Dogs And Colorbond Fencing

BarbedWire

I have a colorbond fence on one side of my yard which is over two metres high. It worries my small anxious dog and she behaves as if something terrible is lurking on the other side. When I take her out at night time to do a wee before going to bed she often seems to think it's too dangerous because there is something on the other side of that fence and she won't do a wee but wants to come straight back inside again or she runs to me for comfort. I usually then entice her to the other side of the yard where she does her wee.

Some thoughts:

My other dog couldn't care less about the fence.

The neighbours behind the colorbond fence have young children and I wonder if it is their noises that have disturbed her.

She spends a lot of time during the day observing the neighbours at the back of the yard through the cracks in the paling fence.

I did read somewhere that it is cruel to put dogs in a yard where they cannot see out which is what happens with colorbond fencing.

Has anyone else had a problem with colorbond fencing?

Thankyou kelpiecuddles. I am not really asking for advice about her behaviour which doesn't bother me that much. :) Rather I am asking whether anyone else has noticed a problem with these fences. I know I deliberately made my gate wooden pickets so that my dogs could see out.

You do say that in your area colorbond fences are common, so presumably some dogs have them on all four sides. Does it bother them?

I like fencing like that. I find just from walking my dog around that it's the dogs who can see out of their yards that are the most reactive to things going on outside their yards.

Especially if they can both see out of their yard, and are quite close to the footpath.

I like fencing like that. I find just from walking my dog around that it's the dogs who can see out of their yards that are the most reactive to things going on outside their yards.

Especially if they can both see out of their yard, and are quite close to the footpath.

Yeah I agree.

Thankyou kelpiecuddles. I am not really asking for advice about her behaviour which doesn't bother me that much. :) Rather I am asking whether anyone else has noticed a problem with these fences. I know I deliberately made my gate wooden pickets so that my dogs could see out.

You do say that in your area colorbond fences are common, so presumably some dogs have them on all four sides. Does it bother them?

We took out older fencing. We added colourbond.

When we did that, we had two adult dogs who felt obliged to bark at the world. Soon as there was a new fence, barking stopped.

Now with the new puppy, he has no issues.

I wonder if the kids on the other side ever did something to spook your girl? Anxious by association here?

I hope you find a solution.

Good Luck

:(

Thankyou for these replies. Very interesting.

Yes VM I think she may have been spooked or she has heard the baby cry and I know I find baby cries sound like cats fighting. :laugh:

Sometimes I wonder if someone has looked over the fence and the head suddenly appearing has spooked her. I know once I had a dog at the vet and the receptionist who was behind a high bench peeped over to look at my dog which startled my dog who barked.

It is interesting that colorbond fences stop dogs barking though which could be very useful. I guess that if dogs go for regular walks they are not being deprived, but some poor pooches probably spend their entire lives behind colorbond fencing which must make the outside world so scary when they are no longer wanted and end up at the local pound.

We have colourbond on two sides, wooden fence on another and bamboo screening along the back and the dog in the yard at the back drives us INSANE with its barking. We can't go into our own yard without being barked at (and it won't stop until we go back inside), the dogs can't use the back half of the yard, and none of the neighbours of this dog can go out in their yards without it going nuts. The blocks are weird and our backyard starts level with the height of their 6ft fence hence not having a proper fence on this side I guess, no idea what the previous owners were thinking.

It's a poor little staffy that never seems to get taken out or interacted with but we're currently trying to find something we can replace the bamboo screening with so it can't see up into our yard anymore. Even at 3am when I go to take the puppy out it slams itself against the laundry door where it's locked in at night because it can see the shadows in our yard. Not a happy situation for anyone I imagine.

My dogs don't bark and completely ignore it thank goodness. But solid fences all the way here IMO.

We have colourbond fencing for the front fence and it's probably the best money we've ever spent on the dogs. They can't see cats, people or other dogs walking past so no barking or getting worked up. As far as anxiety goes, I'd say it's actually decreased anxiety because what goes on outside on the street is no longer their problem.

First thing I did when I brought my house was get new fencing colourbond all the way round. The gate is double and cost heaps but I don't want my dogs to see outside. they would bark like maniacs if they could see out.

Even before this I put black weed mat over the see thru gate to keep them happy.

I wouldn't be happy if me dog is spooked by the fence. For whatever reason the dog is put off by it. I would condition the dog to like, no, love the fence. Pair it with good things and recondition the dog to look at that area as a great place where good things happen.

My young dog was fearful. Fearful of caravans, trailers, basically anything out of the ordinary out and about. I would click and reward her for looking at it. Click and reward for any step towards a spooky thing. Click and reward for touches to the object. Eventually she would see straight away if she saw a spooky thing that if she went to the scary thing she got food. So I ended up with a dog that might put her paws on lots of weird things but she is happy.

Does that make sense to you? It really doesn't matter why she got a fright, you can help her so she is more confident and secure. Remember its all her choice at her pace. You can't force the pace.

You can get more info on this training if you want.

Good luck and colourbond is great.

First thing I did when I brought my house was get new fencing colourbond all the way round. The gate is double and cost heaps but I don't want my dogs to see outside. they would bark like maniacs if they could see out.

Even before this I put black weed mat over the see thru gate to keep them happy.

I wouldn't be happy if me dog is spooked by the fence. For whatever reason the dog is put off by it. I would condition the dog to like, no, love the fence. Pair it with good things and recondition the dog to look at that area as a great place where good things happen.

My young dog was fearful. Fearful of caravans, trailers, basically anything out of the ordinary out and about. I would click and reward her for looking at it. Click and reward for any step towards a spooky thing. Click and reward for touches to the object. Eventually she would see straight away if she saw a spooky thing that if she went to the scary thing she got food. So I ended up with a dog that might put her paws on lots of weird things but she is happy.

Does that make sense to you? It really doesn't matter why she got a fright, you can help her so she is more confident and secure. Remember its all her choice at her pace. You can't force the pace.

You can get more info on this training if you want.

Good luck and colourbond is great.

Thankyou skip, that's a really useful reply and it makes wonderful sense. She is easily spooked. She is a very anxious dog which I think might be genetic. I know about clicker training but I don't use a clicker. I use a marker word and then food as reward. I will start feeding her near the fence when the weather warms up. ATM they are fed inside.

edited to clarify my comment

Edited by sarsaparilla