Pop Up Adoption Shop

casowner

The volunteers had protestors there this morning not allowing them to enter and harassing them so I called the Police but they dispersed before they got here, Channel 9 is there now doing an interview some people should be ashamed of themselves and they should educate themselves rather than behave like this. After some threats on FB last night we are pretty sure they are from another rescue group, how appalling

If it is another rescue group they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, and reconsider both their motivations in doing rescue and in fact their participation in rescue altogether. I think the pop up cat cafe is a brilliant idea and you deserve lots of pats on the back for making such a clever concept work. If another rescue group is trying to block you rehoming cats, they're not a rescue group, they're just a lot of bloody-minded, sanctimonious dills. Poor cats already have enough issues without some nitwits getting their idiot jollies by trying to stop a successful and innovative idea. And now I'll stop before I say what I really think. :laugh:

LOL Aphra you were verbalising my feelings exactly :laugh:

I said to my friends that when I got the call I did three things curse, call the Police and contact the media and the younger, more reactionary me would have cursed, drove down and cursed even louder but the only reason that I am doing it is for the animals and for that reason I behaved myself. 94 cats adopted in the last 14 days as of today

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black cats are notoriously hard to place so on in June we are holding a Friday the 13th black cat only Adoption night

This is one of the coolest ideas I've ever heard :D

What fun :thumbsup:

It's something I've never really been able to understand , but I guess from what I've read here on DOL, black dogs and black cats do suffer for their beauty LOL.

Whilst I am fully aware the ghastly history of cats, particularly black ones, being associated with witches, it is heard to believe that superstition plays any role in decisions today, but I suppose it must :shrug:.

I have diarised the date so I can remember to check how you are going.

It will be a busy night as Variety have rung us and asked to use all of our Ghost Train and horror props as they are holding their annual ball with a Friday the 13th Halloween style theme, they are going to give us some of the props they make and deliver them all back to the new house

This is a brilliant initiative and something that we are actively seeking to do in our Sunbury store (no cafe I'm afraid, but a pop up adoption centre). It is heartening to see what the response has been for you Casowner, as cats are often forgotten. We would want to provide a space for both dogs and cats though, perhaps at different times.

Good on you for your level headed approach to the protesters!

Sags

:)

The volunteers had protestors there this morning not allowing them to enter and harassing them so I called the Police but they dispersed before they got here, Channel 9 is there now doing an interview some people should be ashamed of themselves and they should educate themselves rather than behave like this. After some threats on FB last night we are pretty sure they are from another rescue group, how appalling

If it is another rescue group they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, and reconsider both their motivations in doing rescue and in fact their participation in rescue altogether. I think the pop up cat cafe is a brilliant idea and you deserve lots of pats on the back for making such a clever concept work. If another rescue group is trying to block you rehoming cats, they're not a rescue group, they're just a lot of bloody-minded, sanctimonious dills. Poor cats already have enough issues without some nitwits getting their idiot jollies by trying to stop a successful and innovative idea. And now I'll stop before I say what I really think. :laugh:

I know Im getting old but what are they protesting about ?

If you have the resources to fund and continue this great idea then what's the harm. Just because you are able to bring the cats to the public and allow the general public tome, greet and potentially adopt, doesn't mean that you are going to be any less stringent in the rehoming process.

They have adoption shops with dogs here monthly too but when people ask my staff about wanting a dog or puppy they are referred to DogSA and rescue, first and foremost they need to research. I have offered breed clubs the space to come and do pop up breed shops but none have been interested.

The biggest issue is the other private rescues complaining that their cats are being overlooked. Some have even posted rants on public fb pages one even called the P&C director a fat c%$t, they are disgraceful and only damage the name of rescue

It is because the adult cats are free to approved homes, he adoption process is exactly the same. Many SA private rescues keep the cats stacked in crates or in aviaries long term. P&C use foster homes and use the adoption shops as a location fortnightly but also do visits

Edited by casowner

It is because the adult cats are free to approved homes

There is more than one study showing that 'free' animals are no less valued than animals that have cost. But these ridiculous groups prefer to rely on their feels rather than what the data shows.

Absolutely ridiculous. :mad

As of yesterday they have come to an agreement with the landlord to make it permanent! The bottom section will be cat Boarding which is great as it is close to the city and the top will be for the Cat Cafe so the boarding will help fund the rescues. We have to undertake a huge fundraising campaign to get the facility set up including perspex partitions for the cats free range areas so people will have a choice whether they want to have their coffee with or without the cats. All cats are fully vetted before going there and the building is huge 700sqm

They will be having a bbq there this weekend

Edited by casowner

That's excellent! It's a great concept and I love the idea of joining rescue with the social enterprise movement. Well done to you all.

As of yesterday they have come to an agreement with the landlord to make it permanent! The bottom section will be cat Boarding which is great as it is close to the city and the top will be for the Cat Cafe so the boarding will help fund the rescues. We have to undertake a huge fundraising campaign to get the facility set up including perspex partitions for the cats free range areas so people will have a choice whether they want to have their coffee with or without the cats. All cats are fully vetted before going there and the building is huge 700sqm

They will be having a bbq there this weekend

Well we are adopting a new cat today, my cat disliking OH has become taken with Nim a British with pedigree papers, the boys are very excited

post-23033-0-89122400-1398998127_thumb.jpg

post-23033-0-01131000-1398998142_thumb.jpg

The people that have been causing issues are now making ridiculous complaints to Council about having illegal A Frames on the footpath so they gave them a warning today and said they will be watched as they don't have a permit for the sign. No other business has permits including the ones next to them but no one else was spoken to, I am writing a complaint to Council now.

Edited by casowner