Tried Googling Without Success

How old do children have to be before they can walk dogs without an adult present? Does it differ from Council to Council? I'm sure if differs from State to State as most things seems to.

Accident waitng to happen happened this afternoon.

Same old story: people who shouldn't be allowed within a hundred miles of a dog have a beautiful Labrador puppy which spends almost its entire life in the front courtyard, high brick walls nothing to see, no access to the family etc etc etc. It is occasionally taken for a walk by one or all of mother, son of about 13 or daughter about 10.

I was just in front of the next house stopped on the footpath while my dogs sniffed when suddenly the dog (who would be about 7 months old) was amongst us bounding around with the little girl trying to catch her and, of course, my dogs going right off in panic. The dog had obviously seen mine across the road and pulled out of the girl's hand and bounded over the road with the girl in pursuit. Luckily, I live in a quiet area but there are some people who think of the street as their private race track and all along the sides are parked cars. The family who owns the dog has five cars between them :mad Had there been a car coming, I hate to think what might have happened because no way would the girl or dog have been seen before it was too late.

I'm expecting a call from an irate neighbour any minute because I told the girl in no uncertain terms to take the dog home, she was too young to be walking her and to tell her mother it was illegal. LOL.

Age is 16 here, same age you need to be to register a dog. This is a council regulation though so I'd imagine it's probably a council regulation in your case too?

Edited by Things

I think this is your best bet: http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/act+87+1998+cd+0+N

Part 3, section 13:

(1) A dog that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.

(2) If this section is contravened:

(a) the owner of the dog, or

(b) if the owner is not present at the time of the offence and another person who is of or above the age of 16 years is in charge of the dog at that time—that other person,

is guilty of an offence.

16 is a pretty safe bet anyway as usually maturity has kicked in a bit by then. That said I think NSW it's 18 to register a dog under your name? Regardless it's pretty irresponsible of the parent(s) to let their kids walk the streets alone, with or without a dog.

Edited by Things

You must have had a scare. Glad everyone was OK. You absolutely did the right thing sending her home!

I wasn't scared because I know that despite her horrible lonely life, she is very good natured. I was just very very angry ..... with they way the stupid family treats her and that I am powerless to do anything. (I have spoken to Council.)

Yep, a similar thing happened to me in Brisbane while walking our dogs (on leads). A young boy of about 12 was walking a massive Rotti ... Should say the dog was walking him! Luckily, he was a strong 12 year old and maintained the dog and lead ... just :(

Same thing happened to me about a week ago - during school hols.

Only a few days before I'd spent 2 hours trying to catch this larger poodle cross with no luck and it turned out it was staying with some people in the next street during the hols. They let their own dog wander but it's very small. They also have low fencing in one area so I explained to them that's how he got out and they must keep him inside when they went out or he'd be out again - he'd crossed the roads many times and luckily didn't get hit by any cars.

Anyhow, the children are all under 10 yrs of age. I was on the other side of the road and one of the kids aged about 8, was walking poodle cross, he saw my dogs and pulled away from her running straight across the road - he stopped short as my dogs went off their brain.

They got him back and mother was holding him, I said to her "Unfortunately he's too strong for your children to walk on the lead".

So what does she do? Hands the lead back to the child whilst shouting at her, I could still hear her shouting at her time after time, going up the road .... Why she couldn't have held the lead herself, i'll never know.

I regularly see kids walking dogs including 2 young girls walking GSDs one day, I had to hide behind a car as these dogs spotted my small dogs and began to drag the girls along the road ...

Its not just children. I see many young women "walking" - i.e. they are dragging the girl along - big powerful dogs and you just know they would not have a hope of controlling the dog if it decided to take off.

I walk four dogs by myself but fortunately I've got them all trained.

I do remember saying to one young woman I know who is very petite that your dog shouldn't have shoulders broader than your own. Particularly when it's your first dog. And especially if considering a strong or guarding breed.

This all I could find in the CAA (which pertains only to NSW. It doesn't say anything about someone having to be 16 only that if a person in charge of a dog who contravenes the rules is 16 or over that person is guily of an offence.

13 Responsibilities while dog in public place

(1) A dog that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.

(2) If this section is contravened:

(a) the owner of the dog, or

(b) if the owner is not present at the time of the offence and another person who is of or above the age of 16 years is in charge of the dog at that time—that other person,

is guilty of an offence.

Yeah that's what I found in my post earlier, upon re-reading it. Regardless you'd hope the parents were responsible enough to know that a dog of that size could easily overpower the kids. Maybe if they were walking a chihuahua the situation would have been different.

Your local council may also have bylaws pertaining to a minimum age that a child may be in control of a dog in public. A child walking a dog is not deemed in control if accompanied by an adult, in most cases.