Breed Choice Advice

Vbs

Hi All

I was hoping to get some input into the very important decision of what type of puppy to get!

I live with my husband and two kids (aged 7 and 4). I work part-time so for most of the week there will be someone home with the pup, although three days a week it will be alone from around 8.30am until 4.30pm. We have a medium-sized yard, where the dog will spend its time when we are out, but he/she will be an indoor dog for the rest of the time.

I am looking for a dog which is fun and interactive with the kids, reasonably robust, but with mid-range energy levels. We will walk the dog everyday but I don't have time for a super-high energy dog like a kelpie.

At the moment I am considering either a Poodle (mini probably), a lagotto, a bedlington terrier (these seem quite rare though) or a Boston Terrier. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. In particular, I am interested in the energy levels and temperament of lagottos. I had a poodle growing up.

Many thanks,

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What attracts you to these very different breeds ? Is there something they have in common? :)

Coat/grooming

Trainability?

supposed intelligence?

Size?

novelty?

health status/lack of possible genetic problems?

It's an interesting choice .

Thanks Persephone

My short list is based in my knowledge of the dogs (poodle and lagotto) and looking through comments on the forum and dogs 101. I am attracted to the non-shed coat of poodles and lagotto and also their size. I am keen to learn more about the lagotti temperament.

We had two Bedlingtons & they where great dogs but don't be fooled by the lamb appearance ,they can be fire crackers but also great dogs .

I think of the of the breeds listed i would go Beddie then Poodle,not a fan of the Lagotto just don't seem to do much for me ,Boston is like picking chalk & cheese to the others

I really like Boston Terriers. I know a few families with them and they are great- a lot of fun! They are like a big dog in a small body. Exercise requirements are moderate. Were you after a non shedding breed though?

Mini Poodles are nice too but be selective with the breeder- i have met quite a few that are very nervous dogs (probably the owners contribute to this a bit as well!)

I love lagottos but they can also be quite challenging.

I also think a mini schnauzer could suit, if you like the look of them. They are a low shedding breed as well.

@aussielover. I will definitely consider a mini schnauzer too. What in particular about lagottos would you say is challenging?

@showdog- I agree the Boston seems an odd choice with the others but it appeals to me because of its small size but big personality. Also, whilst it is not non-shedding I think it has a relatively low maintenance coat?

@aussielover. I will definitely consider a mini schnauzer too. What in particular about lagottos would you say is challenging?

@showdog- I agree the Boston seems an odd choice with the others but it appeals to me because of its small size but big personality. Also, whilst it is not non-shedding I think it has a relatively low maintenance coat?

Non shedding = high maintenance cost. It costs me $55 every six weeks for a mini schnauzer and my groomer is cheap.

All the loggotos I have met have had weak twmperaments and been reactive .

What kind of training are you rally committed to? The dogs with lots of personality can mean a lot more work for you .

We will do obedience training. I am not concerned about the cost of grooming, I have had a poodle in the past so am familiar with the requirements. Are there other breeds you would recommend I consider?

Lagottos tend to have strong gundog instincts, a good nose and as megan said, can have temperament issues.

By that I mean they will be likely to get distracted by birds and interesting smells. I've met a few that are dog aggressive and fear aggressive as well.

Bostons definitely have a low maintenace coat but so do many shedding breeds. Although I dont think they are horrific shedders.

I wouldn't choose a poodle or lagotto with such young kids, neither breed are overly patient. I have owned and rescued poodles for the last 17 years, this is the first time in all those years I don't have one and it is going to stay that way mostly due to their unsuitability with children.

Edited to add: I have had a few poodles (mostly toys) surrendered to me over the years for biting the family's children. All but a couple that have come through my house (all sizes) including my own have had very little tolerance for children's behaviour.

The lagotto's I have/do groom are quite reactive dogs and I wouldn't trust them around young kids at all.

Have you considered a bichon they are quite robust and have softer temperaments.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow