House Sitter Costs

We are going away over Christmas and New year, I have been onto the two sites suggested above, but there are just so many people. How do you know who to choose? Can others that have used the site recommend people that they have used?

What I did was put an ad in (it's free) outlining what I had to offer & what I wanted done etc. I then went through all the pages & anyone I felt might be suitable, I emailed them directing them to the ad I had put in. Seemed the best way to do it :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are going away over Christmas and New year, I have been onto the two sites suggested above, but there are just so many people. How do you know who to choose? Can others that have used the site recommend people that they have used?

What I did was put an ad in (it's free) outlining what I had to offer & what I wanted done etc. I then went through all the pages & anyone I felt might be suitable, I emailed them directing them to the ad I had put in. Seemed the best way to do it :)

Fantastic idea! Thanks

Well our house sitter did a great job - the house was spotless when we returned and the animals all ok, which was such a relief after the disaster with the previous one! I don't think she'll be rushing back to us though as the little sods turned into indoor peeing machines in our absence :grimace:

I think I'll have to see which kennels will accept titre results instead of vaccination certs and maybe try that next time.

We gave her a gift box of things from Margaret River - smellies and chocolate etc. and some cash in the end.

Note to self, bookmark sites mentioned

it really is hard work to find housesitters when you are a breeder and have a number of animals

I've house sat for two DOL breeders and loved it because I find breeders know their dogs (and are honest with you about each dogs behaviours and needs) and have good routines and facilities in place. Seriously, if a house sitter is focussed on the animals in their care (and not treating the experience as a mini vacation) then the number of dogs (or cats!) should not be a deterrent. You get up early, do what you need to do, rest when they nap and go to bed early so you can do it all again the next day! It really can be an amazing experience.

When I do it I usually get a little present from wherever they've been :)

I'd never ask for money. I don't mind doing it too much but I am doing them a favour, I would rather be at my own house.

I think a little gift is a good idea.

Edited by Law

I would have the house sitter sleep in the spare bedroom. The dogs would sleep on my bed...or that's what I would hope they'd do. I guess there's the chance after a couple of nights of me not being present that they might want to sleep on the house sitters bed in the spare bedroom :)

I think it would be difficult for the house sitter to have the dogs sleep on her bed if she doesn't believe dogs should sleep on beds. We would need to discuss this issue at first contact with house sitter.

That's what we do if it is someone who is not keen for dogs sleeping on beds (or I'm not keen on them sleeping in my bed!) I love nothing better than cuddling up to my girl.

We had a terrible experience with a house sitter so ever since then we have family or friends stay. The dogs are pretty easy to look after, are housetrained and we have all the mod cons people like. Whenever we've had the dogs looked after, we've just given them a really nice gift and stocked the fridge and pantry with 'goodies'. They are doing us a great favour.

I think the cost it would depend on the number of animals that need to be taken care of.

I wouldn't be prepared to pay $150 per day for my two reasonably well behaved elderly Cavalier Spaniels.

Its not just for looking after the animals - its the property and daily things that need to be done such as watering trees etc.

• 1 month later...

OMG.

A lot of people pay $$ for house/pet minding!

If you have a nice house and/or nice location, you can't find a friend of a friend, relative of workmate etc. to house&pet mind?

Recently asked friends to pet sit over the weekend.

Great for all of us- they got a coastal quick break (instead of paying $600+ to rent somewhere).

They left US a bottle of wine and toy for pup.

In early 20's housesat for a friend-of-friend (same workplace).

Considered it a nice holiday! Free. MUCH nicer than my rental.

Walked young Old English Sheepdog daily (at least) and fed cat.

Treated house with care, poo pick up, though didn't mow or garden (not needed).

My non-cat loving sister is house minding ATM with 2 cats, several fish.

No payment: Is for a friend, though they're not close.

They have instructions and food, kitty litter for cats and goldfish.

Sister considers it a "holiday", even though older and has own home.

Nice suburb, nice house, helps.

Home owners regular cleaner is coming day they move out (home owner paid), so she doesn't even have to clean when moving out.

ETA: These are metro-area houses, so no huge maintenance involved.

Edited by Poodle wrangler