Dog Parks

flame ryder

Would love to know where all the best dog parks are....but not just your average run of the mill dog park but the ones with permanent agility equipment. Would love to know if there are any good ones in SA (cause that's where I live) but still be interested to see others throughout Australia. Please include photos if possible :)

Found this link when looking for images of my local agility / off leash. Its all SA based :)

http://tailsofftheleash.com.au/parks/view-all-parks/

Here is some info relatively local to me (I live right on the boarder of two councils and quite close to a third. 2/3 are very dog friendly.

http://www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/Community/Pets-and-Animals/Dog-friendly-parks-with-off-leash-areas

No images of the one near by to me. From memory it has:

Weaving poles

a hoop (solid, too high, danergous as listed above)

a tunnel,

bridge,

2 jumps - good height and distance

plenty of room to run.

a good hill

1 seat for hoomans

dog bowl (and mud bath)

bin and baggies

double / airlock gate.

We stopped going because Scottie liked 'flopping' in the mud after a hard run + people weren't picking up their poo and he was skidding in it when playing a rough game of fetch + it is/was crowded and his recall got good enough to trust him to come back. (knock on wood I didn't just jinx myself)

Edited by Scottsmum

My mum has a set near her house in Mordialloc in Melbourne(all pretty solid stuff though as GeorgieB said). The Shoalhaven has just recieved grants to have permanent public agility facilities built in two locations, one at the Milton showground and one at the Nowra showground. :) looking forward to seeing them built

We have three steel jumps at weird heights and a short steel tunnel plus what I assume are supposed to be weaves but is actually a random row of fence posts about 1.5m apart... I wouldn't list it as a "good" one :p Again, dangerous because everything is solid and also because people who aren't aware jump too small/young/both dogs over too high jumps.

I'll try to remember to get a photo.

There are two down south with permanent pseudo-equipment. One is Minkarra dog park in Aberfoyle Park, and the other is a trail in Morphett Vale that runs next to Southern Districts dog club.

The one near SDKODC is okay, but being permanent fixtures, safety can be compromised with jump height and spacing etc. Equipment is also mostly wooden and far from ANKC standard.

There's one on Ashley Ave in Modbury/Redwood Park area, has some jumps, weaves, a kind of tunnel and dog walks, but also has an open oval area for fetch and a treed/creek area for sniffs :) Not too bad.

Edit - it's not fenced in (which I prefer because then people actually have to watch their dogs)

Edited by Weasels

There's some at Eliza Place, Panorama (CC Hood park?).

The "weave poles" are sold metal poles - set about 1m apart ie not for weaving and not safe either.

The jumps are solid fixed about 1.5m apart.

They have tunnels but they're concrete storm drain pipes - the sort a dog would bust a shoulder on if they hit one.

They have a couple of seats in the park and if you have a dog who loves being on a chair - they're a paw trap for dogs and small children.

There's nothing I like about that park. It's too small, it has bark chips and weeds and mud. And the bins are outside - ie you have to go through double gates to put a poop in the bin.

I wrote a detailed email to council - asking for the bins to be placed so you could "post" a dog poop bag through the fence but they haven't done that. So naturally there is a fair bit of dog poop in the park.

It is quite popular with Lab owners on Sunday arvos.

IMO anything that is solid enough to be 'permanent' in a dog park that gets lots of use is likely to be dangerous.

Are there any proper agility clubs in your area? Or anyone who does private lessons? Or even a competitor who has their own equipment, who might let you come over and run your dog on it for a fee? That would be much safer, on regulation equipment, and get some instruction.

Theres one in Port Elliot SA now but they are still working on it with putting agility equipment in it. It will look great when its completed. I'm not really a fan of dog parks personally but so far this new one has been a big hit with many dogs and their owners ;)

If you are on fb you should be able to view their page https://www.facebook.com/groups/192628807531391/

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Would love to know where all the best dog parks are....but not just your average run of the mill dog park but the ones with permanent agility equipment. Would love to know if there are any good ones in SA (cause that's where I live) but still be interested to see others throughout Australia. Please include photos if possible :)

If you have the room, just make your own equipment. It is easy to make jumps, weave poles & you can buy tunnels :) The only reports I have had of permanent agility dog parks is that they are usually solid structures & dangerous & idiots who don't know what they are doing, can put their dogs at risk. Better to join an agility club & work under instruction.

My dog loves the bmx track at our local park. Running up and down the humps in it and hiding on the opposite sides of them. She can still hurt herself but it's less likely. She also quite likes anything with a high platform so some of the regular childrens play equipment she likes too. There's a sort of climbing wall ladder and platforms with stairs (with rails).

Maybe stuff like what is in the wolf enclosure at the zoo would be more suitable.

The concrete pipes are dog shoulder smashers. The ones on the port Elliot FB page would be safer if the dirt actually came around the ends so there is no narrow bit of concrete protruding.

They have just put some up at Baulkham Hills offlead park, from what I saw they were just being used to pee up ,and owners dragging their scared dogs up the ramps :(

Is that the park in Balcombe Heights? I got married on that reserve - watched the dogs there on afternoon when I was up there prepping for the wedding - menace of a park - would never go there in a million years. (well, the owners we all lax to say the least)

In Orange while i lived there the council added agility equipment to a pretty sad ungrassed fenced area.

Equipment so unsafe that i wouldn't use it. But many people would drag their dogs over the equipment and most dogs disliked it.

Pity the council didn't ask for advice as a fair bit of effort and money was spent. For instance a dog walk and A frame of polished/varnished (slippery )slatted wood.

Must ask competitors tomorrow here in shellharbour if shoalhaven council asked them for ideas.

P

Edited by skip

Agility equipment should not be fixed or solid!!!

It's unsafe dogs, especially fast dogs that know what they are doing and can't necessarily tell the equipment is concrete.

A malinois actually died in Europe in a regular agility competition from hitting the tunnel (I think it was actually the way the tunnel bags were placed) very hard.

Fixed equipment is a crash hazard and people using it with no understanding of agility are often not doing their dogs any favours.

These are the reasons the consultative group to the ACT Government dog parks recommended against it being installed.