Cannabidiol - Medicinal Marijuana For Dogs?

Hi all,

I stumbled on a discussion regarding the use of Cannabidiol for treating dogs for seizures. There is currently a big fight ongoing for a couple who have used this to treat their poor child who suffers from severe seizures and I think some for of autism. There was a recent show on Sunday Night or 60 mins discussing the case. I think the case is in Victoria.

I believe that the THC is removed from the product so it can't be abused by stoners but there is still debate about the legalities even though the cannabidiol was administered originally by a doctor in the hospital.

Anyway I was wondering if this type of treatment is being used in Australia for dogs with recurring seizures? My limited understanding is that it doesn't cause the same problems that some of the common treatments do with kidney function over time?

I am not a pot user or advocate nor has my dog ever had a seizure - but I am curious about in this treatment, especially as a friend has a dog that recently had three seizures in a day and is now embarking on the lifelong treatment using the traditional pheno(something)?

Please note that I have no experience in this and I am not pushing an alternative treatment in any shape or form. :)

It hasn't been approved for human use here yet, because of resistance to the ingredients.

I doubt anyones asked yet for veterinary use.

Do you mean political resistance or physiological to the chemicals?

It seems to be getting used a fair bit in the USA, not sure what that is worth though??

It hasn't been approved for human use here yet, because of resistance to the ingredients.

It seems to be getting used a fair bit in the USA, not sure what that is worth though??

Political. I think acceptance in the U.S is patchy too, depending on your home state.

Political. I think acceptance in the U.S is patchy too, depending on your home state.

Fair enough, thanks for your comments :)

There are quite a few different options for seizure control these days that can be used alone or in combination- keppra, zonisamide are two that come to mind as alternatives.

Not to say that this won't be an option in the future, but we do have some choice right now.

There are quite a few different options for seizure control these days that can be used alone or in combination- keppra, zonisamide are two that come to mind as alternatives.

Not to say that this won't be an option in the future, but we do have some choice right now.

Thanks for your reply, it is good to know that there are more choices these days. It will be interesting in the future if Cannabidiol becomes acceptable and some serious studies can be done to compare effectiveness.

this type of treatment is being used in Australia for dogs with recurring seizures? My limited understanding is that it doesn't cause the same problems that some of the common treatments do with kidney function over time?

I am not a pot user or advocate nor has my dog ever had a seizure - but I am curious about in this treatment, especially as a friend has a dog that recently had three seizures in a day and is now embarking on the lifelong treatment using the traditional pheno(something)?

Please note that I have no experience in this and I am not pushing an alternative treatment in any shape or form. :)

That dog will be on phenobarb.

Meidcal marijuana for dogs is feasible for other aliments as well.

Glaucoma, epilepsy,cancer, pain relief, appetite stimulation and anxiety are some of the reasons.. I think it is made from hemp which does not have the TCH ( stone-factor).

It is still illegal to dispense here. There are more Vets in the USA prescribing this with good results.

http://alpinevet.com.au/marijuana-for-dogs/

Current (enough) news link

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/pot-pets-companies-make-hemp-laced-meds-fidos-n124826

Considering how some medications make dogs so very ill, I would consider this as treatment ubder the guidance of a trusted Vet.

:)

Unfortunately in some humans and non humans even these new generation drugs do not control seizures frown.gif

Unfortunately in some humans and non humans even these new generation drugs do not control seizures frown.gif

Yep :(

I know someone with children with epilepsy that is poorly (if at all) controlled by some pretty serious drug combinations and have a read a lot of the links they have shared on the sue of Canabidiol. It is good that it is starting to get discussed in main stream media. Hopefully proper studies and trials will be conducted.

Do dogs have some of the serious side effects to the epilepsy medications that people can have? Inability to control body temp, extreme mood swings and behaviour changes are the 1s that immediately come to mind.

Yes, dogs can suffer with mood and behaviour changes. Not sure about temp control. Other side effects are increased thirst, increased urination, ataxia and increased hunger as well as liver damage and the obvious effects of being on a drug designed to affect brain function.