Older Bitch Spay Incontinence

I'd prefer to try the capsules too for Sarah - she is occasionally incontinent and wakes up very distressed in a puddle on the lounge or my bed (until I made her start wearing pants and Poise pad of a night). She used to be on Stilboestrol but had been on it for a long time so I wanted to try her on something else ?

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of the capsules? smile.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd prefer to try the capsules too for Sarah - she is occasionally incontinent and wakes up very distressed in a puddle on the lounge or my bed (until I made her start wearing pants and Poise pad of a night). She used to be on Stilboestrol but had been on it for a long time so I wanted to try her on something else ?

I have bought stuff (slippery elm and charcoal capsules) from IHerb WM, they are pretty good to deal with. If I remember correctly it's best to join their newsletter/email list first because they email you a discount voucher, you can then cunningly use it on your first order (I think it was this company anyway)

The cornsilk seems to be pretty reasonably priced:

http://au.iherb.com/product-reviews/Nature-s-Way-Corn-Silk-400-mg-100-Capsules/1864/?p=1

I have bought stuff (slippery elm and charcoal capsules) from IHerb WM, they are pretty good to deal with. If I remember correctly it's best to join their newsletter/email list first because they email you a discount voucher, you can then cunningly use it on your first order (I think it was this company anyway)

The cornsilk seems to be pretty reasonably priced:

http://au.iherb.com/product-reviews/Nature-s-Way-Corn-Silk-400-mg-100-Capsules/1864/?p=1

This is the one I have. I ordered it from a health food shop. Cost more than that but wasn't horrible expensive.

I open the capsules and pour the powder on her food.

I have some capsules here, half a tub - maybe 40 or 50? I can send them to you if you would like to try them. Expiry is 31/10/20 and have been kept in a cool cupboard.

Edited by trifecta

• 4 weeks later...

What is the corn silk cap ratio to dog size? how often is it mixed in the dinner?

We are currently trialing incurin as the leaking has started again. So if it works, I guess confirmed weak muscles. just a few drips here and there. I did try making the tea but think I did it wrong and had little effect. Perhaps capsule dosage will be more accurate?

We've had a multitude of physical tests, urine testing and urine cultures and one look up her bits with a tiny camera :eek: she is "unremarkable" :laugh:

I mentioned it to the vet and they're happy for us to go ahead with corn silk if it works.

Edited by Thistle the dog

I've had Frosty on propalin syrup for about a month now (tried the steroid tablets back in feb - not sure they did much really tho the puddles did stop).

I did get a morning pee sample checked at the vet - all good there. And the vet prescribed the propalin.

The main thing the syrup has done is stopped the 4am slurp fest that woke me up.

I'm also much more careful about the before bed pit stop - because skipping that has led to puddles in places I'd rather not have them like on the couch. She just leaks.

What is the corn silk cap ratio to dog size? how often is it mixed in the dinner?

We are currently trialing incurin as the leaking has started again. So if it works, I guess confirmed weak muscles. just a few drips here and there. I did try making the tea but think I did it wrong and had little effect. Perhaps capsule dosage will be more accurate?

We've had a multitude of physical tests, urine testing and urine cultures and one look up her bits with a tiny camera :eek: she is "unremarkable" :laugh:

I mentioned it to the vet and they're happy for us to go ahead with corn silk if it works.

I came to the capsules late, Thistle, I had success with the tea which I gave twice daily, so I can't really comment. However, regarding the capsules I would probably give one twice daily, although if you read back in this thread BC Crazy says she had Stella on two caps broken into her dinner at night. It's just a case of trial and error.

Marles is now on incurin, as the corn silk is no longer effective. After a long haul we are now down to half a tablet every four days, but for ages we were stuck on half a tablet per day which I wasn't happy with at all. Interestingly, since she has been having chiropractic sessions she is much improved and I have been able to reduce the dose. Her chiropractic vet does not think it is the actual manipulation which has caused the turn around, but more likely that her feeling of wellbeing has increased.

That's lovely to hear, that her wellbeing is increased!

I guess I'm looking at alternatives as not a fan of either incurin's potential side effects (anemia?!) or propalin (anxiety and aggression?) on the long term. She's still so young...

Maybe I did make the tea wrong. I'll let the incurin kick in then maybe try the tea again. I did pack teaspoon, let it soak for 5 minutes then 3 teaspoons in morning and night of the liquid...

wrt Incurin: be aware that there is a 3-5 % chance that it will bring your dog in a kind of pseudo proestrous stage (swollen vulva, bleeding, sexual attractivity) which can last - conversely to an entire bitch - 24/7 - 365 days.... http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeterinary/Products/ApprovedAnimalDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/UCM265609.pdf ...consequently it might have some unpredictable behaviour changes...or attract unwanted attention of other dogs...

Edited by Willem

That's lovely to hear, that her wellbeing is increased!

I guess I'm looking at alternatives as not a fan of either incurin's potential side effects (anemia?!) or propalin (anxiety and aggression?) on the long term. She's still so young...

Maybe I did make the tea wrong. I'll let the incurin kick in then maybe try the tea again. I did pack teaspoon, let it soak for 5 minutes then 3 teaspoons in morning and night of the liquid...

PM Steve as well. She might be able to help with the alternatives. smile.gif She knows a LOT about all that stuff.