House Sitter Costs

Could anyone let me know the going rate for dog/house sitters these days please?

A friend of a friend is staying at ours and looking after the critters for 3 nights, she says she doesn't charge but I would like to pay her the going rate :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My housesitters don't charge. Most housesitters do it full time so move from gig to gig - means they are not paying rent etc

If they are charging then it is more a pet minding service.

I haven't had one for a couple of years but it was $60 per day, maximum of 5 dogs and no walking etc. I was mortified to come home and find that the housesitter hadn't picked up any poo for a week ... I could cope with the no walking policy but no poop scooping was a bit much.

I supplied all their food too by the way.

Could anyone let me know the going rate for dog/house sitters these days please?

A friend of a friend is staying at ours and looking after the critters for 3 nights, she says she doesn't charge but I would like to pay her the going rate :)

A smile between two friends, a nice meal together and a mutually beneficial time would be the cost I would ask....

Say you do not charge her, find out if she is hankering after a special gift or something. Give her that and it becomes a happy memory for her.

:thumbsup:

If i was paying someone then i would expect them to be insured & have clearances as its a paid job ,i would also expect a contract on expectations & costs .

I would still want a contract even if no money is exchanged so all parties are aware of what is expected & can't be done etc etc.

I've had several house and pet sitters and I've never paid them.

Our arrangement is they can bring their dogs if they like, eat whatever is in the pantry or fridge, use as much electricity, water and downloads on the internet as they choose, and enjoy the local scenery while they're here. It's a free holiday for them.

I like the gift or meal idea - your friend wants to do this for you asafriend, maybe shout her dinner when you dine together next time, or perhaps some movie tickets or similar?

My house-sitters sit for free, but I leave the house spotless for them, a bottle of wine in the fridge with their name on & a pantry & freezer full of food. But they don't expect any of that as they reckon they are having a free holiday & they get to have their "Dog Fix" at the same time. :)

I recently paid $30 a day, plus free run at anything in the freezer or pantry. This was for 4 tiny older dogs - feed, supervised toilet breaks / exercise in my yard, and cuddles. No poop scooping, walks or medication. If I required any of those, I would expect to pay a bit more.

I haven't had one for a couple of years but it was $60 per day, maximum of 5 dogs and no walking etc. I was mortified to come home and find that the housesitter hadn't picked up any poo for a week ... I could cope with the no walking policy but no poop scooping was a bit much.

I supplied all their food too by the way.

We had an extended family member house sit once when we just had Collie and yup no poop was picked up in about a week and a half. I didn't think that needed to be specified but apparently it did :confused:

and we didn't pay her, a box of chocolates sufficed as she lived at home with her mum and 3 siblings at the age of 26 - she was happy enough to have her own space for a bit.

I have said free run of food, internet, foxtel movies etc., so maybe a nice gift and a bottle of wine when we return. We had a total nightmare with the last one we tried who was a 'professional' dog walker and house sitter, so am a bit nervous about leaving them again :(