Just For Fun.... What Breeds Do You Think Best Exemplify Their Standar

Just for fun, and out of curiosity, I'd like to know which breeds everyone thinks best exemplify or embody their breed standard? I'm thinking especially for non-aficionados or breeders, and not the physical characteristics per say, but rather the character and personality if the breed which is obvious to people outside.

For example, for me, the beagle really is a "merry hound". I think they really suit that description even from my outsider's and ignorant perspective. Likewise, the bull terrier's "fun loving attitude" is always seen, for me, in their clowning. These are not breeds I'm familiar with, but for me I can see how their breed standard fits them for personality whenever I see them.

How about others?

I definitely think my basset hound does. Josie's go to move is to lean on your leg and look in to your eyes, the standard states: "Placid, never aggressive or timid. Affectionate." which is her to a tee.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

my Dalmatians really read the points about

"CAPABLE OF GREAT ENDURANCE" "ACTIVE " AND "FAIR AMOUNT OF SPEED" (which is in all caps in the standard) they test themselves several times a day with their zoomies.

On the temperament part, they are very easy to get along with and extroverted. And the characteristic grin, Cleo is a smile tart, Nala only shares hers with special people.

Our cocker is a pretty close match to the breed standard

Temperament: Gentle and affectionate, yet full of life and exuberance.

Collie loves cuddles, he likes to pat people and he's always up for a rough and tumble game

Characteristics: Merry nature with ever-wagging tail shows a typical bustling movement, particularly when following scent, fearless of heavy cover.

Collie's tail does figure 8's when he's following a scent, it's pretty funny

In my experience, Whippets definitely match their breed standard very closely both physically and in personality. Very sweet and gentle, never rough or aggressive, can't train them to not be on the furniture or bed, and operate in two speeds - gogogogo outside and zzzzzzz inside. :)

Temperament: Lively, Gentle, Friendly, Quiet, Intelligent, Affectionate
Temperament

Whippets are quiet, intelligent, and not prone to barking, but require regular exercise. They are generally gentle dogs, and may be content to spend much of the day resting. The AKC describes them as "quiet and dignified in their owner's living room" and says they make "excellent house dogs."

Despite being bred for racing, Whippets are couch potatoes. When not running around, they are usually asleep. They are not prone to fighting, but have been known to chase small pets. They also have a tendency to get up on furniture.

For me the Hungarian Vizsla suits its nickname, the Velcro dog.

As part of birthday greetings we say Licks,Woofs & Leans from them.... That lean is like superglue.

Amazing how a lean from one is always better than medicine

:thumbsup:

General Appearance: Small cobby active dog, with sharp foxy expression.

Characteristics: Intensely lively and alert.

Temperament: Amenable, intelligent and faithful.

Yep, every schip I've met certainly fits all of this! Intensely lively, haha it's so funny watching them run around and check out their surroundings, zooming from one place to the next as though they are making sure everything's in order :laugh:

Correctly bred Rottweilers generally embody their breed standard:

Characteristics: Rottweiler breeders aim at a dog of abundant strength, black coated with clearly defined rich tan markings, whose powerful appearance does not lack nobility and which is exceptionally well suited to being a Companion, Service and Working dog.

Temperament: Behaviour and character. Being good natured, placid in basic disposition and fond of children, he is very devoted, obedient, biddable and eager to work. His appearance is natural and rustic, his behaviour self assured, steady and fearless. He reacts to his surroundings with great alertness.

As demonstrated below by the dogs that attended the Dog Lovers Show on the weekend

Watching the agility demonstrations in the main arena.

20140504_152557_zpsdccce99c.jpg

Fond of Children

IMGP2143_zps39f4406c.jpg

IMGP2056_zps408cb74e.jpg

IMGP2035_zps95b07ee4.jpg

IMGP2071_zps39669486.jpg

Obedient and biddable under great distraction

IMGP2595_zpsdce0c1ce.jpg

IMGP2176_zpsb4f6c05a.jpg

IMGP2646_zps1c013e13.jpg

And very eager to work excelling in herding, carting, obedience and tracking.

IMGP1967_zps2b5d4f7b.jpg

Before people reply to this forum I would suggest the you read the ANKC breed standard for that breed. :)

Indeed, I suggest people read the Extended Standard where one is available.

Colour me confused by the question though. How can a breed (as opposed to one individual dog) not exemplify the standard that's been written to catalogue its features. :confused:

I actually was trying to get at what one can see just by looking at or watching the dog, particularly if you're not familiar with it. So, you can't tell a Rottie is a herding dog by seeing it in those photos, but a fondness for children is clear. A beagle, for me, is merry. Not cheerful or happy, but merry. Bassets exude placid, and often contentment to me. But with these breeds I've seen them, gone and read the standard and gone 'click'. It fitted. Whereas others, I could see the physical, but couldn't 'see' the temperament traits in the description, either because of when I saw the dog, because of the context (herding Rotts for instance), or because it didn't pop for me.

I think I'm interested because what attracts me to breeds isn't necessarily their appearance but their carriage, air and personality. So I wonder what other people 'see' when they see breeds they are less familiar with which will be different from those who are familiar with them.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Grumpette, I just LOVE looking at photos of your Rotties!! They're one of my favourite larger breeds because they are such affectionate boofheads!! And oh boy do they looooove their snuggles and cuddles from people!! I've been very lucky in my life that every Rottie I've met had the most gorgeous temperament and have been wonderful examples of how amazing the breed can be! :heart:

Not having a go at you Brandiandwe but I too was confused by this thread before you clarified as my thought was 'shouldn't all breeds be bred to best exemplify their standards?' Thanks for clarifying! :thumbsup:

No offence taken! I couldn't work out how to say what I meant first time round, then had to try again. Definite case of problem between brain idea and incapacity to use my words effectively!

And those Rotties have made me out a Rott on my 'wouldlovetohaveatsomestageinthefutureificanbeartoaddaninsighthoundtothepack' list. :D

Grumpette, I just LOVE looking at photos of your Rotties!! They're one of my favourite larger breeds because they are such affectionate boofheads!! And oh boy do they looooove their snuggles and cuddles from people!! I've been very lucky in my life that every Rottie I've met had the most gorgeous temperament and have been wonderful examples of how amazing the breed can be! :heart:

Always gorgeous to see the photos.

Like you I have been so lucky to have meet outstanding Rotties.

In my experience, Whippets definitely match their breed standard very closely both physically and in personality. Very sweet and gentle, never rough or aggressive, can't train them to not be on the furniture or bed, and operate in two speeds - gogogogo outside and zzzzzzz inside. :)

Temperament: Lively, Gentle, Friendly, Quiet, Intelligent, Affectionate
Temperament

Whippets are quiet, intelligent, and not prone to barking, but require regular exercise. They are generally gentle dogs, and may be content to spend much of the day resting. The AKC describes them as "quiet and dignified in their owner's living room" and says they make "excellent house dogs."

Despite being bred for racing, Whippets are couch potatoes. When not running around, they are usually asleep. They are not prone to fighting, but have been known to chase small pets. They also have a tendency to get up on furniture.

I actually was trying to get at what one can see just by looking at or watching the dog, particularly if you're not familiar with it. So, you can't tell a Rottie is a herding dog by seeing it in those photos, but a fondness for children is clear. A beagle, for me, is merry. Not cheerful or happy, but merry. Bassets exude placid, and often contentment to me. But with these breeds I've seen them, gone and read the standard and gone 'click'. It fitted. Whereas others, I could see the physical, but couldn't 'see' the temperament traits in the description, either because of when I saw the dog, because of the context (herding Rotts for instance), or because it didn't pop for me.

I think I'm interested because what attracts me to breeds isn't necessarily their appearance but their carriage, air and personality. So I wonder what other people 'see' when they see breeds they are less familiar with which will be different from those who are familiar with them.

Brandiandwe when you watch Rotties playing, especially with other breeds, you can see their herding behaviour. It is more subtle than that shown by Kelpies and Border Collies.

Baylee and Zeph learning herding manners (balance and pressure)

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMGP5455.jpg

153.jpg

155.jpg

IMG_5884.jpg

Brandiandwe when you watch Rotties playing, especially with other breeds, you can see their herding behaviour. It is more subtle than that shown by Kelpies and Border Collies.

Baylee and Zeph learning herding manners (balance and pressure)

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMGP5455.jpg

153.jpg

155.jpg

IMG_5884.jpg

That is SO cool!