Elizabethan Collar Alternatives

My boy will be going in for neutering in two weeks (9.5 months) unfortunately he has one undescended nut (Cryptorchid) so the surgery is a little more involved and I can only assume that the recovery will take a bit longer :( . He is a Husky for those that don't know.

I am looking at the Kongs cloud collar

http://www.kongcompany.com/products/for-dogs/grooming-and-recovery-collars/grooming-and-recovery-collars/cloud-collar/

and the comfy cone

http://www.allfourpaws.com/the_comfy_cone.php

I will probably require a large size and was wondering what the general consensus is or if anyone has any other recommendations?

Many thanks and apologies for a topic that has no doubt been done to death.

I have a large comfy cone I could sell you - tried on once and discovered it was a bit small for Nixon

Thanks Aliwake - I think Ronin's measurement is 13" or 33cm from collar to end of nose so not sure if the large is the right size for him? I will probably need to measure him again to make sure, can you PM me what $ you are looking for?

Never in 30 yrs of owning dogs & getting them spayedor any surgery actually have we needed to use a collar .

Personally i would just have the bucket on hand & see how the dog reacts without it

Agree.

I've never used a cone either and my greyhounds have a lot of injuries due to their thin skin. I use a liquid bittering agent I buy from the vet and put it around the wound, they both hate it. Stan is a chronic licker but this stuff stops him 100%.

Instead of buying expensive collars I'd do what Showdog said, just get the EC from the vet first and see how you go.

Medium size dog?

Use a 10 inch plant pot. Cut the bottom out leaving a rim if about 1cm. The drainage holes are now holes to thread the string through to tie it on to collar. They are good as they don't stick out so much that they get caught in doors etc.

Dogs adapt well to them.

Just need a water bowl that is narrower than opening dog can fit muzzle in to drink

Thanks everyone,

I ended up getting one of the Novacones that Aliwake was kind enough to suggest and I also picked up one of the Medical Pet Shirts, I will try the bitterant first and if that doesn't work I will have two good options and neither broke the bank. It will be great if I don't need to use either, but at least I will have them on hand if needed.