Heartwarming Moments With Your Dog

silentchild

I'm in need of a pick m up so I thought it would be good to read some lovely stories about your bonds and breakthroughs with your dog.

What moments stand out the most in your memory about your relationship with your dog? Could be a training breakthrough, or a moment that made you feel more connected, anything that fills you with the warm fuzzies. Please share your stories!

I have two that come to mind. One is a few weeks after I had just brought Breeze home for the first time. Due to her past she was a fearful, anxious, mistrusting little girl. From the day I took her home I tried hard to build her confidence but she was always very stoic and 'looking out for herself'. She did not have a 'happy face'. Anyway, right from the start she didn't trust me enough to do the things I asked her to that she deemed too scary. One of these was a very simple thing - getting in the car. She just would not get into the scary big machine that I was telling her to get into. I had to carry her into the car every time, where she would just lay shaking in the footwell, it didn't matter how much fun the places I drove her to were. It didn't even matter if I tried to lure her in with steak! There was no way she would ever get in the car of her own will. Anyway after several weeks of trying to get her in the car without me having to pick her up, I resigned myself to the fact that she would never come round to it, and it was just one of many disheartening things that made me begin to think maybe I should return her to the breeder if she could not gain enough confidence with me and probably needed a more competent owner. Anyway, one day I drove her to check out a new training class, and when we were ready to go home, as usual I opened the car door and told her to hop in, like I do every single time. I expected her to refuse and start shaking as usual and got ready to carry her in. I looked at her - and she stood there and looked at me for a few seconds, tilting her head slightly. She looked straight into my eyes with a piercing stare and I still remember a strange feeling coming over me that gave me chills. It was almost as if she was sizing me up, and had decided that she could trust me now. And lo and behold, she darted forward and leapt into the car like she had been doing it her entire life. I was so shell-shocked it took me a while to realize what had happened. I did not stop smiling the entire drive home.

From that moment on, I knew immediately that she was 'my dog'. It may seem like such a small thing but it had a huge significance to me, and she has bravely done every scary thing I have asked her to since then and been my constant shadow at my side - she is now my entire world. I haven't ever had to carry her into any car since. :) :heart:

Another small moment just this morning - she sleeps with me on my bed usually at my feet and will crawl up to my side by the morning with her back facing me, but will move away if I attempt to snuggle or touch her too much. This morning she came up to my back strangely, sort of like spooning me, and she rested her head ON my head LOL..... and let out a very loud relaxed sigh, gave my cheek a lick, and fell asleep. I of course could not move a muscle but it made me feel so warm and happy inside. :)

Your turn to share your warm fuzzy moments!!

My boy sleeps on his bed, which is at the end of my bed in my room. I always close the door at night just to keep the noise down a bit. Some nights I'll wander off to bed and find him already fast sleep on his bed. It makes me feel good knowing he finds that a safe spot and is happy to be there. He is also very considerate when I'm sleeping. I can usually tell when he wakes up as his collar tags jingle, but if not he sits beside my bed and prods me with his nose until I acknowledge him. Thing is he only does this if he needs to go outside. If not he'll happily just lay in his bed and wait for me to sleep in a bit :D

He also does this stretch where he basically leans down forward and goes "wooooooooo" while looking up at you. I always feel obliged to woooo back at him so he keeps doing it cos it's so damn cute :D

Edited by Things

Oh what a nice idea! Luna is very much a daddy's girl - she is bonded more strongly to my OH than to me, but that's ok, the cats love him more too so I'm used to it. She's great with me though, a very loving puppy...but when there's both of us she does look to him for her cues. We took her to a new area for a short stroll yesterday morning and they were leading the way and she's happily sniffing away...when she's stopped, turned around back to me and wouldn't move until I was level with her, like she was worried she would leave me behind.

Here's a picture of her cute little face

IMG_20140705_170349427x640_zps8eca6b48.jpg

Oh what a nice idea! Luna is very much a daddy's girl - she is bonded more strongly to my OH than to me, but that's ok, the cats love him more too so I'm used to it. She's great with me though, a very loving puppy...but when there's both of us she does look to him for her cues. We took her to a new area for a short stroll yesterday morning and they were leading the way and she's happily sniffing away...when she's stopped, turned around back to me and wouldn't move until I was level with her, like she was worried she would leave me behind.

Here's a picture of her cute little face

IMG_20140705_170349427x640_zps8eca6b48.jpg

She is absolutely stunning

Silent child that's a beautiful story. Made me smile :)

My last dog Sam just had the most gorgeous soul and was so intuitive. I've told this story before in his Rainbow Bridge Thread and there is a photo there of this day too if you want to see it.

I had an operation in 2011 and couldn't do much afterwards, my gorgeous boy didn't leave my side unless it was to drink, eat, poop, or I threw a ball for him. When I was ok enough to go outside and it was spring and sunny, I spent the whole day reclined on a big outdoor swinging chair, and he layed next to me with his paw over my legs all day.

This is the same big doofy labrador that normally didn't pay enough attention to his own body and once gave me concussion from an over zealous recall that knocked me to the ground laugh.gif

Another time I had a seizure in the park behind my house while walking him and when I woke up he was standing over me and would only let my Mum approach.

One of a kind dog.

Josie's a pro at heartwarming moments. I caught this one on film a few weeks back when a friends daughter was a little sad and Josie thought she needed a hug.

Twodoggies your story also reminded me that Josie does the same thing, we were at the beach the other day(leash free beach so she was just pottering around) and we all walked up to the car, she stopped halfway and wouldn't even come with me calling her until our middle child came up off the beach. She's such a nanny dog, takes her child minding responsibilities very seriously!

post-6758-0-02486300-1405843635_thumb.jpg

post-6758-0-26448800-1405843693_thumb.jpg

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Usually when Didi comes to the beach with us we just wade at knee length but one day I went for an actual swim and turned around to a little submarine puppy swimming out really deep to get to me. She then realised she couldn't touch the bottom and freaked out and wrapped her paws around my neck (ouch) but it was still sweet she ventured all the way out to get to me.

Didi sleeps on my bed and will often snuggle into the crook of my neck and sigh but everytime still makes me melt a little.

Paige spent the first three weeks with us in her own world. She tolerated being touched, walked, fed but gave us no acknowledgement. She was also very high prey and was a nightmare whenever she saw other dogs or small animals. I was sitting on the sofa looking at her and feeling defeated. She was just totally shut down and I didn't think I could handle a dog like that. She looked up at me, straight in the eye as I was thinking about sending her back. She got off her bed, and walked over to me, and climbed very slowly onto the couch like she was carrying the world on her shoulders. She circled once, lay down and rested her head on my arm, and then she gave a huge sigh. I felt her whole body relax and realised she'd been just holding it together till she knew she could trust me. Since then, she's slept at my side, eats only for me and is my heart. I love all of my dogs, but she is my heart. And I am hers.

Brandi works as a therapy dog, and watching her work always stops me. But one moment made me connect with her, when I saw her work with a woman with severe dementia. The woman is known as almost completely unresponsive. Brandi approached this woman's chair and raised her head. The two made eye contact and held it, as the woman reached out and touched Brandi then everything went still. No one moved for fifteen or twenty seconds. Then Brandi moved on and the woman shut down again.

Seeing Benny settle in with us, but his delight at running into the bedroom and finding us all there and the wiggle he gives. Every day with him, I'm glad and thankful we went to that pound.

Watching Hermon and my husband develop their relationship is an ongoing joy. I have three dogs, hubby has one, but their connection is very deep.

I picked up my boy Hoover from his breeder when he was 10 weeks old. After losing my Bull Mastiff a few months earlier and coming home to an empty house every day I needed a puppy in my life again. From the day I brought him home he wasn't your average puppy. I thought I would be enjoying a wriggly licky snuggly puppy but not my boy. Whenever I picked him up he would struggle and squirm and if I laid down on the floor with him he would ignore me and go off and amuse himself. The only time he showed any affection was when he seen my Dad or Brother in Law. He'd go absolutely bonkers for them (and still does). He starts the night off on my bed which he has done from the time he was toilet trained and I will never forget the night when he came up from the end of the bed, all on his own, and was standing there just staring at me. I laid there and just looked at him and said " give me a kiss " and he licked my face - he was nearly two years old - he had never once licked any part of me before. He'll never win the 'most affectionate' dog but since that night he's happy to sit/lay on my lap for belly rubs and scratches and now he follows me around whenever I move from one place to another. He still doesn't lick randomly though, only when he feels like it, but I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world - He's very special and I hope he's still got years and years with me.

This is a beautiful thread, really enjoying the stories :)

I always remember being amazed with Toby when my mum came out of hospital after an operation, he was so very careful & gently came up to say hello, following along beside her as she made her way slowly through the house. Normally when he'd say hello he was a wiggly bouncing ball of excitement!

Wow, thanks for all your stories! It's really helping to remind me why we put in so much hard yards with our dogs. They are truly amazing creatures.

Silent child that's a beautiful story. Made me smile :)

My last dog Sam just had the most gorgeous soul and was so intuitive. I've told this story before in his Rainbow Bridge Thread and there is a photo there of this day too if you want to see it.

I had an operation in 2011 and couldn't do much afterwards, my gorgeous boy didn't leave my side unless it was to drink, eat, poop, or I threw a ball for him. When I was ok enough to go outside and it was spring and sunny, I spent the whole day reclined on a big outdoor swinging chair, and he layed next to me with his paw over my legs all day.

This is the same big doofy labrador that normally didn't pay enough attention to his own body and once gave me concussion from an over zealous recall that knocked me to the ground laugh.gif

Another time I had a seizure in the park behind my house while walking him and when I woke up he was standing over me and would only let my Mum approach.

One of a kind dog.

LisaCC, that photo in the thread brought a tear to my eye... what a gorgeous dog and so full of love. How lucky you were to have a dog like that.

Josie's a pro at heartwarming moments. I caught this one on film a few weeks back when a friends daughter was a little sad and Josie thought she needed a hug.

Those photos are beautiful.... Before DOL I've never really paid much notice to Bassets but your stories about Josie always helps break my preconceptions of them. She is an amazing girl and a great ambassador for Bassets.

Paige spent the first three weeks with us in her own world. She tolerated being touched, walked, fed but gave us no acknowledgement. She was also very high prey and was a nightmare whenever she saw other dogs or small animals. I was sitting on the sofa looking at her and feeling defeated. She was just totally shut down and I didn't think I could handle a dog like that. She looked up at me, straight in the eye as I was thinking about sending her back. She got off her bed, and walked over to me, and climbed very slowly onto the couch like she was carrying the world on her shoulders. She circled once, lay down and rested her head on my arm, and then she gave a huge sigh. I felt her whole body relax and realised she'd been just holding it together till she knew she could trust me. Since then, she's slept at my side, eats only for me and is my heart. I love all of my dogs, but she is my heart. And I am hers.

I love this, isn't it just the greatest feeling in the world when they open up to you and realize they can finally depend on you. What a beautiful story and thank you for sharing.

All the stories in this thread are amazing, please keep em coming!

Thanks Silentchild, I'm so proud of her. She loves making people laugh but always seems to know when to be still too. The first two pics are taken at a local cafe where we while away 5 hours or so with a group of mums and small children every Thursday morning. :)

We call the last one mum vs. wild. When in need survive by using a dog for a pillow and creating a warm blanket of small children(just for the record it's not me in the pic ;) )

post-6758-0-09817100-1405857125_thumb.jpg

post-6758-0-42550900-1405857130_thumb.jpg

post-6758-0-62648700-1405857268_thumb.jpg

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Seeing Benny settle in with us, but his delight at running into the bedroom and finding us all there and the wiggle he gives. Every day with him, I'm glad and thankful we went to that pound.

YEP. I hear ya. That pure unadulterated "oh you're awake", "Oh yay you're home", "Yippee, give me a pat" worth every second. Love my boy.

I lost my heart girl about 5 years ago. I've had a couple of fur kids since then, but nothing like her. 6 months ago, a breeder bred my favourite bitch and even though having another puppy was the last thing on my mind, I knew I had to have one. I'm living this little girl and she's slowly replacing my heart girl and fixing something that's been missing. What I love most is I will bend down to give her a cuddle and she will raise her mussel up and lay it across my cheek. It's like she's telling me, "I know, I'm here" and I didn't realize how much I need it.

My previous girl Lakota always had my back. Whether someone was acting threatening or when she stopped my ex from committing suicide. So when she died both myself and my lapphund were shattered. Blaez cried and fretted so much but I just didn't think I could stand another dog just yet. Then Jerry Lee happened. He wasn't planned but from the moment he got here he has supported all of us in a different way. He isn't tough like Lakota but he is so affectionate. He "hugs" with his head and neck and loves nothing more than if you put your hands out so he can rest his big body head in them. I've never had a dog that did this but it's such a trusting gesture. He prefers to be next to me and while he tucks himself in bed every night with his ducky and blanket, I wake to him being as close as possible. Sometimes he stops and looks at Lakotas portrait and sometimes when he sees me looking at it he just walks over and rests that big boofy head on me. The previously dog phobic kids at my daughter's school come running when they see him now too. He just knows to be extra gentle with them.

I came on this site this morning after reading more about the plane shot down and the lives lost, I needed a dose of cute and cuddly, thank you for this thread, it was just what I needed. My own two greeted me this morning but are now tucked up in bed wrapped in blankets.