Anything To Worry About?

I always wondered why everyone assumes Didi's a boy, I know I tend to assume dogs are boys and cats are girls so figured it was just one of those things BUT my mum pointed out to me the other day that Didi does have really pronounced girly bits (I think it's the vulva??) so much so it kind of looks like she has testicles.

Just wondering if this was just a benign little abnormality or if there could be something else behind it?

It's been like this since she was a baby puppy but gotten more noticeable over time.

She's been desexed since 8 weeks old (I know not ideal) so it's not related to her coming into season or anything.

Tried to get a photo but she didn't really appreciate the intrusive nature of the task but you can still see it in these.

post-51158-0-01419000-1402469520_thumb.jpg

post-51158-0-87323100-1402469550_thumb.jpg

I'm not really sure to be honest... tried looking at some female dog anatomy diagrams but they were all internal. I just googled what an enlarged anal gland would look like (ew) but don't think that's what it is as it's not around the anus it's sort of like a flabby little pouch right above where her vagina is.

I'm not worried about it - it doesn't completely cover her vulva, and she doesn't get infections or the like...

T.

I'm not particularly worried either more just curious as to why it's like that but the vet did say at one of her puppy check ups when she had vaginitis that her vuvla was a bit inverted/she didn't look super right down there and that it's probably nothing to worry about but to keep an eye on it. The pouch has gotten a lot bigger/more pronounced since that vet visit so I am a bit more aware of it.

As long as the pouch (modesty flap) doesn't impede her urine flow, or get really big or hard, I wouldn't worry too much. It's just a fatty flap, so making sure she's not overweight is also a smart move on your part.

She looks gorgeous to me - all sleek and shiny... and until you put the arrows on the photo, I couldn't really make out what you were talking about.

T.

I'm really not sure what the logistics surrounding her desexing were as it was done before we got her, she only had two stitches so I assumed she just had her tubes snipped and still has her ovaries and uterus?

Terri, I think T might be onto something when she said its a Dane thing. My girl Dane is similar. I have an exam today but I'll take a photo in the next couple of days and put it up for you. You could ask in the Dane thread about it, although it's very quiet in there atm.

...Does this help ?

Great_Dane_three-legged_harlequin_standing.jpg

And being a mix of breeds ..anatomy can often looks a bit out of proportion ...or 'different'

Oh ..and the area between anus and vulva is the perineum . Lots of muscles, anal opening,anal glands and urethra /vagina . There are things which can go wrong with anything here... but , if you are concerned , ask the vet , of course .

Edited by persephone

That's a strange coincidence raineth, I might ask if the other girls in her litter/her mum have the same thing.

Thanks perse, I knew 'the pouch' probably had an actual name, couldn't find it on any diagrams saying what it was though :o I'm not too worried about it but seeing as Didi doesn't have to go to the vet for anything for another 4 months it might be worth just having a chat about. She's been a bit gunky after peeing lately which has happened a couple of times before but never been consistent or severe enough to need a vet, but I think I'd like the peace of mind.