Kill List Frustrations

This is more of a vent than anything but maybe someone else has experienced this.

With all these "kill lists" and "save them before they die" I am getting a bit frustrated. I had been talking to someone back and forth about adopting a dog from me we were getting further and further into adoption I just had to get the home check done and we would have had a dog in a new home. I spend hours telling these people about the dogs I have here and sorting through the ones that would work out for their family only to be told that they had gotten a dog and were picking it up soon from the vet. I thanked them for letting me know and asked why they decided to go against the dog they had decided on here. They told me its because they found a dog on facebook that was going to die if it wasnt adopted they were looking for a kelpie or cattle dog but instead adopted a staffy cross. :cry:

Another lady was interested in a dog that was due to be put to sleep once he got rescue back up on him she no longer wanted the dog because it was safe and not going to die. I dont understand its the same dog, he is still homeless so why now is he not worthy of a home just because he has rescue back up?

It seems to me that people are impulse buying the "kill list" dogs and the dogs safe in rescue who are going to be carefully placed are just nor moving on or is it just my imagination?

Edited by HappyCamper

I'd be more worried about the mentality of those deciding to buy a dog from the pound because of those reasons - rather than getting a dog carefully matched to them and their lifestyle by a reputable rescue or a registered breeder.

It will only end in tears, and I'm betting they'll be contacting YOU to take the dog off their hands when it doesn't work out...

T.

Those ads don't sit quite right with me either. I always feel like people might just get a dog out of pity and forget to choose a dog that is actually right for them, which might eventually lead to the dog being returned and ending up homeless again. But then I don't know if that's better or worse than being PTS because their time is up :(

But I suppose if someone backs out of adopting a dog that does have a rescue back up, they probably wouldn't have been a good fit anyway.

I've had more enquiries for a dog thrown over the pound fence, than one that was surrendered. It strokes peoples' egos thinking they are saving an animal. Lord knows there are enough of them in rescue, so I don't see why the general public shoud be any different.

I see ads like this on Gumtree a lot at the moment ... SAVE ME - due to die 3pm Tuesday

So wrong. Petrescue have actually disallowed this type of language in their ads.

I find people generally very fickle and flaky. Two enquiries I recently turned down for having no fencing had told me they were keen to "rescue" a dog. The minute they were turned down by me they both said they'd just go to the petshop.

I urged one lady to reconsider due to the origin of petshop pups and gave her some alternative suggestions to that - something that is the worst option of all.

Did she give a crap? No, she just wanted the quickest, closest and easiest solution ....

My rescue also had someone apply for a pair of very mature dogs recently (11 and 13 years), completed an application form but the very next day - before I made my call - they got a puppy.

I find that to be very flaky.

Yes, it is sad, strange, maybe fickle and flakey, but it all very well for those of us who have been involved in pounds and rescuing and fostering dogs for yonks to sit in judgement of the general public. They just don't know. And why or how should they? Not everyone goes in for hours/days/weeks of research before they buy something.

:shrug:

ETA: It seems to me that for many people a dog is a dog is a dog. You want a dog? Go to the pound, pet shop, breeder. Yep, like the look of that one.

Yes, many of us can see the perils and pitfalls, but for most people that is how it works.

If you care, you just plod on trying to educate and make a difference, person by person.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Yes, it is sad, strange, maybe fickle and flakey, but it all very well for those of us who have been involved in pounds and rescuing and fostering dogs for yonks to sit in judgement of the general public. They just don't know. And why or how should they? Not everyone goes in for hours/days/weeks of research before they buy something.

:shrug:

ETA: It seems to me that for many people a dog is a dog is a dog. You want a dog? Go to the pound, pet shop, breeder. Yep, like the look of that one.

Yes, many of us can see the perils and pitfalls, but for most people that is how it works.

If you care, you just plod on trying to educate and make a difference, person by person.

I am not upset with the people so much as frustrated with the way dogs in rescue siting waiting for a home get passed up just because a dog is advertised as will be killed. Especially when the dog they got came from a pound that only put to sleep dogs when they are over full and keep dogs for months on end and I don't think they have put down any rehomable dogs in years but I could be wrong about that bit. Sorry just a vent.

Sometimes if I wonder if I worded my blurbs on my dogs with CAPS LIKE THIS AND LOTS OF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would they get more attention

I have always had an issue with dogs on facebook with the heading "this dog will die tomorrow" and you see all the replies like "oh come on people save this dog it looks so sweet" :eek: :eek: this is all over PR fb page and people then say I will go in tomorrow and pick the dog up I can foster the dog etc etc I go cold when I see this.

Maree

CPR

I've had more enquiries for a dog thrown over the pound fence, than one that was surrendered. It strokes peoples' egos thinking they are saving an animal. Lord knows there are enough of them in rescue, so I don't see why the general public shoud be any different.

This! ^

Once a dog has rescue and is in foster care (IMO) the emphasis needs to shift from their background (no matter how terrible) to their new positive future.

Focus on the great qualities the dog has to offer, what training they have learnt, quirky or funny personality traits etc.

All dogs are individual in nature, temp, makeup and personality. Allow them to shine :)

Well it really is two different types of "rescue" and two different types of buyer.

Some rescues will ensure any dog going home is suitable for a family and the family is suitable for the dog - they will do all that is required to achieve that goal and offer support etc into the future. The type of buyer they will therefore attract are those who care about such things and who want to know any dog they bring in will suit them and their lifestyle - where the assessment and potential risks of taking an older dog into their home is limited because of the work done by the rescue group or person. The other is more motivated and interested in feeling good about saving a dog from being killed and hopefully they are prepared to take the dog as is and do what ever is required to live happily ever after with it..

"Rescue" needs to identify how they will operate and who their target market is - rather than getting mad about those who are not as concerned about assessments and what goes with it and what they do to attract their customers. They need to market what they do so people in the public know the difference and are better able to understand the potential impact.So they attract the type of people who are most suited to their product. But you will always have some rescue which are only concerned about saving a dog from death and some rescue who feel that there are other things which should be taken into the mix. Some people who will take a dog as is in order to keep it alive others who feel that they want to cover other things.

Personally I think there needs to be a change of terminology to better identify the differences - so rescue really does mean saving them from death and its urgent and where they have already been saved from death and are now looking for their new homes. different management, different marketing and different fundraising because they really are vastly different and the public need to be aware of that.

People are becoming more aware generally. The people I mentioned in my post above were well aware of where petshop puppies came from and said that is why they wanted to rescue a dog but then, having made 1 attempt and been turned down quickly reverted to getting the puppy from the closest source that asked no questions.

Yesterday my 7 yr old Toy Poodle foster that I rescued 3 months ago went to a new home (having turned down lots of unsuitable homes). A lovely home that was perfect for her. They said to me "I imagine this means you can go and save another dog now?"

There is so much information out there, we have the internet, media coverage and so on. I really find it very hard to believe anyone that either says they have no idea about the origins of petshop puppies or they believe the bulls--t put out by the marketers who work for the petshops who say they get their dogs from good registered breeders ....

We live in a society of instant gratification. I see it, I want it and I must have it. I'll apply for that dog even if I'm just about to go on a month's holiday, haven't checked with my landlord/partner that it's ok to have a dog, am about to move house and so on.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

People are becoming more aware generally. The people I mentioned in my post above were well aware of where petshop puppies came from and said that is why they wanted to rescue a dog but then, having made 1 attempt and been turned down quickly reverted to getting the puppy from the closest source that asked no questions.

Yesterday my 7 yr old Toy Poodle foster that I rescued 3 months ago went to a new home (having turned down lots of unsuitable homes). A lovely home that was perfect for her. They said to me "I imagine this means you can go and save another dog now?"

There is so much information out there, we have the internet, media coverage and so on. I really find it very hard to believe anyone that either says they have no idea about the origins of petshop puppies or they believe the bulls--t put out by the marketers who work for the petshops who say they get their dogs from good registered breeders ....

We live in a society of instant gratification. I see it, I want it and I must have it. I'll apply for that dog even if I'm just about to go on a month's holiday, haven't checked with my landlord/partner that it's ok to have a dog, am about to move house and so on.

Agreed but there is also an element of "I am a grown up- I will decide what is best for my family and I will choose a dog that I want" The concept of anyone pointing out that there is more to it just wont wash with them. So the minute you introduce any type of system where you are assessing whether someone is suited to owning a breed or a dog immediately you know that some are not going to play. Its the ones that will and who get it all who are your target market if that is what you place importance on. There will always be ways of getting a dog which places the dog and the family at high risk and there will always be someone lining up to take them.

Another Rant!!!!!!!

I know a guy that has been looking for a small dog as a companion....but has unable to find one locally...He has tried AWl rspca which have them interstate....when he applies...he has to go in person......some 700kms each way

He only yesterday told me that he has given up faith in so called rescue groups or pound...doggierescue etc.........he is a pensioner and would rather have an animal than spending all the money on his transport....

Another Rant!!!!!!!

I know a guy that has been looking for a small dog as a companion....but has unable to find one locally...He has tried AWl rspca which have them interstate....when he applies...he has to go in person......some 700kms each way

He only yesterday told me that he has given up faith in so called rescue groups or pound...doggierescue etc.........he is a pensioner and would rather have an animal than spending all the money on his transport....

Not sure who you are but DOL is a place for sharing experience - I'm sharing mine - hardly ranting - it's borne from a great deal of hard work and expense. The poodle for instance, actually cost me well over $700 but was rehomed for $425. Where did the extra money come? Out of my pocket of course but I've done this many times before and will do so again, all in the name of helping a dog in need and finding a great home.

Your friend may be applying to the wrong places although I do understand why rescue groups insist on someone meeting a dog. Also, why should a small rescue group pay for transport to his location? If he'd like a cheaper dog I'd recommend he looks in the newspaper or Gumtree. You can probably help him with that?

Czzzy there's plenty of people in rescue who will ship a dog sight unseen to a home they don't know as long as the buyer pays for transport. If he wants to take a gamble like that then he just needs to keep looking.