whole walkway!

In both of these cases the mothers were African immigrants and of Islamic faith so I totally understand the reactions, just makes me a bit sad as in both cases you could tell that the children were curious and amused by the dog, one of them even wanting to pat her but will probably have this fondness for dogs stamped out of them over time.

Sorry just a bit of a vent more than anything as I can't change people's perceptions on dogs and do not wish to but I wish they could tone down their reactions as it makes everything worse. Since the incident with the child Didi has been very spooky around children which upsets me since she did nothing wrong :(

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also on that note, anybody have ideas on how to get Didi less freaked out by kids? She's never been exposed to them much as I literally know no kids and all of the kids in my street also have mothers who would react similarly but for the most part just remained indifferent/curious of them until now. I've noticed quite a few kids hanging around obedience class so I was thinking of starting there as they are more likely to be dog savvy and just ask if they can feed her some treats and eventually work up to patting her and whatnot.

Yep get horrible reactions regularly ( i have Stafford's ) from similar to you to a person telling me i owned baby killers and they should be shot immediately.

African immigrants and of Islamic faith

Out of curiosity what has this ^ got to do with it?

Edited by Rainy

Yep get horrible reactions regularly ( i have staffords) from similar to you to a person telling me i owned baby killers and they should be shot immediately.

African immigrants and of Islamic faith

Out of curiosity what has this ^ got to do with it?

Obviously a generalisation as I have a Muslim friend who also loves dogs but many are often not accustom to dogs as pets and come from countries where they are more commonly strays/working dogs and therefore seen as unhygenic or dangerous. There is also a stipulation in the Quran that if a dog were to lick you you must clean the area 7 times (something along those lines at least) and I believe there is something else about dogs being kept for reasons other than work and service being a negative thing. This is just something I've heard my Muslim friends tell me when I've asked why. Most of the immigrants in my area have moved here relatively recently and so are not used to seeing pet dogs so I am more than understanding of why they react the way they do. Conversely I am sure their are plenty of Muslims who love dogs and plenty of non-Muslims who hate dogs, I'm just considering the factors that may be the reason.

Edited by Terri S.

Have you ever check the Quran about the comments regarding dogs being dirty?

I would suggest you do.

I'm not claiming to be an expert here nor claiming I have read the Quran and am more than willing to be corrected. My understanding is vague and is from what I have been told by my friends who pactice Islam and read the Quran. I have also heard Muslim people tell me or others to move their dogs or refuse to sit near one because it 'is dirty' so even if it is not stated expressly in the Quran that they are dirty it is clearly a common misconception not just by Westerners but people of Islamic faith too.

I was just acknowledging that their were potentially some cultural factors to do with why both mothers had such an extreme reaction and hence why I understood and didn't make a big deal.

Edited by Terri S.

We had some kids next door knock on the door to ask if they could have their ball back, I said sure I'll go get it just as Mosley walked up beside me. The kids took one look at him and bolted back hoime :laugh:I threw their ball back over of course :laugh:

siiigh. I'm gathering by the 'white' comment that you're implying I was making a big deal about race. I am sorry if it appeared that way, I don't think it is racist to acknowledge cultural differences often have something to do with how people approach dogs nor was I condemning it in any way...

At a local dog park my tibbie x boy (so small fluffy) was sniffing the bushes around the edge of the ground (we were walking around the park as it was quite busy). A group of young 20 something's walked through from the local Tafe. A Japanese girl (I only say this to explain why she didn't understand what I said/the area) looked down, Chewy looked up, then she started screaming and waving her arms whilst jumping up and down. The poor thing was petrified. Chewy ran straight back to me (as startled as she was) and I picked him up but approached her just to try and explain it was a dog park and there were lots of dogs in the direction she was going. Unfortunately I was too late as the screaming/jumping had attracted a lot of the more excitable dogs in the park who had run up barking.. The people with her grabbed her and got her out of the park whilst I shoo'd away the dogs I could and called their owners to get them.

It was over quickly and nothing actually happened but it made me realise how extreme some peoples fears are - and how it can put them at risk : /

At a local dog park my tibbie x boy (so small fluffy) was sniffing the bushes around the edge of the ground (we were walking around the park as it was quite busy). A group of young 20 something's walked through from the local Tafe. A Japanese girl (I only say this to explain why she didn't understand what I said/the area) looked down, Chewy looked up, then she started screaming and waving her arms whilst jumping up and down. The poor thing was petrified. Chewy ran straight back to me (as startled as she was) and I picked him up but approached her just to try and explain it was a dog park and there were lots of dogs in the direction she was going. Unfortunately I was too late as the screaming/jumping had attracted a lot of the more excitable dogs in the park who had run up barking.. The people with her grabbed her and got her out of the park whilst I shoo'd away the dogs I could and called their owners to get them.

It was over quickly and nothing actually happened but it made me realise how extreme some peoples fears are - and how it can put them at risk : /

With Didi I understand she is big and black and therefore intimidating so I don't blame people for being scared as they all have their reasons for being so but it's definitely the way they react that makes everything so much worse! It's really hard to assure someone my dog is friendly when she is backing away in fear from somebody screaming or running away.

Yep, I used to have GSD's and I walk a lot of bully breeds for the shelter I vollie at and am very aware of keeping distance. Usually I put the dog in a sit somewhere to the edge (where we aren't penned in so can cross the road if we need) and feed lots of treats, regardless of the peoples reactions. That way they are getting positive reinforcement for people walking past in all sorts of strange ways (friendly, screaming lol). It is so annoying when parents let kids run up to strange dogs :(

I also have a JRT x and the reaction towards her has surprised me (oh those dogs are vicious, aren't they?! Um, no?!)

Actually once someone kicked my dog. She didnt react but he kicked her square in the hind, he was lucky he kicked the non reactive one. Rather random. Or do I just attract nutters?

Wtf?! I hope you kicked him in the hind....

I don't think anything would make me angrier than somebody hurting my dog!

Haven't had any horrible reactions, just one that sticks out was a woman who had a fear of dogs. I was at the shops with mine dressed up in Christmas gear. She came and sat next to me and the dog and smiled and just said "I have a fear of dogs, I don't want to pat yours, but I think he looks cute". She was sitting about half a meter away from him just smiling to herself. Scout ignored her [didn't go to her for his normal give me lots of pats].

We haven't really had any terrible reactions to our dogs..

The worst has probably been a guy who death stared and muttered something at us when Dozer was trying to go in his direction to get a pat while we were on a walk (Dozer never got close to him and was quickly back by my partners side).

We usually get the exact opposite reaction from people with Dozer, even though he's over 30 kilos now and is losing his puppy face people just seem to fawn over him. We nicknamed him Mr Charisma for a reason :rasberry: