Need Some Behavioural Advice For A Neighbour With New Dog

Little Gifts

I have a lovely, animal loving neighbour. She hasn't had a dog for about five years when her boy passed away from old age. Someone has given her an 18 month old shitzu-maltese cross. It is up to date on vacs and desexed. They said they were rehoming it because their children were too rough with it (apparently they have a very active and noisy home) but already I can tell the dog is an uber barker and I think that is why they rehomed it.

Yesterday my neighbour was in the middle of the road with a panicked look on her face. I was in my car and stopped in the street when she said her new dog had escaped the front door. She quickly grabbed the white ball of fluff and came back to me, still in the car. The dog was happy enough and she popped it straight in the car onto my lap for a cuddle. No barking, no fear, all tail wags.

After my appointment I dropped back in to see the new dog properly and see if she needed anything for it as she is on a disability pension and will go without for the sake of her pets. I get to the front door and the crazy high pitched barking starts. It continues as I am let in the door and the dog is showing the whites of its eyes so I stop looking at it and ignore it and walk through the house. We sat down at the kitchen table and the dog is right there still barking. She didn't seem to recognise that we had already met outside the house. None of the usually calming things I say do anything. I put my hand down to let her sniff it and she starts to growl and bare teeth. I am confident if I pushed she would bite or snap at me. It's tail is between its legs and it is looking fearful. It has already bonded well with my neighbour after six days though and she can pick it up even when it is like that. If she holds the dog I am able to touch it and is relaxed under my touch and not acting aggressively. It's all very weird.

The husband is in the backyard with some friends and as soon as they get to the back door the dog is doing crazy barking again. My neighbour tells me the dog doesn't seem to like men and that the dog also barks like this when it hears the neighbours next door doing something. The barking is so bad I can't help myself and first say a strong 'enough'. Dog doesn't stop. I clap my hands and the dog is distracted for a nano second. When I left the dog was still barking up a frenzy at the friend still in the house and has her kind of bailed up in the kitchen.

So we have a serious barker who is still getting to know her new environment. She did not bark or act aggressively outside her new home though - exact opposite. Inside the new home she is fearful and acting aggressively but once actually touched is fine. What suggestions do you all have that I can share with my neighbour? I was thinking about a squirty bottle just for the barking but given it is a new home and she has some fear I wasn't sure that was a good idea. I did talk to my neighbour about acknowledging her alert barks and then giving her a firm command to stop but I think this dog will just bark right through any commands given at this point. The barks are high pitched and ear piercing.

Thanks in advance!

This dog sounds very stressed. Try some basic training such as sit and drop and then reward it. Teach it to sit for pats and lots of walks, rewarding it when it is calm. Perhaps also get a crate and make it a safe place for the dog to retreat to when it is overwhelmed. If the barking persists teach it to bark on command then hopefully the barking will come under control.

It might be worth trying an Adaptil collar for 4 weeks, it may help the transition.

Alternatively they could try Natural Animal Solutions Calm

http://www.naturalanimalsolutions.com.au/all-products.html

or a supplement that has Tryptophan

https://www.pawbyblackmores.com/products/multi-tryptophan-chews

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/vetalogica-canine-tranquil-formula.html

Thanks for the advice so far. My neighbour is on a disability pension so I know she wont be able to spend a lot of money on products unless she has no other option. She has the dog booked in to training but I want to give her some tips she can start with now that are free or cost minimal. Sounds like the dog came from a house of chaos and that may have become normal for her where her new house is the ultimate of peace and quiet. My neighbour probably wont be able to afford a crate (mine would be too big to loan her) but we could easy rig up a cardboard box cave somewhere quiet in the house where the dog can watch from but feel safe. Also a good idea to get her focussed on her owner and training to reduce her stress and occupy her mind. She already knows sit. She's not overly food motivated but she does love her new owner so she would do it for pats.

The dog was probably traumatised by the kid's rough handling from a young age. Agree to try calming methods such as the adaptil spray and - if she can afford it - a thundershirt. Also crate training the dog may help as it is useful for highly stressed dogs to have a "chill out" zone.

The dog may take some time to adapt to its new surroundings.

Edited - I see money may be a problem. A firmly fitting t-shirt can help just as much as a thundershirt.

Edited by Rosetta

Little sachet of Good As Gold (horse supplement with tryptophan) is fairly cheap, around $10 for 50gms. Helps with stress.

(in addition to other help, I wouldn't just use it without a few other things in place like a crate/box and rewards etc.)

Edited by Powerlegs

I think the help you are offering is great Little Gifts,

They should be able to pick up a second-hand small crate for very small money through gumtree or similar. I understand that things are very tight on a pension but spending some money on a pet is unavoidable. I do however concede that $45 for an Adaptil collar is expensive but really at around $11 a week for a duration of 4 weeks could possibly be budgeted?

I appreciate the advice Yonjuro but I just know that she has to pace her expenditure as she just got the dog unexpectedly. She has proven herself to be a very committed dog owner over the years I have known her and she will spend what she needs to but I'm trying to give her some practical advice to start off with, then she starts training with the dog and might get some other advice. I don't want to overwhelm her with suggestions or impose anything on her, particularly if that conflicts with what the trainer suggests. I've given her some of the toys I make and have measured the dog to make some coats for her (free of charge). Can make her a little tight lycra t-shirt too. She knows we have toe nail clippers, good brushes, etc if she needs to borrow anything. If I see a cheap crate I'll probably buy it for her but we can do the box thing straight away. She has had a hard life, was my cleaner for many years and has been very good to me and my dogs so I consider it an honour to support her in whatever way I can now that she is in some need herself. She doesn't have much family that can support her.

Definitely needs calming medication of some sort and perhaps a safe place to go.

Poor little dog. If they are short of funds this might not be the ideal dog for them as it will need regular grooming which is pretty expensive.

She has already budgeted for a groomer. Her previous dog required grooming services so I'm not concerned about her neglecting any of that. I am however worried if the barking doesn't get under control that it isn't the right dog for them either. The dog doesn't like the husband already.

Thank you for the sachet suggestion Powerlegs. I might just buy some and give it to her and if it helps then I know she will keep up the supply as needed. I guess I'm just trying to maximise free or cheaper options at present for her to try to see if it helps at this early stage. I do think it's weird she has a different dog inside the house than what she has when it is off the property.

I appreciate the advice Yonjuro but I just know that she has to pace her expenditure as she just got the dog unexpectedly. She has proven herself to be a very committed dog owner over the years I have known her and she will spend what she needs to but I'm trying to give her some practical advice to start off with, then she starts training with the dog and might get some other advice. I don't want to overwhelm her with suggestions or impose anything on her, particularly if that conflicts with what the trainer suggests. I've given her some of the toys I make and have measured the dog to make some coats for her (free of charge). Can make her a little tight lycra t-shirt too. She knows we have toe nail clippers, good brushes, etc if she needs to borrow anything. If I see a cheap crate I'll probably buy it for her but we can do the box thing straight away. She has had a hard life, was my cleaner for many years and has been very good to me and my dogs so I consider it an honour to support her in whatever way I can now that she is in some need herself. She doesn't have much family that can support her.

You are an excellent neighbour and what you are doing is great :thumbsup: I can't really offer any other advice as what you have done and doing pretty well covers things especially as you say she is going to enlist the help of a trainer :)

It is also quite possible that things will settle down over the next few weeks with the advice you have already offered :)

I understand about the financial constraints. Personally thunder shirts have not worked for me. I have one here for a small dog that I am more than happy to send on if you can PM me an address. Also my small dogs have medium size crates which they are perfectly happy with, so perhaps you could lend her a bigger one to see how it goes. My crates are the soft ones that don't look like cages and look okay inside a house. My dogs go in their crates whenever young children visit.

I think the training should be started yesterday. Instead of telling the dog to stop barking tell it to sit and then it can be rewarded. i.e. focus on telling it to do something rather than telling it not to do something.

I do think she should persist with this dog. It is still young and has obviously had no training and they seem to have bonded already. I bet the previous owner decided to rehome it because it nipped one of the kids or one of their friends. Poor little dog.

I think it would take at least a month for the dog to adjust to its new surroundings.

Training might not help while it is still working itself into a state of emotional overload with little things. This is when drugs are usually prescribed, but time, patientce, gentle predictable handling, and rewarding good behaviour (tiny weeny improvements need to be marked and rewarded as often as possible) might also help.

I think having a safe place for the dog to be would be good. Like a box or a crate with covered sides or an igloo type thing.

And then loads and loads of relationship building games.

What do you mean by relationship building games Mrs RB?

And thank you Sarsaparilla, what a lovely offer but I'd feel bad if she didn't use it. I was going to make a lycra t-shirt for the dog next week because I wont be offended if she doesn't use it or it doesn't work. I've got some girly lycra fabrics and it wont take me long to whip up on the overlocker. I also need to make some notes about how/why they work and explain it to her. My soft crate is for a pei sized dog so is way too big but I've already got a nice box. It's weird too because I don't want to feel like I'm barging in and telling her all these things to do with her own dog but I know she is out of her element at present and needs some help.

Powerlegs I'm going to get some Good as Gold from our farm supply shop next week but how much should be given and how often? As it is usually for horses a math conversion of that nature would hurt my head!

So overall the plan is:

Calming strategies - Good as Gold and homemade thunder shirt

Safe spaces (box/crate)

Redirecting the barking to opportunities for training and reward (ie sit, treat rather than commands to stop barking)

Husband to feed the dog and engage in play with her, possibly even to walk her given she is calmer off the property.

Walking is an important part - along with medication - to help with anxiety. I had a Whippet/Iggy cross with terrible anxiety at Christmas, a basket case.

My vet put him on Prozac and I walked him twice daily (he'd never been walked in his 6 yrs) as well as working on behavioural modification. He progressed beautifully within a short space of time. Different anxiety issues to this dog but severe enough to make him unrehomable and very difficult to cope with.

within a few months he was weaned off the Prozac and lives happily in a new home that also practices careful dog management, ie don't behave in certain ways that create anxiety.

There's probably useful info on the internet on how to manage this dog's behaviour too.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Poor little dog is stressed and confused to the max having come from a rambunctious sounding home totally unsuited to her. Thank goodness you are on hand, LG, and that the little dog has an owner who is willing to do everything to help her and not give up.

Your list of strategies is a good one.

I also agree with Mrs RB about taking the dog to training. I'd be letting her get used to her environment, letting the owner become more attunded to the dog's personality and what sets her off, etc etc.

There is an organisation here (actually started and run by one amazing woman) called Rescue Resource. She sources and is donated just about anything and everything rescue groups and pounds could need. Is there any equivalent in Brisbane, I wonder, who would be able to help your neighbour with some supplies?

Regarding the barking even when the husband returns from the backyard, I'd be putting a lead on the little dog and when the barking starts, rein her in telling her, at the same time, to stop and that all is well. She should not be comforted at all in this process.

Good luck to you all. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

LG, message Aidan2 about the Good as Gold. He once posted the best explanation of how it works and what else to add. He should be able to work out dose rates. I lost mine long ago :o

relationship building...

feeding as much as possible by hand, ie as long as the dog isn't likely to bite the hand... hand feeding...

Other relationship building games...

collar grab... depending on the dog, you might be starting by reaching slowly towards the collar and making very slow progress across many sessions - towards the actually touching then grabbing the collar, with treats for each move in the right direction... eventually want to be rewarding for dog throwing their collar/neck into your hand...

its yer choice games - this is only ok if hand feeding is ok otherwise - I guess you could use treats on the ground and a small saucepan or plastic jug to cover them up....

But might not work if the dog is freaked out by sudden movement. Many get over this if they are in an environment they feel is safe and the food is yummy enough and they're hungry enough ie play games before dinner.

Hide and seek game on the floor - make self into a ball and squeak - reward dog for investigating... can progressively get more excited about "being found". My dog will play this game for dirty Kleenex - go figure.

Lots of massage and brushing and body inspecting games... starting like the collar grab, very slowly. Reward for dog holding position, then allowing touch then actually moving into touch etc, do the things dogs like - but leave plenty of room for the dog to leave if it needs, so ear rubs, butt (above the tail) rubs, chest rubs, and belly rubs if dog will allow...

I guess you kind of have to guage what the dog will cope with and when... if it's really terrified, and it's safe to do so (a big space) - dad might sit on the floor (less threatening), looking away or not making direct eye contact... and mum might reward dog for investigating or moving around the room while dad is there... just be really careful to only reward calm behaviour with food. Anything that is really undesirable like over the top barking or aggression, reward any break in this with a reduction of the pressure but if the dog is over the top barking - the trigger is too close to train or reward a better behavoir - so dad might have to sit in the next room...

But a behaviourist might be best to walk through all the steps.

I heard a story about a dog I could hear barking frantically from a house that was across the road from the park where I was - this dog the owners have decided "needs to toughen up" - so they've locked it in their shed... WTF - it's a Dachshund FFS - as if that will help a frightened dog or puppy. Tempting to ask the RSPCA to drop some educational stuff in their letter box or have a chat.