Gah, I Think I'm A Puppy Tragic!

Somehow I don't see the personality in a little one, to me they're cute but all in the same way.

I so wish you could :) It is amazing to watch even the new little blobs - they are set in their ways from day one! One may be noisy - one is a bully - one just eats & sleeps - one needs contact - one prefers to be apart from the group....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's great that you are excited KC. You obviously understand there may be a long wait but it will be worth it when you get your pup. Even if it is 18 months, that's not that long in the grand scheme of things. I probably won't be getting another puppy until we lose one of our current dogs. They are only 6,5 and 2 so, hopefully not for many many years yet but I can still daydream about the next puppy I would like :D

Fingers crossed the next mating goes well and you will be sharing lots and LOTS of puppy pics relatively soon :)

I know pers it's weird. I also find human babies "cute" but not that interesting. Give me a tantrum throwing two year old though and I find that much more interesting! It's probably lucky because I don't really have the ability to say no to anything so I would have probably filled the house with puppies if I did find them irresistible. Maybe i would if it was my own puppy? Anyway it means I'm always more then happy to adopt a grown dog and don't feel I've ever missed out on the puppy stage so that's a bonus.

Gosh I have missed DOL - someone who has done everything right as a potential and responsible hopeful soon-to-be puppy owner comes on here to share their excitement and nervousness and joyful puppy-cluckiness and we et a bunch of *It might not happen - everything might be terrible - you are bound to be disappointed* posts!!

So predictable it is tiresome!!

I am absolutely thrilled for you and will be waiting to hear your GREAT news just asap! For me, I have come to enjoy the wait for a new puppy -all the fantasies and daydreams have their own joy and the reality will probably be totally different and even ore happy!!

So, apparently is people's propensity to think the worst of cautionary posts and paraphrase them to suit their purposes.

Matings do miss. Bitches do not produce to order. For those who've never been on a wait list fot a mating that may not even happen, "be prepared" is hardly "things might be terrible" is it?

I hope it all works out then, especially if you are getting one with the intention that it be of show potential, as it's often a road paved with disappointment

I wouldn't get my hopes up until puppies are on the ground, the breeder has made their choices and you actually have a puppy to take home

ohhh goodie so it could be like 18 months of this

To be fair, these posts, right at the very start of a lighthearted threat were a bit weird. Not just good natured 'be prepared'. Very odd.

I was always an adult dog person, the puppy stage was just what you went through to raise the dog you wanted. Then I bred a litter and it completely changed my view, I 'squeeee' away with everyone else :laugh: although Borzoi puppies are clearly the cutest (I may be biased)

Good luck with it!

Basset puppies are cute as buttons, but so are the adults. I love their soft ears....a friend of mine when I was a young teen had one, and I'd spend ages just stroking his ears and telling him how handsome he was. I think my friend was a bit jealous of the time I spent with him actually. laugh.gif

I was a bit hesitant to reply to this thread because I was worried I might annoy people by talking about my puppy :o

KC, I know how you're feeling because I won't be getting my puppy until April next year... But I prefer to wait because this is a special mating between Grover's brother and Grover's mum's great, great granddaughter - and the mum looks so much like Grover's mum it's not funny. I like to think that Grover is talking to my new puppy and preparing him for his life on Earth with me. He's going to be a very special little guy who's worth waiting for :D

I wish you all the best with it and I look forward to seeing pics of your new puppy :)

Grover's mum when she was younger

Maggieyoung-1.jpg

Her great, great granddaughter, the mother of my new puppy

Sunny3.jpg

And here is one of Grover, my beautiful baby :heart:

Groveronthecouch3.jpg

We had just been to the beach and I had lit the wood fire

Edited by Queen Maeby

Reading these posts makes me want to share how much I would love a miniature schnauzer puppy to add to our family and have as a buddy for Abby. But it probably won't happen because my OH thinks it will be too expensive, not just to buy a puppy but to take care of it. We have spent quite a bit on Abby over the 6/7 months we have had her but I would hope they by getting a puppy we wouldn't have the issues we have had with Abby. I look at the puppies for sale often on this website and dream. Kelpie cuddles good luck with your dream.

You won't annoy my Maeby :) They are so similiar aren't they! It will be lovely to have one from the same lines

Yes, they are excellent lines. Grover has three Grand Champions in his pedigree :)

Edited by Queen Maeby

I haven't even decided on a breed and I'm still thinking about what I need, what I've already got, if I see something on special, do I buy it now or wait in case something better comes up later, I know exactly how you feel.

Some people just have a carrot up their butts for some reason, the other thread isn't applicable as you don't actually have a puppy coming just yet :thumbsup:

Josie isn't big, only around 23kg. Although a lot of people say to me that they are big dogs when they see her and then I tell them she's a small basset. that said if I were keeping her in 'show condition' she'd be closer to 24-25kg. I certainly don't feel like I live with a large breed when you consider that she is shorter than my 17kg kelpie.

Well, considering at the time I wanted a dog to carry, the Bassett was definitely not the right breed. :)

I don't mean huge, like a Great Dane, but they certainly weren't what I was expecting. I was thinking more like a Beagle.

Edited by poochmad

Oh then not really no :laugh:

That said I do pick Josie up quite a lot, to put her in and out of the car, so that a person with less mobility can pat her and smooch her up close, lifting her up so she can say hello to my neighbour over the fence and so on :rofl:

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Ok I'm going to take it all back. The puppies I've been aunty to for the last two months are going to new homes on the weekend. I went in for a goodbye cuddle yesterday. My goodness what a difference a week makes. Suddenly they are more like little dogs rather than bundles.

Couple of little tough nuts and a few real smoochers. I'm so in awe of breeders after the bit of insight I've had. The breeders very careful of not letting them chew on people and doing all their confidence building excercises. I sat on the floor and let them crawl over me and didn't cop one bite although I might have a new haircut. Such fun.

The earlier you become involved in the breeding process for a pup, the greater the chance of disappointment.

Missed matings, no pups of the gender you wanted, singleton litters, no show quality...

Something all breeders experience and if you are on a wait list for a breeding, something you might too. Be prepared.

But also the earlier you become involved in the breeding process, the more likely you are to find what you're looking for. Life is full of disappointments, I think we all understand that, but they don't need to be focused on. :)

Edited by Tay.